PDA

View Full Version : Sawmill near Elida, OH (outside of Lima)

Michael Cody
08-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Any of those Ohio guys know anything about this mill? My son is going to school this fall (starts monday) @ NW Ohio University and I've driven by this sucker on 309, heading into Lima, several times but usually w/o time to stop by or on a weekend... Just curious if it was worth a stop in..

Greg Ladd
08-19-2006, 6:39 AM
Michael,

Congratulations on your son starting college. I assume he is going into the Auto/Diesel program??? From what I hear, it is one of the best in the country. They are certainly expanding their curriculum and facilities. I have some friends that work there...good people. I hope he has fun. I have one starting at the University of Cincinnati in a few weeks.

This sawmill is about 5 miles from my house. It is where I buy all of my lumber.

I would say prices are decent but not necessarily great. For example, 4/4 kiln dried cherry is currently at $4/bd ft. My brother is paying around $7/bd ft in Cincinnati, so I guess I can't complain but it would probably be less in Pennsylvania. That being said, I have generally been very pleased with the lumber I have gotten there and cannot complain about the convenience.

They usually have a decent selection of hard and soft maple, walnut, poplar, red oak, basswood and cherry. Most all of these are available in 4/4 and 8/4 thicknesses.Right now they are out of 4/4 cherry but are expecting some any day. (I believe they purchased cherry from another company.)They do have a straight line rip saw and will skip plane; both for a small fee of course.

I think they are open until around 4:00 pm through the week and until 12:00 on Saturdays.

All in all a decent resource for me due to the location and fair prices. I would say it is worth a look.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Michael Cody
08-19-2006, 1:40 PM
Thanks for the info Greg.. 4$/BF for cherry is good, it's 6-7$ most places here in MI, I have a source occasionally for 4-5$ but they aren't too reliable. I am not in a bind or anything, but convenient sources are always handy. Since the boy is driving by there on a regular basis and has a pickup(plus the fact he killed my old beater one, so I am pickupless now), if I need something and the price is right, it will make for a good combination. I can trust him to pick good stock.

As to the school, Zack is starting Diesel/Auto Tech program. He wanted straight automotive but I pointed out to him he can work during school and go longer if he wishes for more classes, but upfront Diesel techs make a lot more money and have a lot more job opportunities so he was going to get that first. Since I was co-signing the loans I was able to convince him. ;)

He's even got an offer for a part time job in the area, since he's got to come up with his own spending/rent money he's got to work while down there .. so hopefully he'll do well. He's always had a knack for finding paying work, been working regular since he was 13, so hopefully he can do what he wishes and come out with the degree he wants.