PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users?....Power supply troubles?

Mark Rios
08-18-2006, 4:32 PM
Just a heads up to the Mac users here.

I've just found out that there is a recall of the Macs (maybe only G5's?) regarding the power supply and the computer just shutting off inexplicably.

My local Mac reseller store owner is a frined of mine and when I called him he told me about the recall. Apparently it's what we, in the auto dealership service tech realm, would call a "TSB" (Technical Service Bulletin), a factory paid for fix IF the problem comes up. :D

Anyway, if you're having power supply trouble, or if you THINK you may be having power supply trouble ;), You might get ahold of your local Apple service center.

Larry James
08-18-2006, 9:19 PM
Mark,

There is as on going power issue with some G5s, dated February, 2006 at http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

eMac, G4 user for over 4 years - NEVER a virus or any component problems! No anti-virus software! Is this a Mac user gloat? YES.:cool:

Larry

Charlie Velasquez
08-19-2006, 4:17 PM
Mark,
eMac, G4 user for over 4 years - NEVER a virus or any component problems! No anti-virus software! Is this a Mac user gloat? YES.:cool:

Larry

Started with a used Apple III in '85 and have never looked back.
Just today, after trying for a couple of hours to purge my wife's Windows machine of 31 recently acquired viruses and spyware programs, - after doing the same thing on Thursday - (obviously Norton's couldn't find all the problems) I laid down the law... no more financial transactions on her Dell and change all passwords to financial institutions using my Mac. No confidence at all in XP!

Kevin French
08-19-2006, 4:35 PM
Mac users swear by their computers, PC users swear At them.

I won't touch SWMBO's pc

Thrid Mac, never have and will never go south.

John Shuk
08-19-2006, 5:56 PM
I'm glad I switched. I'm not in the serial number batch either. I find that shocking given my luck most of the time.

Ken Werner
08-19-2006, 9:21 PM
Just to clarify - the problem is with G5 iMacs.

Tim Morton
08-20-2006, 8:20 AM
Just a heads up to the Mac users here.

I've just found out that there is a recall of the Macs (maybe only G5's?) regarding the power supply and the computer just shutting off inexplicably.

My local Mac reseller store owner is a frined of mine and when I called him he told me about the recall. Apparently it's what we, in the auto dealership service tech realm, would call a "TSB" (Technical Service Bulletin), a factory paid for fix IF the problem comes up. :D

Anyway, if you're having power supply trouble, or if you THINK you may be having power supply trouble ;), You might get ahold of your local Apple service center.

Mark, its not really a "recall" that is going on...that would be to suggest that you HAVE to send your mac back for a repair regardless as to if it is showing any of the symptoms or not. Apple does what they call a "repair extension" program where after troubleshooting your computer problem over the phone for this particular problem they may opt to have you send it in for repair, or come to your house to make the fix. These are for very specific fixes. I have scoured all the usual mac boards this morning and have not found anythign "new"...aside from the one larry pointed out for first generation G5 imacs.

Mark Rios
08-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Mark, its not really a "recall" that is going on...that would be to suggest that you HAVE to send your mac back for a repair regardless as to if it is showing any of the symptoms or not. Apple does what they call a "repair extension" program where after troubleshooting your computer problem over the phone for this particular problem they may opt to have you send it in for repair, or come to your house to make the fix. These are for very specific fixes. I have scoured all the usual mac boards this morning and have not found anythign "new"...aside from the one larry pointed out for first generation G5 imacs.

You're right Tim and I apologize if I wsn't clear enough in my third paragraph. I tried to clarify with the TSB analogy. Thanks for the clarification.

Greg Koch
08-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Had me worried for a sec... I run a dual 2.0Ghz G5 processor tower.... Then I saw it was only the iMacs, which are great machines. Started with an Apple IIC, then 512Ke Mac, which I still have. Now run the G5 tower and a mini. Wouldn't be without my macs!