PDA

View Full Version : Another Grade School Shelving Unit....

Roy Wall
08-15-2006, 7:13 PM
Hey all,

Well, last year I made a somewhat exotic "Zebrawood and Padauk" Lunch & Backpack rack for some first graders....

The other first grade teacher recruited me for another one.

This is a little more "institutional"....BB ply and poplar dividers. She wanted separate lunch box dividers for each child - so there are 22 built into this project.

The entire unit is 160"...one 96" section and then another 64"ish...

The back section is 12" tall and the shelve extends out 10". The front edge was reinforced with "double ply" to hold strong lag hooks to hold the backpacks.
I made a pattern for the dividers and cut them on the band saw - then smoothed using a drum sander bit on the DP.

Finish is General Finish product - Water Based High Performance Poly - commonly used for stair treads.

The shelving is supported by 3 - 500 lb capacity - steel brackets and also lagged bolted into studs in the wall.

The teacher was very happy - so I think the kids will like it!

Roy Wall
08-15-2006, 7:15 PM
second set of photos showing assembly and install.........

Bruce Page
08-15-2006, 7:25 PM
Roy, very nice and solidly built! I doubt the grade schooler’s will be able to do any damage to it – but they’ll try!

Jerry Strojny
08-15-2006, 7:26 PM
Looks great Roy! Should get plenty of use (abuse) and will be there when the offspring of those children go to school. I remember the zebra wood one. Very cool.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-15-2006, 7:27 PM
Looks sturdy and serviceable and is definitely attractive. Great job! I'm sure they will be more than pleased with it.

Lars Thomas
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm wierd this way . . .I actually LIKE the look of exposed edges of high quality ply. Great looking project for the school. Looks loke that shelf will be there for the rest fo time. Nice work. Lars