PDA

View Full Version : Something To Crow About

Jim Becker
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
On our recent family vacation in Maine, we stopped to visit with Andy Hoyt and family for a few minutes on the way south. Outside of meeting "The Abysserator" :D in person and seeing some of his wonderful miniature structure work and turnings, we unexpectedly were introduced to Mr. Hoyt's better half's work. She is a very talented artist and does some really interesting work with gourds, among other things.

In the upper level of the shop/studio, there is a room where she works, where things are photographed and inventory is stored. There was a lot to see and fondle.

What really caught my attention were a few new pieces that Mrs H was completing...especially a pair of roosters since we happen to have a subtle rooster theme going on for pictures and art in our kitchen and eating area. Every piece is unique since every gourd is unique. They really lend themselves to animal caricatures, too.

Well, the eagle, err...rooster...has landed and one of those beautiful birds is now in our collection. Definitely something to "crow" about!

Don Baer
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Great Gloat ther Jim and very nice work Misses H

Andy Hoyt
08-16-2006, 1:19 PM
Glad it arrived Jim, and thanks.

Gonna go let Chrystine know that it landed.

nic obie
08-16-2006, 3:06 PM
I really like the rooster.

Nice colors!

Chris Padilla
08-16-2006, 3:25 PM
Cool stuff!

Vaughn McMillan
08-17-2006, 5:59 AM
I was gonna say something cocky, but I chickened out. :rolleyes:

- Vaughn

Wes Bischel
08-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Those are really cool. I can "see" the inspiration for the rooster in the gourds form. I have a friend that makes some beautiful things with gourds as well. I like to see what artists come up with from such a simple but expressive form (the gourd).

By god Vaughn, you sound like my Dad - the master of bad puns.:D :D

Wes

Jim Becker
08-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Pictures just don't do justice to Chrystine's work...I'm really proud to have added this piece to our collection and pleased that in some small way, we are able to support real artists through acquiring their craft for our home.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Nice work Mrs. Andy! Congrats Jim! Does Mrs. Hoyt do the painting on some of those bowls I saw in the picture?

Andy Hoyt
08-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Ken - those bowls on the shelf in the first pic Jim posted are all gourds.

Chrystine will probably shoot me for this - but here's a link to her brand new website that is very much under construction. Mostly photos - that'll make Tyler happy!

http://www.thedastudios.com/

Dan Oliphant
08-17-2006, 1:40 PM
Andy, just went to your wives web site and all I can say is WOW, that work is beautiful!!!! Your wife (and you) are indeed very talented.