PDA

View Full Version : Small Cedar Box

Tom Sherman
08-15-2006, 7:06 PM
I had a request from a friend to turn a small box one of about six or seven that others were turning also. It measures 2 7/8" tall and 2 3/8" at the base. Simple finish just Mineral oil and Beeswax.

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 8:54 PM
That's a nice box Tom! Keep up the good work!

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 9:44 PM
Tom great job! turning ceder is not an easy task and you did a very nice job of it. the end grain on cedar is like turning popcorn or styrofoam.you did a fantastic job! Keep it up.

Bob

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Very nice lookin', Tom.

Cedar is nice to work with, Ain't it!

Bruce

Ben Werner
08-15-2006, 11:11 PM
nice job!! I like the shape!

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Thats a might fine looking box Tom. Like the form of it. Nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Nicely done Tom! I like the detail on the top and the bottom!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-16-2006, 8:08 AM
Nice looking box, Tom. I have to say, however, that black light doesn't do the piece justice. :)

Frank Fusco
08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Tom great job! turning ceder is not an easy task and you did a very nice job of it. the end grain on cedar is like turning popcorn or styrofoam.you did a fantastic job! Keep it up.

Bob

Turning cedar not easy? I guess that depends on what kind of cedar you are talking about. Eastern red is soft as butter and very easy to turn. Downside is that it is also brittle. No second chances with catches.

Michael Stafford
08-16-2006, 4:14 PM
Well, Tom, you have answered my question. Yes, you can turn a box from cedar. Mark Cothren send me som cedar turning squares for another purpose but they are large enough for me to squeeze a box or two out of...

Your box is terrific and it I am betting there was some squealing on the side walls as you thinned them down. Good work!

Tom Sherman
08-17-2006, 3:51 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments folks, I did have a few problems with the first cedar box as I was cleaning up the bottom it split in half so I had to start over. Henry, there was no black light in those pics don't know why the blue haze is there. I used a new camera and I am somewhat photographically challenged still learning though. Mike yes there was a bit of squealing going on had me sweating bullets for a while.