PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Platter help

Jason Borthwick
08-17-2006, 1:14 AM
Hi All, I have been a lurker for to long, but Mr. Hoyt's impeccable timing on the platter tutorial brought me out of the woodwork to say thanks Andy.
This is a wedding platter going to my LOML co-worker thursday. I had the engraving done at a local shop. Figured I would quit while I was ahead.

Woods used are Penn. Cherry/Walnut
11.5 x 3/8T x 3/4Tall with attached foot. Finish is wipe-on poly/paste wax

Vaughn McMillan
08-17-2006, 1:43 AM
Very cool, Jason...the newlyweds will surely apprreciate it. And I see you've been a member here on SMC for about forever, so welcome out of the shadows and into the darkness...no wait...I mean the light. Yeah, the light. :D

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-17-2006, 2:52 AM
Welcome Jason, into the vortex :D

Way to start you postings here, that is a very nice piece of work, I've not yet tried one yet, but with all the flat stock I have, I'm thinking I'll get to them at some time.

I'm sure the happy couple will treasure it.

Cheers!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-17-2006, 3:10 AM
Nicely executed platter, Jason, and welcome out of the shavings pile. That's a gift that the newlyweds will definitely treasure.

Keith Burns
08-17-2006, 9:08 AM
Welcome Jason :) Nicely executed platter and a great first post.:) :)

George Conklin
08-17-2006, 9:15 AM
Hi Jason,
You've been a member for two years and this is your second post? Now that's what I call restraint!

The picture of your platter is excellent. You definitely have talent. Thanks for sharing.

Andy's the best and that tutorial was "spot on". Thanks again Ange!:)

Andy Hoyt
08-17-2006, 9:39 AM
Hey! If I can pull Jason outta the closet with a hat trick of platters just think what would be possible if someone - oh say that Jim Ketron fellow - posted a tutorial on hollow forms.

Nice work, Jason. Don't be a stranger.

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2006, 1:10 PM
That is a nice looking platter for your first Jason. I just did my first one last night also. Nice job.

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 1:15 PM
Hey! If I can pull Jason outta the closet with a hat trick of platters just think what would be possible if someone - oh say that Jim Ketron fellow - posted a tutorial on hollow forms.

Nice work, Jason. Don't be a stranger.

ditto to all that Andy said. :D

Andy Hoyt
08-17-2006, 1:15 PM
ditto to all that Andy said. :D

Umm, Don. Tradition has it that you're suppose to second the nomination. :D

Tom Sherman
08-17-2006, 5:29 PM
Since Don missed it I'll second the nomination Andy. Now it's up to JK. Bye the way nice platter Jason looking forward to many more.

Jason Borthwick
08-18-2006, 7:12 AM
Thank you all for the nice welcome. I will make it a point to post more about things I learn here.

Ed Scolforo
08-18-2006, 9:42 AM
Jason, nice platter, I'm sure she'll love it. It's funny that when I asked my daughter what I could make her for her wedding next July, she said a cake platter. I'll have to find Andy's tutorial along with all the other posts I've missed in the last week or so.
Ed