PDA

View Full Version : Delta unisaw #36-829?

Mark Rios
08-17-2006, 2:32 PM
Is this the model number of a unisaw? I searched and looked on Delta's site and the closest I found was a 36-830. Maybe it's an older model?

There is one for sale locally (I'm waiting to hear back if it's still available) and I'd like to know a little about it before I look further into it.

Thanks very much for your input.

Mark Rios
08-17-2006, 9:00 PM
It's available and the guy wants $1200.

Any ideas yet?

Thanks very much.

John Kain
08-17-2006, 9:28 PM
This is a link to a manual giving 36-829 to, specifically, the base unit.

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/Owners%20Manuals/20021115200000_En%20422-04-651-0063%20%20-%2001-15-02.pdf

Hoa Dinh
08-17-2006, 9:32 PM
You can get a new Unisaw (or a Jet with some goodies) delivered for $1550. See it here (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2557767&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14). The web site is www.timberlinetools.com. Just ignore the prices on the web site. Call Jeffrey Duncan to order.

I'm not saying $1200 is bad - just want to offer a reference point.

Mark Rios
08-18-2006, 1:26 AM
Thanks VERY much guys. The links and the manual were a big help. I've emailed the seller for his address and if he answers then I'll report back and let everyone know what I found.

Thanks again.

Mark Rios
08-18-2006, 7:00 PM
I just went to look at the Delta TS today. It was a Delta Unisaw and in great condition but it had 7' rails on it and it won't fit me and my situation. It's the model on the bottom pf the Manual that John linked, The Limited Edition one with every thing listed. It's in GREAT shape and it hasn't been used much at all. It was really hard to let it go but the rails were just too long and I couldn't justify cutting it down so I didn't even get to talk price. :(

However, he also had a number of other tools/machines for sale; His whole shop actually.

One of his tools is a Delta 1440 lathe. It iincludes a set of Delta tools (gouges?). I don't know what kind of chuck or special plate thingy or whatever it is that you folks look for. It, like all the rest of his tools, were prety much in almost not used condition and very much stock so the chuck thingy was probably stock as well.

He is asking $375 for the whole lathe set-up. Is that good?

He has a Delta B.O.S.S. Spindle Sander for $100. I might go back and look at that again.

He lists a Sunhill 8" jointer. Actually, i'ts a GEETECH Sunhill copy. He wants $500 for that. I don't know anything about GEETECH other than the name so I don't know if that's a good price or not.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. Looks like I get to order a new Griz. :D

Oh yeah, he also has some 8/4 x 8 1/2" (+/-) x 9' s4s cherry. Two stick just laying on edge on the floor of his garage. YIKES!!!!!! I wouldn't begin to know what to offer for those. :D

John Shuk
08-18-2006, 7:25 PM
If the boss is still available I'd jump on it.

Mike Henderson
08-18-2006, 9:03 PM
If I lived closer, I'd buy that Unisaw - since you decided to pass on it. But it'd be a long drive for me. I'd have to cut the rails down, also, but I'd be willing to do it to get the saw and the Biesemeyer fence.

Mike

Mark Rios
08-18-2006, 9:55 PM
If I lived closer, I'd buy that Unisaw - since you decided to pass on it. But it'd be a long drive for me. I'd have to cut the rails down, also, but I'd be willing to do it to get the saw and the Biesemeyer fence.

Mike

P. Michael, if I could get it for $1000, do you really think it would be worth buying and cutting the rails? Is it that much more of a saw? Again, I'm comparing it to a new Griz 1023SL.

And also, there is the matter of getting a Brand New version of this saw for $1550 delivered, according to the above link that Hoa posted. Does this change the value of the used Delta?

BTW, the Delta is a right tilt. I'm a little leary about that but I guess it would jsut be a matter of getting used to it, do you think?

Mike Henderson
08-18-2006, 11:18 PM
P. Michael, if I could get it for $1000, do you really think it would be worth buying and cutting the rails? Is it that much more of a saw? Again, I'm comparing it to a new Griz 1023SL.

And also, there is the matter of getting a Brand New version of this saw for $1550 delivered, according to the above link that Hoa posted. Does this change the value of the used Delta?

BTW, the Delta is a right tilt. I'm a little leary about that but I guess it would just be a matter of getting used to it, do you think?
Mark, I haven't done research on all the options you mention but I am looking for a decent priced cabinet saw, and have kept an eye out for prices. I agree about the right tilt - I'd prefer a left tilt - but people who are more experienced tell me that both are safe if you use the right procedures and get accustom to what you're using. I've used both in school.

Thinking this through again, there's one thing that makes a lot of difference - a cabinet saw is something you'll live with for a long time so it may be worth it to spend a few extra bucks and get exactly what you want. Maybe I answered too fast last time.

Although I really don't want to spend that much money, I think I'll wind up getting a saw with a riving knife for safety - It'll be the saw I'll use for the rest of my life.

Mike