PDA

View Full Version : Fonts

James & Zelma Litzmann
08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Good Morning, hope you are all having a good day.

I have another one of those questions, I am looking for a particular font and can't seem to fine it, unless I am overlooking it (which is very possible). I am attaching a picture so if any of you know what it is or where I can go to find out, it will be much appreciate.

James & Zelma (Psalms 18:2)
"Inscriptions Of The Heart"
Huntsville, Texas

Mitchell Andrus
08-18-2006, 1:45 PM
This looks hand drawn, or at the very least is a heavily modified stock font. You can do this with a good graphics program and a little butt-in-the-chair-time.

Mitch

Joe Pelonio
08-18-2006, 1:49 PM
This is something that I have to go through many times a day, and it can be very time consuming. I have several thousand fonts but people still come up with others.

In this case, looking at the L, K, & N, I'd say that this may have started as 2-3 different fonts, then has been altered by the designer of the logo.

Looking at the E, the I, and the S makes me think that they are not from the same font. Often designers do that to make it harder for anyone (like you) to do work for the customer without them first coming back to the original designer for the job or at least for the artwork.

Pete Simmons
08-18-2006, 1:52 PM
If you do not find the font there is a guy, Pete Bertram who does bitmap to vector conversion for $12. I have used him many times all with great results. PM me for his address if you want it.

Dave Jones
08-18-2006, 2:27 PM
Even the curve on the two "K"s don't seem to exactly match, so those are no doubt modified from the original. And the curve coming off of the "N" is unnatural for a font. An "N" does not have a tail like a "K", "R", etc... So the logo creator has certainly taken some liberties with these characters.

James & Zelma Litzmann
08-18-2006, 2:37 PM
That's what I thought, that they had altered the text. Thanks guys, at least I don't feel so inadquate now, not able to find the font . . . whoever heard of such a thing??? :rolleyes: I have Pete Berternd address but thank you sooooo much, I had not even thought of him, so I will contact him now. You all, or as in Texas ya'll have a great day and I still say you're all a GREAT bunch of people, guys and gals!

zll

Joe Pelonio
08-18-2006, 3:27 PM
At some point it may be worth the time to learn tracing yourself, paying someone to do it once in a while is fine but you'll find that more people want things cut out that are bitmaps.

Instead of paying out, charge $60/hour and keep the money. I use Corel 12 or Streamline but I hear that Corel X3 has an outstanding trace function that minimizes the cleanup time.

James & Zelma Litzmann
08-18-2006, 3:36 PM
You are absolutely correct. I need to go ahead and fork over the money and go Corel 3X, I hear it is really good. I've just been procrastinating. I do some of my own tracing but this is for the . . . how do I say . . . the country club here in town and I really want it to look good as I do with anything . . . hey, I think you all know what I mean.:rolleyes: You all have a great day.

zll

Mike Null
08-18-2006, 8:54 PM
I agree with Joe on the fonts but not necessarily about the designer's motives. In my view this is an exceptionally well designed logo.

Anyway, I believe there are two fonts both of which have been stylized. I have attempted to trace it with X3 with no success. The drop shadow effect is messing up the trace and while that can be eliminated from the trace there would still be more than an hours work to do. (at least for me)

If you need a vector version of this logo Bertrand is the answer.

Wil Lambert
08-18-2006, 9:19 PM
One way to trace it fast is to print it out and get a good old Sharpie marker out. Hand trace the lettering and scan it back in. The run Corel's trace function on it. Works like a charm on most designs. It will be faster than trying to do it all in the pc.

Wil

Dave Jones
08-19-2006, 5:12 PM
You should be able to eliminate 80% of the dropshadow before tracing by increasing the contrast and brightness first. But there's still going to be a lot of touchup.

Joe Pelonio
08-19-2006, 6:32 PM
I agree with Joe on the fonts but not necessarily about the designer's motives. In my view this is an exceptionally well designed logo.

Mike,

I agree that it's a nice logo, and didn't mean to imply that motive on the part of this particular designer. I have found though, by talking to graphic designers and recent graduates in graphic design that I have hired, that many companies specifically request custom and mixed fonts that cannot be matched, to make their logo unique and harder to copy without authorization. Some are also taught in their marketing classes how to ensure that the customer will go back to them for additional artwork, with unique fonts and colors. I've made signs where the customer paid their graphic artist more for the design than they paid me for the sign.