PDA

View Full Version : Maple Captive Ring Goblet

Ben Werner
08-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Well finished this a few minutes ago, made out of a log.... I'm gonna try and find another piece of maple with the same type of grey wood so I can make a pair, so it would be a nice wedding gift. Anyone know why there is that grey in the wood?

mineral oil +beeswax finish.

Its a little over 6 in high, top opening is 2, but widest outside of the top part is about 2 1/2.

Please give me constructive comments along with oos and aahhs :p:D;):):p. Seriously though I would like to hear what I could do better next time.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Very nice job, Ben! Sorry, I don't see any gray. Gray can come from minerals or Spalting!

Bruce

Ben Werner
08-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Very nice job, Ben! Sorry, I don't see any gray. Gray can come from minerals or Spalting!

Bruce
hmmm its there.... second picture

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Nice goblet Ben. You did some nice work. I haven't even attempted rings yet. Very nice.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2006, 12:52 AM
First off.........if those are your first captive rings...You did quite well!

I'm in the process of making a wedding gift for my daughter. I turned some captive rings.......Like yours they were just a little smaller in diameter than the base. IMHO they were too large. On mine, I took a glass goblet; cut and snapped the stem off the goblet about 3/4" below the bowl. So I turned a stem out of tigerwood and I actually turned the rings captive...had my wife witness it and then finish turned the rest of the stem. Then I could and did remove the rings....they were too large and overbearing in my humble opinion. Now .....just a few minutes ago, I turned a smaller set that just barely fits over the small top of the stem. I made 3 and broke one of them. I'm going to interlock the smaller rings around the stem. Larger rings....look overbearing to me. The next time I do captured rings.....I'll turn them at a smaller diameter....these were my first also.

Nicely done Ben!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-16-2006, 8:07 AM
Nice looking goblet, Ben, and great job with the captive rings. My vote for the gray is some type of spalting action.

Ben Werner
08-16-2006, 8:55 AM
Thanks all, Its not my first time for captive rings, just first time making captive rings on a goblet. I was thinking of doing the interlocking ones.... but i'm afraid I'll break it and not get it nicely lined up:eek:.

Ken: I thought that the larger rings looked nice... ah well each to his own.

Tom Sherman
08-17-2006, 4:03 PM
Nice goblet Ben the rings add a nice touch.