PDA

View Full Version : large cabinet door question

Todd Reinbold
08-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I've been asked to build a built-in cabinet that has 4 doors that are each 6' by 2' in the shaker style with 6 glass panels at the top.
My question is, what would be the best way to build it to keep it from racking? I was thinking of using bridle joints for the corners and mortise & tenon for the middle rail.
thanks Todd

Chris Padilla
08-18-2006, 3:27 PM
Sounds good...how about pinning the corners with a dowel? You could make it decorative.

Todd Reinbold
08-18-2006, 3:46 PM
Thanks Chris, good idea. Do you think I would need to use stock thicker than 3/4" ?
Todd

Chris Padilla
08-18-2006, 4:10 PM
3/4" should work fine

good snug joints/shoulders should prevent any racking

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-18-2006, 4:59 PM
Hmmmph. I thought it was going to be a "large question" about cabinet doors.

Imagine my frustration when the question was well phrased succinct and tidy?

What is this world comming to?

Lars Thomas
08-18-2006, 5:15 PM
Depending on the hinge type, you may want up to four hinges to mount the doors.

Jamie Buxton
08-18-2006, 7:50 PM
Shaker style, hunh? That means flat panels, not raised, right? If so, make the panels from plywood, and glue them in. They become great big gussets, and completely prevent racking.

Me, I'd make the rails and stiles from stock thicker than 3/4" -- more like 1 1/8". A piece of lumber 6' long and 3/4" thick flexes quite a bit.

Mike Cutler
08-18-2006, 9:12 PM
I like Jamie's idea about using the ply for the lower panel,and the increased material thickness for the visual aspect,and the strength/stability.

I'm curious why you want to use an angled bridle joint, and not just an M&T for the corners? It's not a criticism, just a question.

I'm asking for two reasons. The angled bridle is typically used in a low strength application, picture frames, light panel frames etc.. I also happened to be looking at an original Limbert bookcase earlier this week, and it had a very simple, but elegant angled bridle joint for the door corners. The joint was cut in such a manner as to allow an inset for the glass to lay in. I'm going to try to replicate the joint/door this weekend for an upcoming project. The bridles on these doors were blind pinned from the reverse.It was pretty clever.

Todd Reinbold
08-22-2006, 9:24 PM
sorry about not getting back sooner.
Thanks Jamie for the advice, I was thinking of using solid lumber for the flat panel, but your idea sounds much better.
Mike, I meant to say open mortise-tenon, for some reason I was picturing that when I typed bridle joint. I was thinking that it would offer more glue surface area.
Todd

Mike Cutler
08-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Todd.

If Shaker is the look that you are after, you may want to PM Jim Becker, or Jason Tuinstra. They can probably give you some suggestions on authentic period joinery in the Shaker style. I'm more of an Arts and Crafts style/Art Nouveau guy.

It sounds like an interesting project, be sure to post some pic's when you're finished, and maybe a few along the way