PDA

View Full Version : sumptin' new with eBay?

Frank Fusco
08-15-2006, 6:45 PM
I haven't used eBay in several months. Yesterday I bid on an item. Today when I checked, the price I bid was showing as the current high bid. As I recall, in the past the bids were hidden until the auction ended. Does anyone know, fer sure, that eBay changed the system? If they did, I don't like it.

Jon Eckels
08-15-2006, 6:52 PM
Unless a specific seller decides to keep a particular auction private, the highest bid is always shown. It's been that way for years - at least as long as I can remember, and I've been a member since 99.

John Bailey
08-15-2006, 6:58 PM
I've always seen the highest bid also. The format looks a bit different and seems to make it more apparent. I noticed this just today.

John

Brett Baldwin
08-15-2006, 7:30 PM
I haven't been on in a while but it always showed the high bid as I recall.

Rob Russell
08-15-2006, 8:09 PM
Another vote for "it's been that way", and I've bought my share of stuff on Ebay.

Jim Young
08-15-2006, 8:44 PM
Frank, maybe you are thinking about your highest bid, that one doesn't show on the auction unless someone esle has bit the item up to your limit.

Rob Russell
08-15-2006, 8:52 PM
Frank,

A question for you, now that I think of it ...

If you couldn't see the bids until after the auction ended (at least what the highest bids to date are), how would you know how much to bid?

Rob

Matt Warfield
08-15-2006, 8:58 PM
Well, there was one change. I think what you're saying is that if no one has bid on an item and the starting bid is .01 and your max bid is $200.00 then it's showing $200.00, correct? Previously, and currently, it would list your bid at .01 until someone ups that bid. However, if the auction has a reserve and you just happen to pick that reserve amount or above, then the current bid will automatically be set at the reserve price.

Clear as mud? :D

Matt

Frank Fusco
08-16-2006, 4:52 PM
Y'all got me thinking I have the big 'A'. :confused: I have bought and sold on eBay for quite a few years and even have taught classes about it. Ones high bid (as I recall) has never been shown. A figure somwhere above starting price shows but not the top figure. To find that ofen required continually submitting bids until you no longer get the "you have been outbid" notice. Oh, well.

skip coyne
08-16-2006, 5:25 PM
last item I won was on 7/29 my proxy bid was 82.00 I won the action at 57.00 the 57.00 is all that shows on the auction page .

I think on your "my ebay page " it shows your proxy amount but that would only be visable to you when you lodgged in.