PDA

View Full Version : New Tool (of sorts)

Vaughn McMillan
08-18-2006, 3:52 AM
OK, so technically it's not only for woodworking, but it be used in conjunction with it, and it'll also help feed one of my other hobbies.

I found someone selling a new, unused Nikon D50 digital SLR with two Nikkor lenses for a good price. (He received it as a gift, but already had a better DSLR, and needed the cash.) It’s Nikon’s entry-level DSLR, but at 6MP, it’s got all the resolution I figure I’ll need for a long time. It came with the stock 18-55mm auto focus zoom (roughly the same as a 28-80mm lens on a 35mm SLR), as well as a 70-300mm (roughly 105-450mm equivalent) version. I added a 1GB high-speed memory card, and it uses the Secure Digital memory format – the same as my other still camera and the “still camera” function of my digital camcorder. Although it’s Nikon’s least-expensive DSLR, it’s very highly regarded in the reviews I’ve read, with better performance than many more expensive cameras, including the Nikon D70, it’s bigger brother. To see the full specs and a very thorough review, this site (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d50.asp) covers it all.

Here are a couple quick shots (with my old camera) to show it off:

45090 45091

And here’s a shot I took from across the back yard a little before sundown, with the long telephoto. I was trying for good depth of field. I think I nailed it. This is with no tweaking of the camera controls – heck, I hadn’t even opened the Quick Start Guide yet – just letting it run in Auto mode:

I think I’m going to be very happy with this camera. Even though I know my way around a manual 35mm SLR pretty well, I still have a lot to learn about getting the most out of this newfangled technology stuff.

In the process of camera shopping I also learned first-hand about the web sites that offer photo equipment at prices that are considerably lower than the better-known stores. I initially ordered a similar D50 setup from Genuis Cameras, at a price that seemed very good (roughly what I paid for the rig I got today). After placing the order, I got an e-mail telling me I needed to call their toll-free number to confirm the order. Turns out, this place is a sleazy bait and switch outfit. First, the guy on the other end of the phone tried to sell me lens filters (at very inflated prices). When I said no, he then tried very hard to convince me to upgrade to the high-speed memory...again at about 3 times the market price. No to that, too. Next he asks if I want the battery and charger, "or do you have on already?" he asks sarcastically. Huh? That's not part of the factory kit? I reviewed the list of "included items", and sure enough the battery and charger were not listed. Of course, they wanted about $200 for the charger and $180 for the battery. (A quick check on eBay says I could get the equivalent for about 1/10 that price. On a bad day.) At that point I told the guy to cancel the order. He hemmed and hawed a bit, so I made it CLEAR that the order was cancelled. (Had the conversation been in person, I'd have been inches from his face. I have a real short temper with slimebags.) The puke. :mad: I followed up the conversation with an e-mail message stating the same...and that I'd seek any legal recourse necessary should any charges appear on my credit card as the result of this cancelled order.

Afterward, I did a bit more research and discovered Genius Cameras (as well as several other names they operate under) has extremely low satisfaction ratings on sites such as Froogle.com, and customer reviews showed my experience was the norm, not the exception. (Some folks even reported that when they sent their camera in to Nikon for service, Nikon informed them the camera was stolen, and confiscated the camera.) These guys are bad news, and I would recommend avoiding them at all costs. (I'm going to be keeping a daily watch on my credit card for unauthorized charges. Some folks reported that, too.) As they say, if the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

Now you'll all have to put up with more pics from the blonde guy.

- Vaughn

Mark Rios
08-18-2006, 4:45 AM
Vaughn, congrats on the new tools. Nice depth of field shot. What's your lens' speed?

I've had good luck with B & H Photo and video:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com:80/bnh/controller/home/

and Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/

I've bought some fairly expensive lenses ($1000-$3000) and a couple of F-100's and an F5 body from B&H with no trouble although one was grey market. I got it exchanged with no trouble. Usually they don't try to pass off the grey market stuff but KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AND WHAT YOU ARE GETTING BEFORE YOU GIVE THEM YOUR PLASTIC. Of course, if you WANT grey market you can get it a little cheaper as well. IIRC they usually have US and grey market prices listed seperately in the catalog. B&H is actually pretty good when you talk to them on the phone and you sound like you know what you're doing (I've got them fooled:D ) Sometimes other online sellers will have lower prices but on a $1000 item it's only been about $50 cheaper. Not nearly enough to sway me not to buy from reputable B&H.

They've got good prices on film too if you ever shoot film. If you buy film, check the date on the package immediately though and send it back if it's not current. I've never had bad date trouble though from either of the two above companies.

Vaughn McMillan
08-18-2006, 5:33 AM
Mark, I've bought in the past from B&H, and even had a chance to visit their store in NYC several years ago. It's an amazing place, if you ever get the chance to go there in person. I went to buy an underwater camera for scuba diving...still haven't gotten it wet, since I broke my back not too long after buying it and haven't gone diving since :(.

Not sure if these are the speed numbers you're asking about, but the 18-55mm lens is an f/3.5-5.6 (it's the Nikkor AF-S DX) and the long lens is an f/4-5.6 (the lower-end G model). The little lens is very fast and quiet when auto focusing; the big lens is a bit slower and noisier, but still does well. Neither of the lenses are top of the line, but they both have good reviews. Sounds like your stuff is a few leagues ahead of mine. ;)

Speaking of US vs. gray market camera stuff, mine appears to be the US version, since there's a warranty form that specifically includes the US and its territorities. (Of course, it also says I need proof of purchase to file a warranty claim, but I'm betting if necessary, I can tell them it was a gift and I have no receipt.)

Happily camping...

- Vaughn

Andy Fox
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Vaughn, sounds like you got a good deal and a nice range of focal lengths there! 450 mm is nice to have, especially in such a small lens (thanks to the size of the digital sensor)!

B&H has always done well for me too.

I sacrificed my Tamron 80-200 mm lens to gravity about 5 years ago in the Great Smoky Mountains. Wet shoes and smooth rock are a dangerous combination. I slipped near the edge of a cliff at Laurel Falls, :eek: :eek: :eek: and my camera and 80-200 lens (on a tripod) crashed down on the solid rock--heading for the edge of course. I broke the fall and secured myself from going over the edge just in time to grab the bottom of the tripod legs as the camera and tripod began a slow, bouncing descent toward The Edge.

The lens took the brunt of the impact, but being polycarbonate, it did not shatter. The barrel of the lens was bent to the point that it would not focus or zoom, but the optics were functional. The aluminum lens mounting ring on my camera (Pentax ZX5N 35 mm) was bent and one screw yanked from its threads, but somewhat useable. The lens was trashed, but I repaired the camera myself for about $20 in replacement parts.

I didn't really get a photo I was happy with of this waterfall, so here's someone else's photo:

http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np-image.grsm6781.html

Mark Rios
08-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah, that's the only difference, the warranty. Either you get stuff with a US wrranty, or you get to move to another country to get your stuff covered under warranty (if it breaks). :D

Sorry to hear about your back and not being able to use your underwater camera. Is it Nikon (Nikonos)? Any underwater gear is a lot of dough to have just sitting around, as I'm sure you're feeling every time you look at it.:D

Looking forward to more of your pics.

Lee DeRaud
08-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Nice score!

Now you'll all have to put up with more pics from the blonde guy.Just hope we don't have to put up with more pics of the blonde guy...:eek: :cool:

Jim Becker
08-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Excellent! I'm a D70 owner and love it...the D50 actually has some improvements on the older model. It's nice to hear you have the SD card format...I buggered the CF slot pins on my D70 on vacation and it's costing me close to $275 to get fixed "as we speak".

BTW, I really like the 18-55mm lens that is "standard" on the camera...it's really a 28-80mm equivalent as you state due to the CCD size and I pretty much leave it on my camera full-time. It's pretty versatile. I only bring out the longer zoom lens when I can use a tripod and that's usually for shooting wildlife, etc.

Enjoy!

Frank Fusco
08-18-2006, 12:12 PM
My son has a D50 and he is a ve-r-r-r-r-y picky camera customer. He loves his and has won several photo awards with it. Recently he upgraded to the newer, and more expensive, Nikon digi-cam. There are several Nikon digi forums. If you want to know what they are, write me and I'll ask him.
BTW: B&H has a good reputation. They do tell you what you are buying up front. Still, those New York City order takers always seem to be in a big hurry and can be frustrating to deal with at times.

Robert Mickley
08-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Thats going to be the next one I buy, just have to quit buying woodworking stuff to make it fly.

Lucky Dog :D

Vaughn McMillan
08-18-2006, 2:04 PM
Thats going to be the next one I buy, just have to quit buying woodworking stuff to make it fly.

Lucky Dog :D
Yeah, it was a tough decision knowing I'd have to refrain from buying any woodworking stuff until my bank account catches back up to normal. ;)

Sorry to hear about your back and not being able to use your underwater camera. Is it Nikon (Nikonos)? Any underwater gear is a lot of dough to have just sitting around, as I'm sure you're feeling every time you look at it.:D

I bought the Sea Life (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=409188&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation) rig. I noticed in looking it up today that it appears to have gone down in price since I bought mine. (I also bought the Pelican case to go with it.) After I got my scuba certification, I went wild and bought the full compliment of equipment (BC, regulator, dive computer, custom-fitted wetsuit, and even my own tank). Still have it all, with the intention of diving again someday. I'm physically able to do it now, but it's an expensive hobby. Right now I'd rather spend my money doing woodworking stuff. ;) And maybe the occasional camera. :D

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan
08-18-2006, 2:06 PM
Nice score!
Just hope we don't have to put up with more pics of the blonde guy...:eek: :cool:
Lucky for you that SMC doesn't allow attachments to PMs. I'd be deluging you right about now. :rolleyes: :p :D

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
08-18-2006, 2:14 PM
Lucky for you that SMC doesn't allow attachments to PMs. I'd be deluging you right about now. :rolleyes: :p :D

- VaughnAaarrrgghh!!! My eyes, my eyes!! Make it stop!!

Vaughn McMillan
08-18-2006, 3:06 PM
Aaarrrgghh!!! My eyes, my eyes!! Make it stop!!
That's exactly what I say every time I walk past a mirror. :D

- Vaughn

Roy Hatch
08-18-2006, 3:18 PM
Vaughn,
It sounds like you cancelled the deal with "that company" just in time. I suspect that had you continued you would have had one of your worst nightmares. Unless you already know with whom you are dealing, a stop at www.resellerratings.com (http://www.resellerratings.com) could save a lot of grief. Take a look at the rating for the company you mentioned - it's the worst that I've ever seen. I have used their site mostly for technology. I don't know that they would help with companies that sell machinery.
Roy

Christopher Stahl
08-19-2006, 1:40 AM
Vaughn,
Congrats on your new purchase. The D50 is a fine DSLR. I purchase my equipment from Keeble & Schuchat in Palo Alto. They are an outstanding shop on california Ave. I've purchased a D200, F5, F100 and many lenses from them over the years. They've always provided excellent service and I always talk to Mario. B&H is also very good along with Adorama as Mark mentioned.

Geniuscamera.com is one of many of the scam sites that will not sell you the camera unless you buy additional equipment at top dollar. They don't include the battery or charger and they want you to purchase it seperately. You'll know when you find one of these sites when they ask you to call them after you place your order.

When it comes to higher end camera equipment, you'll get what you pay for. Those prices you see from those sites are just too good to be true.

Enjoy the new DSLR! :)