PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee 5625

Clint Gauthier
08-17-2006, 5:51 PM
I bought the Milwaukee 5625 on Amazon a few weeks ago. The router I recieved has approximately 0.004" end play measured with my dial indicator. I notified Amazon who sent a replacement very quickly, but the end play is even more than the first. I contacted Milwaukee and was instructed to bring the router to a local service center. However, the reputation of both of my local service centers is poor at best.

Should I return both routers, or just live with the end play as is? The Milwaukee representative did not mention the possibility of sending the router back to the factory, so apparently this is not an option.

Thanks!

pat warner
08-17-2006, 5:59 PM
Damn.
The latest: They have a fix for this, yet they're still selling tools with the problem.
I have one, same problem. Manifests itself on fine work, especially annoying on the aluminum I do. Got the same story too. Wanted it fixed, they said send to a service center (80 miles) and they can decide whether there is a problem or not.
Bottom line: The cutter occilates up & down and does effect finish and if you're chasing precision you can't get it with this router.
2 bad ones in a row, you've been inconvenienced enough; get a PC 7518.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Clint Gauthier
08-20-2006, 8:33 AM
Is there any wy to repair myself? I looked at the exploded veiw of the router from Milwaukee's website, and I don't see a way of adjusting the endplay.

I now wish I had gone with the PC7518. In the past month, the price on Amazon has incease 10% and is close to double the price paid for the 5625.

Oh well, I still have my big 15 year old Elu plunge router with zero endplay.

Allen Bookout
08-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Clint,

I have not done anything about mine yet but here is the fix.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32667&highlight=5625

Let us know how you make out. I am going to try to get to it next week. I was thinking about trying to get them to send me the wave washers with instructions on how to install them as I do not really want to ship it. I guess that they are now saying to take them to a repair center.

Allen

Jerry Olexa
08-20-2006, 11:06 AM
And I just bought a new 5625 a few weeks ago. Haven't used or tested. (sigh..) How are you testing yours? Thanks

Allen Bookout
08-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I tested mine by putting the router in a table, setting a dial indicator on the top, and pulling up and down on the shaft. Mine only moves .003 at the most and I have used it quite a bit with smaller bits including rail and stile bits and it works fine, real smooth and accurate. The only reason that I was going to apply the fix is that I have some raised panel bits and since they are so large I do not know how they will work. I think that they will be fine but have not tested yet. I do not work with aluminum as Pat does. I think that is where it would really show up.

I have a 5615 and it has no end play.

Allen

Jerry Olexa
08-20-2006, 12:32 PM
I tested mine by putting the router in a table, setting a dial indicator on the top, and pulling up and down on the shaft. Mine only moves .003 at the most and I have used it quite a bit with smaller bits including rail and stile bits and it works fine, real smooth and accurate. The only reason that I was going to apply the fix is that I have some raised panel bits and since they are so large I do not know how they will work. I think that they will be fine but have not tested yet. I do not work with aluminum as Pat does. I think that is where it would really show up.

I have a 5615 and it has no end play.

Allen

Thanks Allen..I'll try your thought..What's a good source for a dial indicator? I have the linear sliding calipers but no dial...Thanks

Gary Curtis
08-20-2006, 3:25 PM
About the time I bought the Milwaukee 5616 several forums had complaints about the slop in the router shaft. Mine is still in the box, so I don't know if it is affected.

To check yours, you can buy a digital dial indicator at Harbor Freight for about $18. Lee Valley sells one for $32. It might be a bit more accurate. I've got the HF version and it could detect variances up to .0005" when I calibrated the sliding table on my table saw.

Good luck.

Gary Curtis

Allen Bookout
08-20-2006, 7:37 PM
I do not remember where I got my dial indicator so no suggestion on that device.

When I bought my 5625 users were reporting bearing problems with the PC7518 and I already had a Milwaukee 5615 and really liked it so my choice was the 5625. Also it did not require a lift for above table adjustment which I have since found out that I seldom use anyway.

In any case, as I said before, the end play on my 5625 is .003". I have not had any trouble with it with small bits so this afternoon I put in my raised panel bit with an undercutter and cut a test piece using 3/4" MDF. There was no chatter and the cut was clean and accurate. However, after hearing the sound of that large bit going round and round, I did cut it using two passes. Using the two pass cut the big Milwaukee plowed right through it with no problem. I am sure that the big PC would have also.

I do not think that the minor end play will make any difference with what I use it for. However, I will probably try to "get the fix" anyway as time goes on as I know that the end play should not really be there.

Click on thumbnail for larger view.

Jerry Olexa
08-20-2006, 8:23 PM
Thanks Gary and Allen..