PDA

View Full Version : A Makeover

Shelley Bolster
08-17-2006, 5:39 PM
The message is gone, so am I

Chris Barton
08-17-2006, 5:45 PM
Hey Shelley,

That's a great conversion. I also like your logging operation! Looks like you can make all the lumber you can find space to dry. Have you gotten a mositure meter yet? I bet that juniper smells great, just like cedar with a hint of elk?:D

tod evans
08-17-2006, 5:52 PM
shelley, first try using a 3-4 tooth rip blade for your logging and resawing, feed slow and i think you`ll be supprised to find it`ll cut well with the 1 horse motor. on my bandsaws i don`t run anymore than 4 teeth per inch whatever i`m doing and for big resawing i use a 2 tooth blade. use as wide a body as you can fit for resawing, you might be able to fit a 3/4" blade on that saw? i use 1/4" 4 tooth for scrolling.

nice job on the rehab! use it for a while before you change motors i think you`ll be supprised what you can do if you use the right blade and take your time. most 14" saws use 93-1/2" blades see if they`ll fit `cause they`re a dime a dozen.....02 tod

tod evans
08-17-2006, 5:55 PM
Hey Shelley,

That's a great conversion. I also like your logging operation! Looks like you can make all the lumber you can find space to dry. Have you gotten a mositure meter yet? I bet that juniper smells great, just like cedar with a hint of elk?:D

chris, i`m bettin` it smells quite a bit like the tanqueray i like:D

Michael Stafford
08-17-2006, 6:11 PM
Since it was/is/could be a meat saw once again I guess the wood chips could be used for smoking meat as well....:p :D

Very creative solution and frugal as well!

Helen Gee
08-17-2006, 6:49 PM
neat!! that is a way creative solution and good reuse of tools :p . I love the size of your BS table ;) (both the original one and the one you made). Now you have to show us pictures of what you end up making with the beautiful juniper wood, maybe some boxes??? ;)

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 7:17 PM
Shelley,
Great job on the makeover. How does the motor drive the saw, does it use a belt grive ? Take a picture of that part and I be better able to tell you about fitting a new motor to the saw.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-17-2006, 7:31 PM
Wow, very cool and inventive Shelley! I love the juniper [I think it's in the same family as Cedar]...it's beautiful!!

Shelley Bolster
08-17-2006, 9:10 PM

Chris Barton
08-17-2006, 9:21 PM
Wow Shelley, that's one retro looking bandsaw, even for a meat bandsaw. I was looking at the pictures again and have to believe that you could make some blade guides out of scrap metal fairly easy. I really like seeing a tool that is used to its fullest. And, like Tod said, that juniper flavored elk has got to taste great! Suddenly I have a craving for tonic water?

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 9:36 PM
Shelley,
The good news is that it is a belt drive and it looks like theres room for a longer motor. When you get a chance look to see if there is a "Frame size" on the name plate. It will say something like a 143 Frame or some such. Then it is a matter of finding a larger motor in the similar frame motor. For instance if it's a 143 frame 1 HP motor maybe you can find a 145 frame 2 HP motor. This would mean that the new motor will bolt into the same foot print. If the mtor is wired for 110 Volt at 2 HP you might want to look at upgarding the service to the motor to 230 volts. Also make sure that the RPM is the same.Probubly 1750 RPM for that saw.If you can't get the same frame size then it will require some modifications to the motor base (mounting plate) and perhaps a differant bor pulley for the motor, but all are doable. Feel free to E mail or PM me if I can help.
I know you Canuks are very resourceful so this is definitly do able.

db

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 9:52 PM
Oh and Shelley,, While your out shopping for a motor look for a second one attached to a lathe. That wood would look incredible in a bowl or a platter..:D

Shelley Bolster
08-17-2006, 10:00 PM

Shelley Bolster
08-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Shelley , this is proubly the motor you have

http://www.baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&page=1&catalogonly=1&catalog=L3510T&product=AC+Motors&family=General+Purpose%7Cvw%5FACMotors%5FGeneralPu rpose&hp=1%2E00&phase=1&winding=35WGX945&rating=40C+AMB%2DCONT

and this is a 2 HP brother(or sister) that would work in it place and be a drop in replacement. Look around though and check into leeson motors also they are basically the same motors. There are several online source for mtors that are a lot less expensive then the suggested manufacturers list price for motor. If you would like I'll give you some web sites to check.

Dennis Peacock
08-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow Shelley!!!!! Great conversion and I really like the jig for cutting small sized logs like that GREAT IDEA!!!!! :D

Vaughn McMillan
08-18-2006, 6:27 AM
Nice conversion Shelly, and I really like the juniper. I've turned a couple little pieces of similar-looking juniper that were trimmings from our yard, and the colors are great...just like your new home made boards.

Being a meat saw in its former life, are any parts of the saw and cabinet made of stainless steel?

- Vaughn

Shelley Bolster
08-18-2006, 9:52 AM

Jim Becker
08-18-2006, 9:59 AM
Ya know...when I saw the title of this thread, I wasn't sure what to think! But it turned out to be a very neat adaptation! Great job, Shelley!

Jesse Cloud
08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Classy project and a great post! Thanks for all the pictures and explanations. I have a lot of dead juniper on the property, was going to throw it away - not now!!

Chris Padilla
08-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Nice job, Shelley! The juniper sure looks puuurrtttyyyyy! Might be an interesting bookmatch, too! :)