PDA

View Full Version : Tutorals ??

harry strasil
08-19-2006, 10:59 AM
My wife asked me what I was going to do next when the Saw Bench Tutoral was done. Which got me to wondering.

I told her I have no idea how many Neanders are actually following along and making one and whether it is being well recieved or not or too boring. Also if I am making any mistakes or not or spreading it out too long with too many pictures etc.

This one was my idea and I have no idea whether people would want me to do any more on other things or even what they would want.

I would be most interested in your ideas and comments on these things.

Jr. Strasil

Ben Mullin
08-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Jr.

I'm definitely following along. I haven't started mine yet because there are too many projects crowding the workspace in front of it. It is definitely on my todo list though.

Since I have not been following along I can't say for sure that the directions are clear enough and have enough pictures. My impression however is that the directions and pictures are pretty good.

I really appreciate your presence here on SMC. You have quickly become one of the posters that I will always view their latest threads as I almost always learn something.

So thanks!

Mark Sweigart
08-19-2006, 1:00 PM
Harry,

I'm definately following along and find the sawbench interesting. I'm not actually building it (need to finish my bench first), but probably will at some point.

The tutorials are quite helpful, and I could see 2 main different types. One, which is what you are currently doing, is "how to build X" (in this case, X means sawbench). Another possibility might be basic joinery stuff, particularly the ones you don't always see (for example, how to make a dado using hand tools, plow a groove, etc.). What would be particularly helpful is different ways to do the same thing (so for a dado, you could use just a chisel, chisel and router plane to clean up the bottom, a stairsaw and chisel, or a dado plane). These types of tutorials would probably be rather easy to make, and very helpful for beginners who have not yet acquired certain tools.

Note that I used a dado in my example above because that is one of the few that I know the concept of using the different tools for. :rolleyes: Making a groove the length of a board, rabbets, etc. I only have an inkling.

As for what the next X (how to build) thing should be, I have no idea. I like the concept of making shop stuff, because if it ends up a bit ugly (gaps etc.) because you are starting out, it doesn't matter. Sawtill? Box that would hold some tools (chisels, divide rasps and files, etc)?

mark

Mark Rios
08-19-2006, 1:03 PM
Harry, you've got my vote and attention I hope you know. I am very appreciative of your time and your patience personally with me and my questions that I had earlier. Any of your experience, opinions and wisdom you can pass along to this amateur bonehead is greatly desired and appreciated.

Whatever your health can allow you to do, I'd LOVE to read.

And thanks very much again.

Martin Shupe
08-19-2006, 1:07 PM
Harry,

Please continue...

I don't have time to make one right now, but plan to make one in the future.

I have been very impressed with the time and effort you have put into this, and thank you for sharing your expertise with the rest of us.

I am migrating to the quiet side, but don't think I'll ever be able to leave my power tools completely. It will be a mix of noise and quiet for me.

Michael Cody
08-19-2006, 1:11 PM
I've printed all the stuff out and have it in a book. I am not building yet, still putting in PT fencing right now, but after another 20 or so posts and 400-500 pickets, the saw bench is my next target. I am mostly a turner and I've sold off almost all of my flat power tools, IE TS, Jointer, etc.. but I want to build some neander projects this winter.. got my saw vice ready, my 5 distons are sharp, gonna retooth and sharpen another old no-name backsaw into a tenon saw and have a couple Japanese saws, lots of chisels, #4 1/2, #5, #7 too.. plus I plan on building some more tooling & jigs. This is my first project to start in a month or 2, there will be pic's too.. The doc says I need more exercise, can't figure a more fun way that neander woodworking.

Larry Gelder
08-19-2006, 9:36 PM
I'm following along and doing the work. For the next project, I would like to make something that we bust out of a log like a stool or ... ?

Skills? split/rive, marking, drawknife, plane, etc.

Of course, we may need to make a shaving horse first!

Larry Gelder
08-19-2006, 9:39 PM
Amen, brother Mark!

Wendell Wilkerson
08-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Howdy Jr.,

My vote is for a tutorial on how you do your Parquetry/Marquetry by hand? The lids on your toolboxes are amazing!!! I am personally really interested in the tools you use. I saw some pictures on a Traditional Tools thread. I'd love to see the tools explained more in depth.

Wendell

Zahid Naqvi
08-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Amen, brother Mark!
Yup! what Mark said.

I am personally always interested in making my own tools (just made my first Krenov style plane). Anything on marquetry will be nice too, come tot hink of it any thing would be nice. My shop time is very limited, so I have to be very selective about what to indulge in. But I still enjoy and greately learn from accomplished woodworkers whenever the opportunity arrises.

Don Baer
08-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Harry while I am not realy a neander I do do somethings "the modern way" just today I took some panel that I had glued up and to flaten them out rather then reach for the belt sander I went for the smoother. I am a believer in using whatever tool best works for the situation and in this case a smother was the best choice. I had flat panel that were very smooth and burned no electrons. I follow your tutorials in the hopes learning a better way weather it's a new or old method. While I may not ever build a bench, you can bet I am learning a bunch from it. What ever you choose, trust that I'll be following the progress. The biggest thing I learned from taking a Sam Maloof workshop was that you should choose the best tool for a given operation. I saw him use a band saw, a router and a number of rasps to buld a piece. He believes in using the right tool weather it power or hand to get the results.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into your postes.

db

Doug Littlejohn
08-22-2006, 5:41 PM
such as another tool. I am already building up my version of your portable becnh and will find it a great help in my coming together shop. It's big enough to have real value and use as a bench, yet it won't take me a year or two to build.

I have stored the whole tutorial ready for use.

So, given the examples I have seen of your work, anything you do will be something I will be keenly interested in. I hope to build along with you on the next one.

Thanks Harry.

Sherwood

Mike Henderson
08-22-2006, 7:04 PM
How about "How to Make a Bow Saw"?

Mike

harry strasil
08-22-2006, 7:36 PM
Funny, I was actually thinking of a framed Veneer saw, altho I haven't talked with Mike W yet if he would be able to make the webs or frets for them.

Bob Noles
08-22-2006, 8:46 PM
Harry,

I have been following your posts with much enthusiasm although I have not been able to start a project just yet. I appreciate your time and sharing of experience so much. I do hope you will continue and stay with exactly the format you have been using. I find it to be very informative and I am also printing this wisdom to paper for future use.

Thaks so much for all you do for us newbies.

Doug Littlejohn
08-22-2006, 10:05 PM
ohhhh, a framed veneer saw. That would not only be really cool, but usefull as well. Yeah, sounds real good. Can't wait to see.

harry strasil
08-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I have been a member since 2003 I think and I went away for awhile making blueprints on iforgeiron, then I hurt my back and can't do my job hardly at all, so I thought I would antagonize some WW's and then Alan Duboff kindly told me in a post. { NO, that is not a neander tool and if you have to ask this is probably not the place to post it while you learn what one is.}

That post upset me just a tad so I just started posting some of my things to irritate him LOL. Besides I love to make tools, blacksmithing and WWing.

Larry Gelder
08-28-2006, 8:42 PM
Have you decided on the next tutorial?

harry strasil
08-28-2006, 8:48 PM
some kind of tool preferrably, Mike W has consented to make saw blades for saws. I like to make tools and tools are not as long and drawn out a project as furniture, besides if you make the tools first, you can make furniture or whatever to suit you.

Larry Gelder
08-28-2006, 9:06 PM
Bow saw project?

Alan DuBoff
08-28-2006, 9:43 PM
Harry, go ahead and blame me, I'm ok being the cause of you posting neander posts here!;)