PDA

View Full Version : Categorization: Request for Input

Aaron Koehl
08-16-2006, 2:38 PM
All,

I am adding a drop-down box to the "New Thread" screen so we can start categorizing threads. Eventually, I'll be able to use these categories to better organize the way information is presented, as well as one of the things I'll use to create special "areas" of the 'Creek with related content.

Here are a few examples:
- How do I...?
- Buyer Beware
- Project Showcases
- Lathe Project
- Member Introduction
- Member Interview
- Vendor Complaint (rant, etc)
- SawmillCreek Sighting
etc etc

The categories will eventually be hierarchical, such as:
- Member Stuff
- ___Interviews
- ___Introductions
- Projects
- ___Turning
- ___

Some of these things will overlap; I might make it so more than one category can be assigned. The trick is-- too many categories and it's not useful, too few and they're no better than the Forum Headings.

The nice part about this is that nothing is final as far as the names are concerned, so don't worry about the particular wording, let's just get the ideas out there!

Matt Meiser
08-16-2006, 3:29 PM
Just throwing out random thoughts--not criticisms.

- Will a category be required? If so, will there be a default and what will the default category be?
- Is someone going to attempt to maintain proper categories? For example, right now the moderators are responsible for moving threads if they are in the wrong forum. Will they be correcting categories? Dealing with PM's about threads being in the wrong category?
- Who will maintain the category list? How will things get added?
- How will we deal with new subcategories? If a category is split, how will existing threads be assigned.
- Related to the above, what if there was some way for members to assign a category to threads they didn't create. Then show the thread in all categories that have more than X% of the "vote". I.E. if you put it in Vendor Complaint and I put it in Buyer Beware it will show up in both. As more people "vote" by assigning a category, it might be 90% in Buyer Beware and 10% in Vendor Complaint, then it would only be in Buyer Beware. But if the votes were 60/40, make it in both. Maybe make the bottom cutoff 33%? Hopefully I explained that well.

tod evans
08-16-2006, 3:33 PM
aaron, one that`s been brought up repeatedly is shop-shots and i think a good use of sub categories under shops would be appropriate such as; buildings, electrical, pneumatics and dust collection.......just thoughts..02 tod

Matt Meiser
08-16-2006, 8:29 PM
dust collection.......

Would all posts coded with this category immediately alert the moderators via pager? :rolleyes: :D

Jason Roehl
08-17-2006, 7:21 AM
Aaron, the categorization would definitely be a helpful tool--allowing a perusal of a subject instead of just a keyword-type search. I don't have any other specific thoughts on the implementation yet, but I have another suggestion for a potentially useful feature as this forum continues to grow. I don't know if it's possible with the software, but what I would like to see is a customizable 'New Posts' button. In my case, I don't read too many posts from the Neanders or in the Laser/CNC forums, so if I could setup 'New Posts' to not include those forums, there would be a little less "clutter" when I click it. This could also be a possible way to reduce bandwidth. If there's no way to do this in this version of vBulletin, perhaps we should suggest it to the authors.

Thanks!

Frank Fusco
08-17-2006, 9:31 AM
My thought: utilize the KISS principal. Categories do not seem necessary to me other than broad subject matter as we currently have. If you make wading through posts too much of a chore the fun is gone.

Aaron Koehl
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
My thought: utilize the KISS principal. Categories do not seem necessary to me other than broad subject matter as we currently have. If you make wading through posts too much of a chore the fun is gone.
Broad is good today perhaps, but not for tomorrow.

The user experience won't change a bit. The categories will just be another layer on top of everything else, and optional at that, but it will allow me (as well as other interested users) to enhance SawmillCreek.

Aaron Koehl
08-17-2006, 10:49 AM
I'll just answer this line by line, in red pen :) :

Just throwing out random thoughts--not criticisms.

- Will a category be required? If so, will there be a default and what will the default category be?

The category will not be required. The default will be... null.

- Is someone going to attempt to maintain proper categories? For example, right now the moderators are responsible for moving threads if they are in the wrong forum. Will they be correcting categories? Dealing with PM's about threads being in the wrong category?

This is intended to be a loose categorization. I imagine if a wrong category is assigned, then no biggie.

- Who will maintain the category list? How will things get added?

I am hoping an enterprising member of the 'Creek will give it some thought and post a nice list of categories to get things going. I'm considering allowing the categories to be created by anyone.

- How will we deal with new subcategories? If a category is split, how will existing threads be assigned.

We'll play it by ear, but basically the "parents" will be come "children".

- Related to the above, what if there was some way for members to assign a category to threads they didn't create. Then show the thread in all categories that have more than X% of the "vote". I.E. if you put it in Vendor Complaint and I put it in Buyer Beware it will show up in both. As more people "vote" by assigning a category, it might be 90% in Buyer Beware and 10% in Vendor Complaint, then it would only be in Buyer Beware. But if the votes were 60/40, make it in both. Maybe make the bottom cutoff 33%? Hopefully I explained that well.

I get what you're saying--that could be a neat heuristic approach. Perhaps something that can be added once the infrastructure is in place.

Dennis Peacock
08-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Would all posts coded with this category immediately alert the moderators via pager? :rolleyes: :D

Maaaannnn....I sure hope not. I need an extension cord for my pager for my day job already. :eek: :eek: :D

Chris Padilla
08-17-2006, 2:34 PM
Maaaannnn....I sure hope not. I need an extension cord for my pager for my day job already. :eek: :eek: :D

Are you sure you don't mean, leash??!! :eek: :eek: :D

Ian Gillis
08-17-2006, 5:53 PM
All,

Here are a few examples:
- How do I...?
- Buyer Beware
- Project Showcases
- Lathe Project
- Member Introduction
- Member Interview
- Vendor Complaint (rant, etc)
- SawmillCreek Sighting
etc etc

You left out "tool gloat"

But seriously, I don't see how categorising threads would help overall. Clearer subject lines would help people to pick and choose where they want to read and not. I personally don't care for "Is this OK ??" and similar subject lines because they don't reflect what's inside. Even then I can decide if I'm curious enough to read and find out what it's about or to skip over it.

Categorising is pigeonholing. As others have already pointed out, some posts that might be interesting/entertaining might not fit into any particular pigeonhole.

That's all I have to say, thanks.

Aaron Koehl
08-18-2006, 10:11 PM
You left out "tool gloat"

But seriously, I don't see how categorising threads would help overall. Clearer subject lines would help people to pick and choose where they want to read and not. I personally don't care for "Is this OK ??" and similar subject lines because they don't reflect what's inside. Even then I can decide if I'm curious enough to read and find out what it's about or to skip over it.

Categorising is pigeonholing. As others have already pointed out, some posts that might be interesting/entertaining might not fit into any particular pigeonhole.

That's all I have to say, thanks.
And if a thread doesn't fit into an existing category, that's okay-

Categorizing threads helps to generate statistics and additional browsing capability for new and casual readers. Relaaax, adding a drop down box when creating a thread is not that serious! Categories need not apply to each post..

Andy Hoyt
08-19-2006, 5:35 PM
I think I like this.

Tutorial comes to mind as a category.

Steve Clardy
08-19-2006, 9:30 PM
I'd rather just see another Catagory started.

We've been talking about a place to post all of our workshop pics for how long now?

Aaron Koehl
08-22-2006, 5:18 PM
Tutorial is good-- there are definitely a lot of how-to's out there that aren't full-blown articles.

Larry James
08-24-2006, 12:42 PM

Aaron,

I agree with Frank, keep it simple, and don't eliminate the option for members to use the existing format.

In responding to Matt Meiser, you said: "...We'll play it by ear, but basically the "parents" will be come "children...". Adding layer after layer only complicates browsing, and "playing it by ear" is not a plan.

A few new categories could be helpful, but only after more discussion and input/aggrement by a consensus of members.

An inherent problem for a forum like SMC is (I think) a relatively small number of members are responsible for the majority of posts. That is not in itself a "bad" thing, but could skew the results of your suggestion: "...I am adding a drop-down box to the "New Thread" screen so we can start categorizing threads. Eventually, I'll be able to use these categories to better organize the way information is presented, as well as one of the things I'll use to create special "areas" of the 'Creek with related content. ..." You ask for input, but the previous statement implies this is a done deal.

Aaron, I appreciate what you do for SWC - your work and dedication are above and beyond. I hope you don't take expressing differing opinions as personal, but as serving a useful purpose.

If it works, tweak it, but don't break it.

Larry

Aaron Koehl
08-24-2006, 1:54 PM
Larry,

The categories are a done deal. I'm asking for input on the CONTENT of those categories.
And what do you mean by the existing format? I didn't mention any format changes. And what layers upon layers are you talking about?

The categories will drive an optional section of the 'Creek for browsing by content, nothing more.

Aaron,

I agree with Frank, keep it simple, and don't eliminate the option for members to use the existing format.

In responding to Matt Meiser, you said: "...We'll play it by ear, but basically the "parents" will be come "children...". Adding layer after layer only complicates browsing, and "playing it by ear" is not a plan.

A few new categories could be helpful, but only after more discussion and input/aggrement by a consensus of members.

An inherent problem for a forum like SMC is (I think) a relatively small number of members are responsible for the majority of posts. That is not in itself a "bad" thing, but could skew the results of your suggestion: "...I am adding a drop-down box to the "New Thread" screen so we can start categorizing threads. Eventually, I'll be able to use these categories to better organize the way information is presented, as well as one of the things I'll use to create special "areas" of the 'Creek with related content. ..." You ask for input, but the previous statement implies this is a done deal.

Aaron, I appreciate what you do for SWC - your work and dedication are above and beyond. I hope you don't take expressing differing opinions as personal, but as serving a useful purpose.

If it works, tweak it, but don't break it.

Larry