PDA

View Full Version : Filing tool manuals

Don Farr
10-03-2003, 7:56 AM
I currently have a full size desk and a four drawer filling cabinet in my shop. All I use is one drawer of the filing cabinet for my tool manuals.
I need the room for more tools so my question is, how does everyone else keep up with or file all the info. that comes with their tools?

Jason Roehl
10-03-2003, 7:59 AM
Mine all go inside in a file drawer. A little inconvenient if you need them for something, but then they aren't taking up precious shop space. :D

Jerry Solomon
10-03-2003, 9:26 AM
I slip them in those plastic sheet protectors that are three-hole punched and keep them in a 3" 3-ring binder.

Ed Falis
10-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Don,

I've got pretty much the same setup as you - a 4-drawer filing cabinet.

One drawer has manuals; a second has sandpaper filed by grit and type; a third has small parts like attachments and router bits. The fourth is waiting.

Guess that doesn't help much with making space, though.

- Ed

John Piwaron
10-03-2003, 10:28 AM
my question is, how does everyone else keep up with or file all the info. that comes with their tools?

I three hole punch all my manuals and whatever other paperwork came with them and have put all that into a series of 3 ring binders. Those binders are put on a shelf up high in a quieter area of the shop.

Hal Flynt
10-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I have some shelves made out of 1 x 12 pine. One section is partitioned to 9" wide. and 9" tall. I put my least referred to manuals there. I have an old INBOX/OUTBOX that I use for my frequently referred to manuals. Power tools on top and garden etc. tools on the bottom.

Steven Wilson
10-03-2003, 11:25 AM
I two hole punch them and keep them in binders (Euro standard, sort of like our 3hole but much better). If there is an interesting setup sheet or something I'll xerox it, place it in a plastic pouch and stick it to the machine (things like drill speed charts, my readings for bandsaw blade tension, etc).

George Grubaugh
10-03-2003, 11:28 AM
I keep mine in an old beat up briefcase.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-03-2003, 11:58 AM
I have them filed in three 3-ring binders and keep them on the shelf on the left in the picture. I have them seperated by tabs so I can find them easily.

Don Farr
10-03-2003, 5:08 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, The desk has got to go, and I guess I will have to find a place for the file cabinet.

Tom Peterson
10-03-2003, 5:39 PM
I use my file cabinet for my magazines, manuals, sandpaper, and small pieces of more unusual board scraps I have.

John Wadsworth
10-03-2003, 5:48 PM
Lacking a file cabinet, I put each tool's manual in a plastic sleeve and file them alphabetically by manufacturer in magazine file cases in a high shelf in the shop. The binder idea sounds good, though...

I do have a binder for general shop info--recommended drill speeds for different bits, a chart of fastener sizes, etc.

John Christiansen
10-03-2003, 6:34 PM
I keep all of the manuals and any related data, including manufacturer corespondance, set-up hints, repairs, etc. stored right on the machine itself. For portable tools where this is not an option, the information is kept in one magazine file box. The box is startiong to get full, but I think I can still buy a few more tools.

I currently have a full size desk and a four drawer filling cabinet in my shop. All I use is one drawer of the filing cabinet for my tool manuals.
I need the room for more tools so my question is, how does everyone else keep up with or file all the info. that comes with their tools?