PDA

View Full Version : Am I Doomed?

Lou Morrissette
08-17-2006, 7:26 PM
It's amazing what a quick trip to Woodcraft's to buy a book can lead to. From what I've been reading here tells me I'm in big trouble.:( Luckily I had the lumber for the bench in the shop. But then came casters, hardware, 8" bench grinder, beginner lathe tools, Wolverine jig and of course, appropriate new grinding wheels for the grinder. Am I doomed?:eek:

Lou

Ron Jones near Indy
08-17-2006, 7:31 PM
Seems like you have the fatal infection.;)

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 7:42 PM
YUP your doomed. welcome to the abysse. Say good buy to your wallet and flat works tools and say hello to a whole new world of consumer spending..

singing "another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust.."

Gary Max
08-17-2006, 7:58 PM
All you need now is a large trash can and a big dust pan.
Your are doomed.
Welcome to the spinning world.

Cecil Arnold
08-17-2006, 8:08 PM
In a word Lou, YES! You have taken the first step on the slippery slope and are indeed doomed to enjoyment and near instant gratification--sometime.

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2006, 8:21 PM
Yep Lou, its over. Your flat work tools will now collect dust like mine. Welcome to the vortex.

Andy Hoyt
08-17-2006, 8:24 PM
Congrats Lou.

Just put the proper mental spin on it. Because "doomed" implies an action yet to come, I think it's therefore safe to say - since it would appear that you just equipped yourself quite nicely with just about all the essential stuff - you are actually abysserated.

Well done! And welcome to this branch of the Creek.

Keith Burns
08-17-2006, 8:38 PM
Welcome to the spinny world Lou. All I can say is.........................................ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Nope, but you ARE assimilated into the Legion of the Lathe!

Petty Officer Bruce
Legion of the Lathe

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Nope, but you ARE assimilated into the Legion of the Lathe!

Petty Officer Bruce
Legion of the Lathe

Petty Officer Bruce shouldn't he get browney points for getting a RIKON...:D

Like your and mine..:D :D :D

Corey Hallagan
08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Definitely... sucked up another! Nice looking set up Lou!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Lou...........Do you have a finished shop?.........If so you're not doomed...you're just about to find out what fun is!...........Now if you're like somebody I think I know well........who started turning but doesn't have his shop done.....turns on a diving board.......ain't go no money .......has a little wood......is still working full time and can't turn full time......That my friend is doomed!

Nice set up Lou! Enjoy the ride! I sure do!

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2006, 12:39 AM
You're doomed alright Lou. :D Now it's time to see all those way too familiar lathe curlies laying all around the floor. Congrats!!!

Glenn Clabo
08-18-2006, 7:04 AM
The perfect storm has formed over Cape Cod...close the shutters and spin a striper bonker.

Jeff Myers
08-18-2006, 9:10 AM
and the Fat lady has sung again!!! Welcome to the creek Lou!!!

Jim Becker
08-18-2006, 9:56 AM
The Grim Turner has visited you and you are officially doomed...er...abysserated!

Glenn Hodges
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Welcome Lou, if we can help you let us know. If we can't then you are in trouble big time....then really doomed.

Frank Fusco
08-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Next time you show a picture, I want to see a bunch of shavings on the floor. ;)

Jim Underwood
08-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the Vortex, where all your money is turned into chips and shavings...:eek:

Ah... but doing it is so much fun!:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
You are SOOOOOOO doomed............ and you will love every minute of it :D

Welcome!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-18-2006, 2:03 PM
Yes, Lou, you are. :)

Welcome to the Vortex!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-18-2006, 2:13 PM
NAAAAAAAAA, Don! But it does show he has "CLASS"!!!!!!!:D

Bruce;)

Tom Sherman
08-18-2006, 9:34 PM
Get a good grip Lou and enjoy the ride it can be wild at times. Nice looking set-up you have there, waay to clean though but that will change soon.

Lou Morrissette
08-20-2006, 11:15 AM
The perfect storm has formed over Cape Cod...close the shutters and spin a striper bonker.

Glenn,
If I remember correctly, most of our weather here in Falmouth comes from the west (RI), so you must be partially responsible for the "perfect storm" I'm in.;) Come to think of it, just about everybody in SMC is west of me. How could I ever resist?:D

Lou

Glenn Hodges
08-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Lou, I have a tee shirt from Falmouth, Mass. from when I was fishing up there about 2 years ago. I will be back up in Sept.

Lou Morrissette
08-20-2006, 1:23 PM
Glenn,

Let me know when you're coming up and maybe we can hook up. I sure could use all the help I can get from experienced turners.

Lou

Claude Arragon
08-20-2006, 3:55 PM
[quote=Lou ... Am I doomed?:eek:
Lou[/quote]
I am so sorry for you! You got the "Turniensis Virus", and you'll never be cured :D

Ed Breen
08-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Abyserration Is Funny,
It makes a cloudy day sunny,
It takes away all your money!
Oh well -just give in
Spin and spin!!!
Ed

Thomas Canfield
08-21-2006, 9:57 PM
Get ready. There seems to be an endless list of necessities that follow. I am waiting on a second bowl gouge to arrive (need two different profiles for bowl work), additional scraper, polishing system, and of course different polish material to go with my used Jet mini lathe purchased about 6 years ago. Pen turning can be a lot of fun ( and require some additonal items), but the bigger items such as bowls, saucers, and hollow forms seem to be more fun. Then you stretch the ability to cut blanks with the 6" clearance on your bandsaw and start thinking about a riser kit or larger band saw. A chain saw is also handy to work with some of the free wood that is out there.

Yes, you have taken the plunge, but it is a trip worth while. Good luck. Hope there are some mentors or group around to give you some pointers. They also help to determine what you really need to get started and avoid ending up with some turing tools that you never use. They also really help build confidence to go on to more complicated work.

Your stand looks great. I am in the process of thinking about one, but always seem to have other projects with more importance. I have my lathe sitting on an old portable base cabinet from a radial arm saw I built back in '68 and have some cardboard backboards to keep the chips from getting behind. Starting to turn bowls recently, I learned that you need to work at the end of the lathe for some of the inside work and the cardboard has been trimmed several times to work out the clearance issur for the bowl gouge. Your grinder may present you with some clearance issues in that regard.

Good luck. You have at least mastered the picture procedure and got past the picture police.

Lou Morrissette
08-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Tom,
I'm now in the process of ordering a chuck, a few lathe tools I know I'll need and I should be turning shortly. I spent a week in Corpus Christi a while back and managed to relieve my brother of a couple of nice chunks of mesquite. I'm looking forward to seeing what those beauties will give me.

Lou

Claude Arragon
08-22-2006, 6:04 AM
Do you ever work with wood in that workshop?
Itsė cleaner than my dining room :)
I love it!

Mike Jory
08-22-2006, 2:56 PM
LOU... Resistance is futile...Welcome, this is a great group. BTW, Nice looking shop. Mike