PDA

View Full Version : Finding Floor Joist (squeaky floor)

Aaron Beaver
08-17-2006, 4:33 PM
I have a squeaky area in one of my upstairs room that I want to get rid of. If I could locate the joist I could use this thing I bought (called Squeeek No More, or something like that) where you screw a screw down into the floor and joist and then take this tool and snap off the head so it is below/flush the plywood floor.

Problem is my stud finder will not work through the carpet and padding so I not sure what the best way is to find the joist, I not even sure which way they run. Any suggestions.

Thanks for any help
(I also posted this in another forum just wanted to see what answers I might get here)

Rob Russell
08-17-2006, 4:36 PM
Pull a little of the carpet back so you can see where the nails are that fasten the plywood to the floor joists. That'll give you a pretty good idea as to where the floor joists are. ;)

FYI, the floor joists on an upstairs floor generally run from the bearing wall in the middle of the floor out to the walls. It'd be an odd house that was framed differently.

Joe Pelonio
08-17-2006, 4:55 PM
Can you get to the ceiling under it? If so, find the joist from below and do some measuring off the walls to transfer upstairs. I just did some wiring and found what Rob said, the bearing wall is in the center of the house going across left/right (between the side walls) and the joists go front to back.

tod evans
08-17-2006, 5:21 PM
aaron, try a small diameter drill bit, do a hole in the closet first to see if your carpet unravels before trying the center of the room...02 tod

Aaron Beaver
08-17-2006, 5:30 PM
Can you get to the ceiling under it? If so, find the joist from below and do some measuring off the walls to transfer upstairs. I just did some wiring and found what Rob said, the bearing wall is in the center of the house going across left/right (between the side walls) and the joists go front to back.

Nope can't see the ceiling from below. I can see joist in the basement but that is below the floor I am not looking at.

Joe Pelonio
08-17-2006, 5:32 PM
Todd, that's a good suggestion. I found the hard way that berber will wrap around the bit and unravel, but short pile was OK. I couldn't try it in the closet because they have cedar floors but I could have at least tried it behind the couch. If it does unravel cut a small slit with a utility knife, lift and insert a short piece of PCV pipe or have a kid hold it open, and drill.

Mark Rios
08-17-2006, 5:38 PM
Hey...these are good tips. I feel just like I'm reading Home Handyman. :D :D :D

WTG guys!!!!!

Chris Padilla
08-17-2006, 6:33 PM
Take a good old-fashioned wire-hanger and make yourself a quick 'n dirty small-diameter drill bit. Snip one end away and the other at about 45 degrees. Leave the burr...that will be your cutting edge!

This little beauty will often go through carpet of all kinds will little problems because of its small diameter. It can also be very handy that this 'drill bit' can flex, too. :)

Robert Mickley
08-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Finishing nails make good drill pits too, never tried a coat hanger

Ben Grunow
08-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Just get on your knees and hit the floor with a hammer. Moving back and forth you will be able to feel the joists (hammer will not bounce back as much) and the sound will be a little higher pitch when hammering over a joist. Similar to knocking on the wall to find a stud behind sheetrock. Try and youll see how easy it is.

I find it helpful to lay a tape measure out on the floor so when you think you have found a joist you can tap around and see if there is another one 16" o.c. to double check yourself. Good luck.