PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help on a sign

Ed Lang
08-16-2006, 9:26 PM
I need to quickly make 10 signs that will be two color. Blue and Yellow. The text and graphic will be V-carved and the V-Carving needs to be Yellow with the surface, edges and back Blue.

I have limited materials available but hope to use MDF for the substrate and Latex paint for the color.

I am thinking the quickest process will be to paint the MDF, apply a paint mask, machine, spray or brush the Yellow and remove the mask.

If I use a paint mask, which one and where to get it?

Any suggestions?

I live about 60 miles West of Richmond VA and do not have any paint mask at my shop so this will need to be gotten tomorrow if possible.

The signs will be marking reserved parking spots for the sports season at a local High School. I am not charging for these signs, but still want a good job and something that will last this year without falling apart.

All suggestions and guidance is welcome.

Ed

Ben Grunow
08-16-2006, 9:43 PM
Cant speak the methods but MDF is a no no for exterior work. I believe there is an exterior version of it (MEDEX ?) but the regular stuff will be 2" thick after a couple of rain storms. Good luck.

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-16-2006, 9:45 PM
Ed...I can't imagine any MDF or paint process on MDF that is going to hold up outdoors beyond a rain storm or two.

I would probably lean towards using Sintra for a job of this type or MDO. I agree with the idea of using the mask and painting the yellow highlight.

Goood Luck

Doug

btw...have you been out your back door today...should have been a package left there

Shaddy Dedmore
08-16-2006, 9:50 PM
I don't think MDF is your best choice for outside use. Make sure it's sealed well. Maybe theres a plywood better suited for it.

If you need something in a pinch, maybe shelf contact paper? That stuff sometimes has a sticky back and I don't think it's all that expensive, most home type stores should have some.

Shaddy

Ed Lang
08-16-2006, 9:54 PM
Doug,

UPS did stop here today. I just don't know what to say other than THANK YOU!

I will be in touch via the phone if you will send me the number in a private message.

Christmas in August here in Virginia.

:)

Joe Pelonio
08-17-2006, 8:06 AM
Ed, for that kind of job I'd brush in the v grooves, let it dry then roll the background color. Keep the roller from being too wet and it won't spill into the grooves. If it does touch it up with an artist's brush after. That's how
I do small sandblasted signs.

Ed Lang
08-17-2006, 10:26 PM
UPDATE! :)

I used Exteria for the substrate. V-carved the lettering and logo as well as the outside. The Shopbot did great!

I tried every kind of everything and here is what worked.

Sand lightly.
Spray BIN primer and sand lightly
Spray yellow into the logo and text
Tight foam roller and roll the background blue.

Signs look great!

Pictures to follow.

I also cut a oval house sign today with an anchor and name on it. Done in Oak and lettering is black. Varnish is the top coat. Looks super right now and I still have three more coats of varnish to go. Pictures to follow.

Thanks folks.

Ed Lang
08-19-2006, 6:09 AM
Here is a link to one of the signs. I feel one more coat of blue and some touch up and it will be ready to go.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/89139435-M.jpg

Here is another one I did this week. Solid Oak as requested.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/89139449-M.jpg

Suggestions always welcome.

Ed

Mitchell Andrus
08-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Very nice, Ed. I wish I had the space for a CNC router.

Mitch

Lee DeRaud
08-19-2006, 10:16 AM
If you need something in a pinch, maybe shelf contact paper? That stuff sometimes has a sticky back and I don't think it's all that expensive, most home type stores should have some.The good news is, it's cheap. The bad news is, it's a pig to remove. DAMHIKT.

Joe Pelonio
08-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Nice work Ed, those both look great.

Lee, while I use transfer tape for the laser I think that with a CNC it would get some wood chips/dust under the edges. There's a masking product for the sign industry, I use Arlon CalMask, that's like vinyl but thicker and stiffer, with a lower strength adhesive that might work well for the CNC.

If you can't buy a small hunk at your local sign supply let me know, I have some here and could send you a sample.

Lee DeRaud
08-19-2006, 2:07 PM
Lee, while I use transfer tape for the laser I think that with a CNC it would get some wood chips/dust under the edges. There's a masking product for the sign industry, I use Arlon CalMask, that's like vinyl but thicker and stiffer, with a lower strength adhesive that might work well for the CNC.

If you can't buy a small hunk at your local sign supply let me know, I have some here and could send you a sample.Thanks for the offer, Joe, but I'm just a poor laserhead: ShopBots just take up way more space than I can justify on a hobby basis.

But yeah, the more I thought about the contact paper thing, the worse it got: I suspect the bits of a ShopBot would just shred it in the vicinity of the cut line...not exactly a desirable property for a paint mask. For laser use, it's got the additional issue that I have no idea what it's made of, and the manufacturers don't respond to (repeated) email requests for info.

Back in the day, I had to strip a whole kitchen worth of the stuff. If it's been pressed down tight enough to be effective as a paint mask, it's gonna bloody well stay stuck down: the peel strength of the adhesive exceeds the shear strength of the material. In English: it's worse than that flimsy shrink-wrap stuff they use as the protective layer on cheap Home Depot acrylic.