PDA

View Full Version : To all Creekers.

Mike Jory
08-16-2006, 9:17 PM
To all Creekers ... You were right. Of all the posts I've read, before and since becoming a member of this Forum, the ones with basic tool use, lathe questions, and all sorts of topics, one theme kept coming up. To join a local turning club.

OK, so I finally found myself in sync with the Club's meeting dates and my availability, so I jumped. What a great time I had. I won't spill to many details, or get to gushy. Everyone was very welcoming and freindly. After some formalities and introductions, I walked around at the 4 demos that were occuring for that meeting and learned a lot.

Among many I met, one person recognized me by my last name, and knew my Father, and lives near my town. He was giving one of the demos. I met another person who lives in my town and both of these gentlemen invited me to their shops to "turn and learn" on their lathes. One of those men had had many items in a local Gallery.

This second person gave me a hunk of Black Acacia and said see what you can do with this. But have fun. So this is the result.
This thing started out a bit larger than this. I broke off the tenon when turning the inside and had to stat over. So no pic of the bottom. Now it's 5-1/4" wide and 2-3/4" high. The finish is Danish oil, Natural.

Lucky Me, This Club has some juice. Stuart Batty (September) and Binh Pho (November) will be coming to this Club soon. I think I've met a mentor and things should get better.
Mike

Don Baer
08-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Super Mike, Glad you found a mentor. The bowl looks great and I am looking forward to you progress.

George Conklin
08-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Mike,
That Acacia sure is pretty! Almost has a light walnut look to it.
I'm glad you enjoyed youself at your Turners meeting.:)

Andy Hoyt
08-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Glad to see you made it over to Dublin, Mike. Great group with lots of talent. You're in good company.

Mike Jory
08-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Andy, "Dublin"... You must know something I don't? I noticed you could not hardly be further from this area. Or did you look it up at the AAW web site?

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Mike that is a beautiful start. I wish my first bowl looked that good. I also wish I had a turning club closer so I could make meetings and demo turnings. I have been invited to Denver but my job just keeps me away. Someday. Keep'em coming Mike.

Andy Hoyt
08-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Spent time in Vallejo/Benicia - bought my first lathe from Wayne Shipman of Walnut Creek.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-17-2006, 2:59 AM
Nice looking work and wood, Mike. I'm glad you found a club and mentor.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-17-2006, 3:04 AM
Mike, good for you!

I envy you big time!

Oh well, I got this bunch...... ;) :)

Jim Becker
08-17-2006, 9:45 AM
Good deal, Mike. 'Definitely worth the time and effort to be part of your local turning organization!!

Mike Jory
08-17-2006, 2:49 PM
Thank you for the kind words. I must admit, this is not my first bowl. :o I have actually accomplished about 3 or 4 total. Sometimes when I'm in the shop, about to approach a piece that's spinning, I think to myself "ok now, be careful to rub the bevel, watch the edge, turn the flute in the correct direction." Stuff like that.
I just need to do more.:)
Thanks again to all who replied,
Mike

Oh and PS to Stu; I once took a free lance production job in Tokyo for 3 weeks. I learned much about the Japanese, loved being there and hated to leave.
-mike-

08-17-2006, 3:04 PM
...............Oh and PS to Stu; I once took a free lance production job in Tokyo for 3 weeks. I learned much about the Japanese, loved being there and hated to leave.
-mike-

If you ever get back my way the beer is on me :D

Keith Burns
08-17-2006, 4:21 PM
If you ever get back my way the beer is on me :D

Allright, Stu's having a beer party, lets go...................;)

Keith Burns
08-17-2006, 4:44 PM
Mike, very nice bowl ! :) :) Glad you found a club to join. Using the club enviroment in conjunction with this forum, the skys the limit on what you can learn:)

08-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Allright, Stu's having a beer party, lets go...................;)

Any time Keith, anytime :D

Don Orr
08-18-2006, 9:56 AM
That'll do Mike. Now off you go to your mentor.

REALLY nice bowl BTW!