PDA

View Full Version : Final Chapter - Andy's Wood

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-16-2006, 1:22 AM
Well folks, the end is near. You have looked at the progress of the "Nasty" thing Andy sent me. I have come to the time when I feel that I have done all I can with this piece.

In all honesty, it has been A TRIP! Totally enjoyable!!! I'm sure that Andy knew I would feel this way now and that's why he sent it in the first place. To him I can only say "Thank you for the opportunity to try and make something worthwhile from your generous gift!"

I'm not sure that I have done well by it! I thought I could get ALL the tearout taken care of, but not to be. Did get rid of most of it. The dimentions are 7-1/2" Dia X 4" Tall and the walls ended up at .19-.20"

I thank you for following the Saga ( Meant to possibly bring a chuckle) Here are the last of the pictures.:p

Picture #13 - Reverse chucked on my Jumbo Jaws, so I can turn off the tennon.

Picture #14 - Got it off without loosing the bowl............ Whew!

Picture #15 - Oiled the base.

Picture #16 - Here's the finished piece. Time to tell all. Tell Andy how great the wood is!

Picture #17 - Inside shot...........You can see some of the tearout at the junction of the side and bottom.

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2006, 1:39 AM
Beautiful wood.......Interesting form.......Nicely done Bruce!

Barry Stratton
08-16-2006, 3:59 AM
Way to persevere Bruce....Good job!

Only that Hoyt guy could send somebody compost and make them feel god about turning it.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-16-2006, 4:56 AM
Sweet, quite the trip............now you know, Andy is always up for a challenge, so what is he going to send you next.......... :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-16-2006, 8:24 AM
Great job on a challenging piece of wood, Bruce. If you can do that with a piece that heavily spalted, I'd love to see what you could do with styrofoam! :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
With enough stabilizer, you can do almost anything, Henry!

I've had a chance to spend some time looking at the piece and something has been bothering me. I couldn't put my finger on it. This morning, I think I figured it out. When you look at the fourth picture (Above) I think you will see it, too. Looked at that angle, I looks "KLUNKY." I didn't realize that I had fallen into the trap of trying to make it "AS BIG AS POSSIBLE" from the piece of wood. This causes an almost straight up and down look to the sides and even with the arch in the top half, it is still almost 90 degrees. I believe that the more talented turners here will agree with me.

I will try to better with the other piece!

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Nicely done Bruce. You definately did it justice.

Stephen Hibbs
08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
I like it Bruce, but I agree about picture number 4. Maybe if you thinned the bottom down so that the top was a little wider? I'm not sure if that would work, but maybe? The form is interesting, but I think if you make it too tall it does seem a llittle klunky. I think I tried that design before on some small endgrain bowls. That being said, the wood is very nice, as is the finish.

Keith Burns
08-16-2006, 1:17 PM
Bruce, nicely done ! I like the form but I agree it looks a little heavy. In my eyes maybe removing most of the foot would correct it. This is my humble opinion and is not necessaraly supported by the management.

Dale Overman
08-16-2006, 4:44 PM
Nice looking bowl, Bruce. I don't always agree that a bowl has to have a certain shape. I like the shape, wood and finish. I ,sometimes, try some odd shape just for the change and like to hear Raymond say Papa you should have....... Who cares? Crazy me likes it.

Andy Hoyt
08-16-2006, 5:26 PM
So. What it is about the wood that I'm supposed to tell myself that I don't already know? Hmmmm. How about --- That it's highly prized by landfill operators who need to bulk up the place with stuff that's already decomposed?

Curious to know how that form evolved. Intentional? Catchidental? Preordained?

Happy to see it done, Bruce. Thanks.

Chris Barton
08-16-2006, 5:27 PM
Nice wood and great bowl! Keep em coming Bruce!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Well, Andy................? I had a general idea about what I wanted, but as always, the wood dictated a lot of the design. The way it tore out precluded some things, but, as I said above, I got caught up in trying to make it BIG! two reaasons for that. 1. Trying to make bigger pieces. 2. Trying to use as much of the wood as possible (That is a trap you don't want to get into. It equals "KLUNKY")

Got to go now, but will check back late tonight. Thanks for your comments, folks.

Bruce

Tom Sherman
08-17-2006, 5:04 PM
Great job Bruce, I am prone to like something original and see your piece as just that.