PDA

View Full Version : Smallish Tool Gloat

Wes Bischel
08-16-2006, 12:49 AM
After years of putting up with (or avoiding using) my old Craftsman circular saw, I finally found out how to correct the problems with it.

I replaced it.:D

I picked up a Porter-Cable 324MAG. It's a recon, and it's light years ahead of what I was using. I've had my eye on a few models, but I went with this unit because of reputation, and, as usual with me, price. (it was about half the cost of a new 325 - the one with the blade brake)

I realize it may not be exciting for some, but the old Craftsman had me hating everytime I needed to use a CS. So far the PC seems to be changing that.

Wes

Bart Leetch
08-16-2006, 1:21 AM
Good deal Wes.

I've never used a PC but I felt the same way when my Pastor gave me a Milwaukee saw with a switch that wasn't working. I took the switch apart & cleaned the contacts up & it just purrs. A much better saw than my almost new Craftsman saw that got relegated to steel cutting with a Carborundum blade.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2006, 1:49 AM
Wes......I had an old Skil saw for over 20 years. I hated using it. The bearings finally got so bad you could not cut a straight line by accident. I bought a left bladed PC....I'm right handed and boy was it neat to see the cut line and the blade without leaning way to the right!

Enjoy it! I'm sure it'll serve you well as mine has!

John Bailey
08-16-2006, 4:36 AM
Sometimes the "smallish" gloats are the best because you use them so often.
Good move.

John

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-16-2006, 4:54 AM
Looks like a great saw!

I hear you on the older saws, I have an older Makita smaller CS, it works, but it is a struggle, and if you change anything, you have to wrassle with it to get it back to where it was, the thing is, I cannot, for the life of me kill it! :eek:

We had an old steel framed shed behind our old shop, when we had to take down, they wanted something like $5000 to do so. I bought a HUGE box of abrasive discs for that CS and went at it, after the shed was all in pieces, I had to cut the steel up into pieces shorter than 3 feet for the recycle guys to take them. Well about 6 small PU truck loads later, and I was done, and that old saw is still working fine, but like you said, I just hated using it.

I solved my problem with a Festool TS55, light years, yeah, that describes it.

I bet you spent WAY less money than I did!

Do they call it a "Mag" as it is made from Magnesium?

Nice gloat, the little ones count for sure! :D

Frederick Rowe
08-16-2006, 6:56 AM
Wes......I had an old Skil saw for over 20 years. I hated using it. The bearings finally got so bad you could not cut a straight line by accident. I bought a left bladed PC....I'm right handed and boy was it neat to see the cut line and the blade without leaning way to the right!
Ken's right. What a difference the "left hand" cs makes for us right handers. I always felt I had to lean over the saw to see the cut line. Now I look for reasons to use it. If your looking for a cs, check out how the "left handed" version feels.

Peter Pedisich
08-16-2006, 7:33 AM
Hey Wes,

Congratulations, looks like a nice saw! it's got the good dustport design - I think the front makes more sense than the rear.

Enjoy!

Pete

Bob Childress
08-16-2006, 7:38 AM
Way to go Wes! When my old B&D finally bit the dust I got the PC Mag and what a difference! You'll be very happy with that saw.:)

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-16-2006, 8:33 AM
I replaced my old millers falls 10" circular saw with the big Skillsaw Worm drive. It is a beast of a saw and won't slow down for nuthin. But it's a miserable little 7" blade
I still miss my huge 10" Millers falls saw. That big blade was so handy.

Jim Becker
08-16-2006, 8:49 AM
After years of putting up with (or avoiding using) my old {insert tool here}, I finally found out how to correct the problems with it.

Yup...that does work sometimes!!

Congrats on your new saw, Wes!