PDA

View Full Version : Box for Church Auction

Mike Hill
08-18-2006, 5:35 PM
The pictures below are of a box I built for our Church auction in September. It's almost done, just needs to be rubbed out. Walnut, Cherry, 7 coats of Lacquer and hand rubbed after tomorrow. The question from the Auction Chairman is where to start the bidding and what is it worth? I have no idea, but can say it has $30 to 40 worth of Limber and about 3 days work in it!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to start the bidding at and what it might bring??
Thanks
Mike

tod evans
08-18-2006, 5:46 PM
mike, i`d suggest starting the bidding at your material costs and have the auctioneer tell the folks bidding how much labor you`ve got in it and see where it goes from there.....02 tod

Charlie Plesums
08-18-2006, 11:35 PM
It is worth over $200, but you have the psychology of a charity auction to consider... doesn't look good for you or the charity if there is only one buyer who is really interested in it, and they only want to pay $20.

On my web site are several that have sold for at least $150, and don't have dividers, hinges, or the other nice features yours have.

Brian Kent
08-19-2006, 12:19 AM
I recently made a simpler walnut box, without hinges or dividers, which sold at a church scholarship silent-auction for $45. A higher starting bid gives people a clue that this is valuable.

Norman Hitt
08-19-2006, 2:00 AM
Mike, it kinda depends on how affluent the membership or auction attendees are. Due to the high quality of the box though my First thought for a starting bid would be $100, and definitely not less than $75. If you think I'm too high, then just drive into Austin and look for anything similar at any of the gift shops, and I think you will see where I'm coming from.

Be sure to write a short description for the Auctioneer to announce, including the kind of wood/woods used, features of the box, ie; lining, dividers, brass hinged lid, nice decorative corner pins, X number of coats of hand rubbed finish, etc. I wouldn't give the actual cost of the wood and materials, just have him say Handcrafted from "Expensive Wood", and top quality materials.

Good Luck, and hope it brings a Ton for your charity.

Doug Jones
08-19-2006, 2:02 AM
I haven't a clue as to how much it will bring or what to start the bidding at. What I do know is I like what I see and the cause behind the effort.
My hat is off to you, and your talent.

Mike Hill
08-19-2006, 3:37 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will recommend they start the bidding at $75.00 and see what happens. To be frank, it just feels good to do something good with my hobby. It seems like with some more experience and knowledge, I could make a little money out of this. I have severall offers to make cabinets for people, but have never done it. So I need to experiment a bit and build something for the LOML :) .
Mike

Corey Hallagan
08-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Mike it is a beautiful box. I hope it brings a ton! Good luck and be sure to let us know.

Corey

Ellen Benkin
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I also think that once your work is known it will go for much more in the future. If your church has an auction every year, your boxes will be featured items and will sell for ever increasing prices. Great work and good for you to put in so much extra work to make a product for a good cause.