PDA

View Full Version : Laser Pro Mercury 25 watts X motor Problem

Harry Radaza
08-18-2006, 10:14 PM
help...

my laserpro mercury 25 watts suddenly stopped and displayed " X motor Problem".

Turning it off and on makes the platform go down on the z axis as usual. but the carriage never does the Homing thing. It just constantly displays on the screen " Initializing Please Wait"

With the power off, I could freely move the carriage up and down along the Y axis. However, the motor is stuck on the X axis and I cannot move it left to right (normally you can move the carriage freely with the power off.)

Took out the cover and checked the red and blue wires from the board on the right side and it is fine. same red and blue wire on the carriage and it is snug. the 2 black wires on the carriage leading to the auto focus probe is not loose either. the auto focus plunger moves easily when pressed.

Going str8 to the Y motor, I turn the gear at the end of the Y motor and it freely turns which in turn moves the carriage up and down.

Going str8 to the X motor, I turn the gear at the end of the X motor and it does not move at all. very hard to turn.

Is the X motor the problem ? Or is there some kind of auto lock which freezes it ( I heard there is if the auto focus is malfunctioning which it is not from above, but not sure how true this is ).

I am hoping it is something simple and quick to remedy instead of the motor.

By the way, I am running a huge order of wood plaques and have been running the mercury and the universal 24 hours for 2 weeks running. I just recently noticed that the airconditioning is not really cool. just normal room temp.

Could the temp in the area affect the motor if it was the prob or some other part (chips, etc ) ?

Also notice HUGE debris from cleaning the exhaust area. Guess this is to be expected from wood.
Need immediate help please.

Jim A. Walters
08-18-2006, 10:50 PM
You might try removing the belt to make sure the carriage head will move on it's own. Once the belt is off, try to turn the pulley on the motor. If you are lucky, it might only be a bearing in one of the end pulleys. They are a standard bearing.

Jim

Joe Pelonio
08-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Harry,

I'm not familiar with the laserpro, but as to the debris, that is normal. My recent wood job of 250 items resulted in a heavy buildup. I used a compressed air blowgun with the exhaust fan on the areas I couldn't reach to vacuum. Most of our low wattage CO2 lasers are air cooled and so the cooler the air the better for longevity of the tube. I don't know if there is a performance issue but I'd definitely crank up (down?) the A/C when running all day.

Dave Jones
08-19-2006, 5:21 PM
I don't know the laserpro, but if it used to be easy to move it on the X axis with the power off and not now, you might check the rails/bearings to see if there is something there that might have gummed it up. Wood residue can be very sticky and can act like glue when heated.

Harry Radaza
08-20-2006, 12:10 AM
well what do you know...

soon after I posted the topic above, the dealer returned my call. 2 hours later he was in the shop with spare parts. after a quick check, he agreed it was the X axis motor. He brought a spare with him, replaced it back, did general cleaning on the machine and I was good to go in about an hour after he arrived.

Now that's Service.

The funny thing is, the night before the motor broke down, I was pondering wether it was time to buy a 3rd machine. So, after the dealer fixed my 2nd machine I went ahead and issued a check for the down payment of my 3rd machine. Can't go wrong with the service they have given me.

Apparently, because of the heavy engraving on wood, and non cleaning of the x axis rails, the residue has built up on the x axis rails and was really sticky. This caused the carriage to ask for more power from the motor which ended up burning up the motor.