PDA

View Full Version : Attaboys, Critiques, and Ugly Bonkers

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-16-2006, 8:07 PM
Folks---

I've read the Attaboy/Critique threads, and am hereby opening this piece up for either, though I don't see how it'll get attaboys.

I started by trying to make a bonker. Then it seemed that maybe I could get a funky candlestick out of it. Then I realized that the most probable reason I kept getting catches on the top beads was because I was using a skew that was at least three times wider than the beads. Then I just said to heck with it, had some fun, laughed at the result, and used a baby oil/votive candle friction finish on it. Oh, and I undercut the base slightly when parting to avoid wobble. :)

Chris Barton
08-16-2006, 8:23 PM
Henry, having fun should be the first priority of every woodturner or woodworker (ie, flathead). Your bonker is a great start. That is exactly what the highest, most ordained, MASTER of the SKEW (Richard Raffin, AKA Obie Wan Ka Sorby) suggests we all do. Chuck up some wood and explore your tools. Become their master not, the other way around. I hail your bonker and look forward to many more. Long live the Bonker!:D

Don Baer
08-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Henry,
A while ago I chucked up an 8 inch green limb between center and just spent my time making a tooth pic using every tool I had in my arsinel. The end result was a large pile of curlies . It was fun and also it was educational.

Andy Hoyt
08-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Excellent skill enhancing piece.

Now - do it again and again and again.

Only critique I have is on the photo. Too small!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-16-2006, 11:13 PM
I too did as Don did and ended up with a spaghetti factory :D

As Bonkers go, yours is a little too busy for me, I like the simple ones better, but that is just my taste.

As an exercise in learning and having fun, I'd say you done good.

Long live the Bonker!

PS, hate to admit it, but Andy is right, pic is too small :D

Vaughn McMillan
08-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Attaboy, Henry! You successfully avoided having any two beads alike on your bonker. :p :D (Just kidding, of course, but now you got yer attaboy.) As others have mentioned, I've also spun up a number of green branches just to play with shapes, although unlike yours, mine usually end up with at least one broken end from whittling it down too thin. ;)

- Vaughn

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Atta boy Henry.:p Couldn't resist. Hey that is the way you are going to learn. I watched Lacer's video on the skew and then headed for the shop. I made lots of chip piles just practicing. Keep'er up.

Stephen Hibbs
08-17-2006, 1:52 AM
It looks like fun, and looks pretty ugly ;) , but I actually really like the bottom half of it, besically up to and including the little spike. I too made such a bonker in woodshop, and spent a lot of time explaining to people that "no, I don't know what it is, yes maybe it's a candlestick" As it was I nocked a nail into it, sharpened the other end, and now it's a candle spearer. nice finish though, I wish we had some of that wood around here, we just have lots of rock-hard eucalyptus.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2006, 2:06 AM
As the official Bonker Representative of the MOA.....I approve! Sometimes just having fun...........can lead to some great lessons! Well done Henry!

Jonathon Spafford
08-17-2006, 2:10 AM
Attaboy!! :D:D Hey it is artsy... bet you could send it to an art gallery and become famous. (That is what I comfort myself with whenever something doesn't turn out right) :rolleyes:

Horst Hohoff
08-17-2006, 6:01 AM
Hi Henry,
I think it's a good practice piece for skew work, but not a good exsample for a well designed candlestick. To me the foot is a bit too clumsy, and as Stu already said, it's too busy. And worst of all, IMO, it's topheavy. There's far too much material left in the upper half of the piece.
Horst

Keith Burns
08-17-2006, 9:11 AM
Attaboy Henry !!!! That is a great "FUN" piece for sure:) :)

Lee DeRaud
08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
A bit light-weight for a bonker, but as a candlestick...
well, I can think of several people whose table I wouldn't mind seeing it on. :p :D

Looks like you're a lot better with a skew than I am, though. :cool:

Don Orr
08-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Is there such a thing as an ugly bonker??? Great piece for fun and practice.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-17-2006, 2:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your critiques and votes of confidence. I feel comfortable with the skew, however this was definitely a learning experience for me.

Stu: It is to busy. If I were to bead a piece I wanted on my mantle, I'd definitely want to play with the beads and try and make them more subtle. Probably a simple single bead at the top of the cup.

Horst: I agree that the bottom is clunky and the piece topheavy. I'd want a true candlestick to have a wider, thinner base, a bit thinner and smoother curvature on the stem, and a small goblet-style pedestal (assuming the piece was for tapers). I'd also want to make sure that the base was at least three times the diameter of the cup for stability's sake.

Again, thanks!

Tom Sherman
08-17-2006, 5:41 PM
Your practice piece is an example of what we all are Different! As has already been said having fun with it is what's most important. Good job Henry.