PDA

View Full Version : Request For Comments

Raymond Overman
08-17-2006, 1:52 PM
With all the recent posts regarding critiquing, I'm interested in critical thoughts on this piece. I'm interested in the 167 people who viewed it the first time I posted it to tell me what they think of it and what could be improved or what they like about it. Thank you for taking the time to take a second look. I look forward to reading your comments.

The title of the piece is "John 6:1-15"
Spalted Pecan
Semi - Gloss Laquer, Black Gesso
9" diameter by 4" tall

Top View
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44772&d=1155528399

Bottom View
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44773&d=1155528411

How's that for letting people know what I want out of this thread?

Scott Donley
08-17-2006, 2:00 PM
1st one- Stargate SG1, You asked :D
2nd one- sure wish I could find a piece of wood that nice ;)
3rd- someday I will be able to do that " I hope "

Vaughn McMillan
08-17-2006, 2:20 PM
Raymond, keep in mind the source of these comments...a rookie who's just learning. I approached this in the same manner we do "impression tests" of new software or advertising ideas -- we briefly show some pictures to the survey participants, then ask what their initial impression of the image was, and what it made them think of.

First pic: The first thing I noticed is the bowl has thicker walls than what I usually see. Not bad, just different. Then I notice the carving and gesso work on the rim and the thick wall makes sense. The carving itself, while done well, is not really my cup o' tea, but I'd guess it will communicate well to many other folks. My first impression of the carving is that it reminded me of hieroglyphics. Sort of a primitive look.

Second pic: I'm with Scott on this...that's a sweet piece of wood. For some reason, the wood figure seems to add to the "primitive" look. The outside form looks to be on the money to me. I notice a couple places that look like they were chipped or torn out, but that again adds to the primitive feel for me.

Not sure what I'd do to improve it. I like and admire the work in it, but it's not really a style that grabs me and says "buy this". I'm betting there are folks that it does grab, though.

- Vaughn

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-17-2006, 2:43 PM
I agree with Vaughn on the first impression of the first pic. I personally am of the opinion that if the rim was undercut just a smidgeon, it may lend to a lighter feel. I also would tend to round over the transition from rim to exterior, smoothing it out a bit. This may lend to a more vertical surface for the embellishments, but I think overall that may lend to an easier feel to the piece.

The other thing that I have in mind is the figure of the wood. This wood is highly figured, and to me, a highly figured wood needs a simple form, so that the figure may be the primary point of display. If this piece had been made in holly or maple, I think the embellishments would "fit" more.

CAVEAT: These are my opinions.

Keith Burns
08-17-2006, 2:54 PM
Raymond, my first impression of this piece is that I like it. The form is good, perhaps undercut the rim slightly. The rim treatment/carving as I recall was done with a new tool and this was your first attempt with it. Something with the carving doesn't look right to me. Perhaps empty looking, a little to much open/black space. I still like the direction you are heading with your work.

Jeff Myers
08-18-2006, 8:44 AM
Raymond,
Since you requested,,IMHO, that wood was too beautiful to add embelishments to. A simple bowl out of that wood would have more appeal
to me. I'm not much into carvings so this bowl isn't my cup of tea. For
a larger audience, I'm sure that piece will appeal to quite a few and on display with other items at a show, having something for everyone is what it's all about,,,choices. I do like the texturing techniques you've shown
on other work.The random texturing style fits turned bowls and HF's very nice and really compliments the piece to set it apart from straight turnings, much more so than actual images/carvings. I do have appreciation for your talents and the way you keep trying new ideas and techniques and can appreciate the time/effort it took to carve those designs.

John Timberlake
08-18-2006, 8:51 AM
Generally, I like the piece. Nice simple form with meaning to the carving on the rim. But I think it would have improved the piece to make the walls of the bowl thinner by creating a rim of the same size.

tod evans
08-18-2006, 8:54 AM
okay, i`ve never given more than an attaboy on the forum but here goes;
i like the shape of the body but think the carved area should be at 90deg. instead of angled. i agree with those who suggested undercutting the rim and i think doing so substantially so as to reduce the wall thickness to 3/8" or so would best show the form. the lacquer bleed caught my eye right off, that`s easy to avoid by using sealer first before applying color....
hope my comments aren`t offensive raymond `cause you spin some cool stuff....02 tod

Mark Cothren
08-18-2006, 9:50 AM
Raymond, the piece is impressive. I would love to see all the carving around the rim. You especially caught my attention with the title. If I could carve something that would be recognizeable I'd take your idea and run with it!!! Something like that would be a great visual aid in teaching/preaching. You've inspired me to try it someday...:D

How would I improve it? I honestly don't know. I agree that one thought I had was to the rim thickness/angle. BUT... that doesn't bother me since the thicker rim is the story board. I noticed it, but don't know that I'd suggest changing it. How's that for waffling? :rolleyes:

I think you've got a winner. Are you planning some others?

Terry Quiram
08-18-2006, 8:04 PM
Raymond

I like the shape of your bowl. I like the rim shape but would have not made it so steep. Your enhancement is working against/compeating with the figure/spalting.

Terry

Tom Sherman
08-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Raymond, I will not try offer any suggestions for changing this piece in any way. I agree with Mark that the carving and border is the story board, considering the story behind it I don't feel that changes are waranted. The simplicity of the shape and the primal carvings I feel are intended and seem to be of a spiritual nature. Excellent job.

Travis Stinson
08-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Raymond, I'm with Keith (scary thought!:eek: ). Everything works for me, the size and angle of the rim, shape of the bowl overall. But there seems to be too much open space on the rim, I can see maybe closing the spacing up between the carvings and adding more. Looking forward to seeing where you take this.:cool:

Myrel Willeford
08-19-2006, 8:22 PM
Raymond it is not a style of bowl I would buy but I liked it. If it was your intention to commemorate the story of John 6:1 through 15 you did it well. To me it looks like a piece which would have been carved by someone who witnessed the event and wanted to pass on the story to future generations, a treasured memento. Changing the finish or the dimensions of the rim would have changed the piece. It is perfect as it is