PDA

View Full Version : Makita sharperner

Jeff Horton
08-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Anyone have or used the Makita Sharpener? http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000223JC.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62653542_.jpg

I have never been crazy about power sharpening but I am love the idea of not having to send out planner blades and jointer blades. What I read sounds good but I really like to hear from someone that has actually used this on some blades before I pop down the money.

And before everyone tells me how great the Tormek it is not an option for me.

John Kain
08-17-2006, 1:34 PM
I just bought the Woodcraft Horizontal sharpener. There were mixed reviews about the product but......

It's on sale for $79. I have a Woodcraft coupon for another $15 off that. So, for $64 I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'll let everyone knows how it goes. I ordered it 2 days ago and will have to get the hang of it first.

Ben Roman
08-17-2006, 2:53 PM
Love it and Wicked Sharp tools !!

Ben

Jeff Horton
08-17-2006, 3:30 PM
Love it and Wicked Sharp tools !!

Planner or jointer blades?? Thats what I am really concerned about.

I am sure it does chisels and hand planes well.

Tom Jones III
08-17-2006, 4:08 PM
Do a search on my name and makita. I bought the sharpener a while back and posted a review on it.

Ben Roman
08-17-2006, 4:45 PM
Planer and jointer blades and hand tools SUPER SHARP easy to use and really fast.

Ben

Bailey John
08-17-2006, 5:07 PM
another vote, thumbs up. Very easy to adjust for blade angle and bevel. Speed is slow and easy. its been in my family (father passed it down) for 15 years and still puts fine edge. The trick is learning to slide the blade across the stone in smooth strokes.

Jeff Horton
08-17-2006, 6:11 PM
Do a search on my name and makita. I bought the sharpener a while back and posted a review on it.

It's funny, I had read and replied to that thread. I bought a used Grizzly I found but it was damaged in shipping. Never did anything after I got that settled. I think I will start price shopping for one of these.

CPeter James
08-17-2006, 9:29 PM
Go to Highland Hardware and get the green wheel and the instructions on using this great machine. I have had one for 10 or 12 years and for planer and jointer blades it is the cat's meow. The green wheel is plenty fine enough for p/j blades and really fast. I can take the knives (3) out of my planer, sharpen them and replace them in under 45 minutes. Really great when you want sharp blades - NOW!!

CPeter