PDA

View Full Version : desk top glass question

russell johansen
08-15-2006, 11:28 PM
I am about to finish my first real project (a desk for my son). I built it out of pine due to lower costs and the correct assumption that I would make several mistakes and use up lots of wood. No sense buying expensive wood when you are brand new.

Now that I am about finished, I am thinking I would like to use a piece of glass for the top.

Two questions:
1) can I lay the glass directly on top of the desktop or do I need to inset it?
2) Dumb question time- when I go to the glass company, what type of glass am I asking for? how thick?

THanks for the help.

Jon Eckels
08-16-2006, 12:12 AM
5/16 to 3/8 tempered glass should be sufficient. Most glass companies will understand what you're doing. Just tell them what you're doing and they'll steer you right. They'll bevel the edges for you too.

You can lay the glass on top, but you'll have to use spacers to keep it off the wood directly, otherwise it'll slide. you can get very thin clear vinyl pads (very thin - 1/16th or so) at any hardware store. stick them on the desk, every 18" or so (mostly in the corners, and some for support in the middle). and lay the glass on that.

Hope that helps!

Cecil Arnold
08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
As a minimum I would only buy double strength. Have them sand the edges to avoid the risk of cutting yourself on a sharp edge. You can lay it flat, which would be best for the double strength glass, Should you get 1/4" plate you can mount some "feet" under it. Rockler sells the little clear feet.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-16-2006, 8:36 AM
Ditto on the tempered extra strong glass.
I have shattered more than a few of those my merely slapping them with my hand.

I'd consider half inch with bevled edges.

Larry Conely
08-16-2006, 9:04 AM
I have several glass tops that I have had cut for furniture.

I recently had a 45" circle cut for a wicker table top. I use 1/4" tempered glass. Each glass company has different options (and prices) for finishing the edge. For the circle, I priced out different shops. The best price I got was from a chain called Hendersons, not sure if they are in your area. With a AAA discount, their price was 1/2 the others plus they offered nicer edge finishes without additional cost. Most glass companies also offer spacers or bumpers that are made for glass.

Larry

George Robin
08-16-2006, 9:18 AM
I have bought 1/4" glass for tops of my dressers. As otthers have suggested, definately go with tempered for a desk!
However, I would not use the plastic spacers based on what my glass guy told me..."The spacers will dent the wood over a short period of time. Don't polish the surface under the glass, and it will create it's own adhesion of sorts." I have tried this, and it works. Unless there is a tendancy of leaning against the glass.

If I were making your desk and had a concern of glass movement, I would order the glass about 2" shorter length and width. Measure the glass when it comes in, and route a 1/16 - 1/8" recess in the top.

HTH
George

Perry Holbrook
08-16-2006, 12:15 PM
As some of you know, glass is one of the media I work with in my studios. I'm not sure I agree with the tempered glass for this application. To temper glass, the glass is heated and cooled very, very fast. During this process, the outer skin cools faster than the core which puts the glass core in compression and stress. Because the glass is in stress it breaks easily if scratched heavily or struck with a sharp object. Under these conditions, the tempered glass will shatter and regular (float) glass will not break.

The main reason for tempered, is when it breaks the glass edges are not sharp and will not likely cut anyone. On a desk with the glass fully supported, I would think 1/4" glass would be just fine. You can have the edges ground and polished at any glass shop.

Just my thoughts, the glass shop may give you an entirely answer. Just remember they probably want to sell you the most expensive stuff.

Perry

tod evans
08-16-2006, 1:45 PM
i agree with perry on this one. use 1/4 or 3/8 float glass and save tempered for door and overhead usage....02 tod

Joe Unni
08-16-2006, 7:58 PM
I too agree with Perry. My glass guys has shared this with me on several occasions with me when I mention that the customer wants tempered. When they hear it will shatter all over the place, they usually change their mind.

Good luck,
-joe