PDA

View Full Version : Did somethin' stupid.

Jonathon Spafford
08-16-2006, 2:02 AM
Ok.... I was trying to cut a piece of a (round) finished turning off on the bandsaw.... please don't make fun of me :cool: I wasn't using a v-block and the thing caught and spun. Somehow I ended up bending/twisting a section of my bandsaw blade. Is there any way I can unbend it or do I have to trash it. It is pretty bent... it scrapes against the blade guard every time it goes around. Any advice appreciated!!!

Jonathon

Vaughn McMillan
08-16-2006, 2:16 AM
I'm by no means an expert, but I think you toasted your blade.

- Vaughn

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-16-2006, 2:25 AM
Been there.......Done that. You can fix it A LITTLE. Take two pair of pliers and work the blade back as close to straight as you can. DO NOT do a lot of bending back and forth as that will harden it and make it break faster. You probably won't get it totally straight, but, it should be ok for some rough cutting.

Bruce

Jim Becker
08-16-2006, 9:44 AM
Although Bruce is correct you can attempt to "fix" the blade, it's probably best to just replace it. Band saw blades are "disposables" and it's usually best to keep a few extras "in stock", especially in the size/configuration you use the most.

Frank Fusco
08-16-2006, 10:04 AM
You can try laying it on an anvil and tapping out the crimp with a ball peen hammer (don't use the ball). It won't be perfect but you MAY be able to salvage it.

Scott Donley
08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Not stupid, it couldn't be, I did the same thing two days ago trying to cut a 10X11 round blank in half:o .Who would of thought that little blade could have thrown that big chuck of wood that far. Sure woke up the dog that was sleeping about 4 ft away. Just consider it a RElearning experience and order a new blade. At 30 bucks a pop next time I think " I really should not do this " I won't :o

Dick Strauss
08-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Johnathon,
I did the same thing a few weeks back with round yew pieces. My blade was bent from front to back (the 3/8" dimension) as you look at the blade installed. I took some very heavy leather gloves and bent it back with brute force (no tools). The blade is a "user" now but only as a backup. It still moves forward and backwards slightly (about 1/32") and tends to dig in slightly as the damaged section comes around.

I was able to do this on a Timberwolf blade. Their blades have a Rc hardness of about 45 so they are much more flexible than most. I checked the repaired blade to make sure there weren't any visible (with and without dye) hairline cracks or meaningful electrical differences across the back of the blade.

Buy a new one and use the repaired blade as the emergency backup!

Take care,
Dick

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Try to straighten it, but keep it as a back up, buy a new blade.

If you have ever seen a BS blade under tension break, you will not want to be fooling with that, trust me BTDT.

Oh, one more thing, you could keep it, cut it into pieces and make various "Texturing" tools out of it :D

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Been there done that.:mad: Buy a new one.

Jim Young
08-16-2006, 1:12 PM
Happened to me with an 8" log. Scared the you know what out of me. I would replace the blade. To me its not worth the time to try to straighten it out, if it is even possible.