PDA

View Full Version : without putting the cart before the horse...

Ned Bulken
08-17-2006, 9:31 PM
I'm taking a day off tomorrow, only feeling a little guilty... because I'm taking it to go check out a local cabinet/woodworking shop who advertised for help this week.
M-F full time. 'must have knowledge of woodworking tools'. Hmmm, I think I have that... let's hope so. It just might be the ticket out of my high stress job that the LOML says is making me into a real 'bear to live with' (this a month into the marriage. ruh ro...)

I'm not burning my bridges, but I'm sure 'looking.'

keep your figners crossed, I might be turning Pro.

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Ned,
Family comes first and if you can take care of the family and be working doing something you love then all the better.

Dennis Peacock
08-17-2006, 10:47 PM
You Go Ned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you buddy!!!!!!

Scott Donley
08-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Never hurts to look, good luck, and the best !

Bob Childress
08-18-2006, 8:01 AM
Go for it Ned. I finally figured out around age 40 that getting up in the morning with a stomach ache thinking about going to work was no way to live. :eek:

Not only did I solve that problem, things turned out better in many ways financially than they would have if I had continued doing what I was doing. Some well-known business person said (I can't remember who at the moment) "Making money is easy. Figuring out what you want to do is the hard part." I now live by that slogan every day.:)

Eddie Watkins
08-18-2006, 9:19 AM
Good Luck, Ned. I hope it works out for you.

Eddie

Jim King
08-18-2006, 9:28 AM
If you are a beast to live with it says something. I went thru many years of being unhappy even tho I had everything. The answer was simple, I was born a hunded or so years to late for the US at the time. One day I got on a plane , went to Africa and came back a different person. Now over 20 years living in the armpits of the world and I wouldnt change a thing and neither would my wife who absolutly needed and had everything she ever dreamed of. Now instead of getting her nails and hair done she does it for the amimals. Much better and simpler this way.

Jim Becker
08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, that could be something "completely different"! It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Best wishes, Ned!

Ned Bulken
08-18-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm back...

I got a tour of the shop. It is definitely a factory situation, however they have 'all the tools' and more that they need. They are going to work up some numbers and get back with me. I expect that if I'm offered the position, that I then would be at an 'entry level'. That's fine by me, I didn't expect to go in as an expert. Evidently they did hire someone earlier this week, but since I'm employed currently, and this is a 'change' job, I don't mind waiting if they have a position open up later. Honestly, if they come 'close' to what I'm making now, I'll be sorely tempted to move on.
One thing I did notice, is that it sure was Noisy in there, and I have a bit of a hearing loss already. I'm sure though, that earplugs are available, as are ear muffs etc...

I'm definitely going to pursue other options, whether or not I go there, or take another position elsewhere. Where I'm at is Not making me happy, so I'm going to keep on looking.

Rob Bodenschatz
08-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Good luck with that Ned. A word of caution though. Everyone has access to the internet now-a-days. Including your employer. While we love to be kept up to date, know that they may be watching. You may not care but it's just something to keep in mind.

Ned Bulken
08-18-2006, 12:39 PM
good point, but honestly, if they find out, so be it, I'll find 'something' if they terminate me.