PDA

View Full Version : luminous paint for clock hands?

Curt Harms
08-16-2006, 1:03 PM
Does anyone know of a material than can be applied to clock hands to make them luminous at night? I know Radium is out:eek: and tritium is expensive. Any other choices?

TIA

Curt

Jack Ferrell
08-16-2006, 1:20 PM
Curt, check out this one
http://www.darkniteglow.com/#glowpaint

I have not done business with them and have no affiliation. Good luck.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-16-2006, 3:32 PM
There is Heat Processed Zink Sulfide ( it's a granular powder). It gives off a lime green glow at exactly 56-hundred angstroms.
It works by absorbing energy from ambient light and re radiating it at 56-hundred angstroms over a period of hours or minutes depending on how much it absorbed.

It can be mixed into laquer or a laquor base with at lime green tint.

The stuff they used to treat watch dials with about 50 years ago was radium and it hurt a lot of the people who did the painting for years and years.

Curt Harms
08-16-2006, 3:47 PM
Curt, check out this one
http://www.darkniteglow.com/#glowpaint

I have not done business with them and have no affiliation. Good luck.
Thanks Jack. Interesting stuff, not cheap though. I may call 'em and see if I can get a SMALL sample.

Curt

Curt Harms
08-16-2006, 4:01 PM
There is Heat Processed Zink Sulfide ( it's a granular powder). It gives off a lime green glow at exactly 56-hundred angstroms.
It works by absorbing energy from ambient light and re radiating it at 56-hundred angstroms over a period of hours or minutes depending on how much it absorbed.

It can be mixed into laquer or a laquor base with at lime green tint.

Any idea of a source? It sounds interesting. Quick Google search came up blank.

The stuff they used to treat watch dials with about 50 years ago was radium and it hurt a lot of the people who did the painting for years and years.

Yup, didn't do Marie Curie any favors either.

Dave Fifield
08-16-2006, 4:33 PM
Tritium is the way to go - nice and bright. You'll kick yourself for not paying the extra $$$ for it eventually. Just do it. :)

Dave F.