PDA

View Full Version : Router lifts

John Piwaron
08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
What router lift is the preferred kind nowadays? I'm looking at the Jessem router lift Rockler is selling.

The router I'm most likely to use in it is my Bosch 1617EVS, but I could also use my Makita 3601B. I'm not really that partial to the Makita anymore because of the knuckle busting collet.

What kind of advise can you give me.

PS, I looked on the Woodhaven site and see their lift which is made of phenolic and they've got a neat looking gadget to tip the router at an angle. What about that? Is phenolic o.k. for this?

Peter Pedisich
08-16-2006, 10:51 PM
John,

The woodhaven looks nice and it's affordable and they have a good reputation...
but when I had to make the same decision as you I went with a Woodpecker Quick-Lift for the ability to bypass the crank for speed.

The Jessem seems to be liked by all who purchase it and if you are talking about the FX then it seems to have the best engineered quick-release to remove the router.

Good Luck,

Pete

Cecil Arnold
08-17-2006, 12:03 AM
John, you might want to look at the woodpeck line also.

Tom Hintz
08-17-2006, 2:03 AM
John,
The Rockler/Jessem lift is nice. I have a review of that one and several others at the link below, scroll down to Router Accessories.
One I really think you should look at (I have a review of it also) is the Woodpeckers Quick Lift. I installed that one in my TS extension and use it all time with a Bosch 1617 motor in it. aside from being a solid lift (like all Woodpeckers stuff) the Quick Lift part is a stroke of genius. Ans, it's priced similar to many other lifts with less features.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html

Hoa Dinh
08-17-2006, 2:25 AM
Maybe because I'm cheap, but I am not too crazy about router lifts. They are too costly for my blood.

How about getting yourself a new router with above-table adjustment feature (e.g. Milwaukee 5625-20), or a Hitachi M12V with Router-Raizer?

John Piwaron
08-17-2006, 9:22 AM
Hoa,

I like your idea, and I checked the M12V, but I'm not seeing an above the table adjustment feature. Or is that something that is added on? One drawback for me is that I already have a huge PC plunge router. I'm not sure I need another one.

Mr. Hintz,

Nice site. I'm looking through the review(s) you have on router lifts.

What I've been hoping for is a router lift that would drop into the opening for the small Rockler aluminum plate. I have one of those now in my existing router table and am planning on moving that over to the new table under construction. That's why the Jessem lift sold by Rocker is attractive. However, if something else is better, I'm certainly willing to go there.

Mark Singer
08-17-2006, 9:58 AM
I have the Hitachi with a Router Raizer and it works well....only adds about $70. Also the Triton and others have the lift built into the router....for less then the cost of the lift you get the router and lift

JayStPeter
08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I have the M12V with the woodpeck plungelift. Same idea as the router raisor, but it comes with a plate. I also have a plate that I can mount my Bosch 1617 (or PC with same hole pattern).
I would steer toward upgradability with respect to horsepower. I wouldn't spend the extra dough on a lift for a 2HP router. I'd rather have the HP than the lift.
I kept my old plate when I upgraded to the M12V so I could setup a rail and stile bit at the same time and switch plates instead of bits. I find that I don't do that because I prefer the HP of the Hitachi when spinning the larger door making bits. But, part of that might be the ease of setup with the lift also.
The downside to either the M12V solution, or the routers that have through the table adjustability is that you still have to reach under the table to lock/unlock the router. The dedicated lifts that accept a motor don't require you to open the door and reach under for each adjustment.

Jay St. Peter