PDA

View Full Version : Air compressors oil change?

Nick Zentena
08-17-2006, 2:10 PM
Can I use any synthetic oil? I think the manual claims I can use Mobil one but will the no name work fine?

How well will the compressor handle being left all winter in the garage? The local place has a tiny one for sale . Big enough to handle inflating tires and other smaller tasks. It would save me the hassle of pulling the hose up from the basement were the current machine is.

Ken Garlock
08-17-2006, 3:10 PM
Hi Nick. When I bought my Ingersoll Rand compressor, it came with synthetic oil under the IR label. I have been a fan of Amsoil for years, and use it in anything that has a crankcase. :)

Not knowing what part of the planet you live on, it would be hard to say if the compressor would care. My 5hp, 50 gal., unit sets in an unheated, but insulated, garage and hasn't complained in 4 years. I think our low temp has been about 10 degrees, but is more typically in the 20s in the 'dead' of winter.

Nick Zentena
08-17-2006, 4:36 PM
I think 10F might be a normal winter night but sometimes it does hit -30 :rolleyes: I just looked at the flyer again and the little unit they are selling really is tiny. Too tiny I think.

But the store brand oil is less then half the price of the Mobil and I know the shop isn't making any oil.