PDA

View Full Version : "Frankentool" Skewdom.

Jim King
08-15-2006, 6:41 PM
This is my try for the reign of Skewdom. The peice was made in six peices as you can see and when assembled makes a double bowl one on top of the other. Simple no shine finish. The wood is Dalmation Caspi and the peice assembled is 18 inches tall and 9.5 inches in dia.. I must admit it was the first time I ever sharpened a chisel on both sides, I actually fired a guy for doing that once. We call everything chisels "folmons" here as we never knew the English names. Sorry about the color varience in the photos, the sun was going down fast.

Tom Sherman
08-15-2006, 6:45 PM
Jim that is an outstanding entry, very creative how it all goes together.

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 7:14 PM
WOW JIM! You hollowed the inside of those pieces with a skew! Impressive, and our first entry!

Jim King
08-15-2006, 7:56 PM
The secret is that when you always thought it was done that way it is easier. The only new thing was sharpening both sides.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2006, 8:19 PM
Chris.......When the discussion was going on about Jim's skew....I warned about his talents! I suspect if we gave him a dull dinner fork he'd put out a winner! Jim............Well done!............I fold!

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 8:26 PM
Chris.......When the discussion was going on about Jim's skew....I warned about his talents! I suspect if we gave him a dull dinner fork he'd put out a winner! Jim............Well done!............I fold!

Not allowed. Quitters must forefit a kidney.

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 8:52 PM
I suspect if we gave him a dull dinner fork he'd put out a winner!!

Let's not encourage any more of Jim's "Meal" pictures...the one from a few days ago was, um...consuming.

-----

Jim -- great work!

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 8:54 PM
Let's not encourage any more of Jim's "Meal" pictures...the one from a few days ago was, um...consuming.

-----

Jim -- great work!

Did he eat a big jungle spider?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2006, 9:51 PM
Not allowed. Quitters must forefit a kidney.

Right or left kidney?:rolleyes: :D

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 9:51 PM
Jim that is a nice piece. I am guessing you dragged the scew across the bottom insides of the bowl? I dont think you can scew it in there ? can you?

Bob

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 9:54 PM
Did he eat a big jungle spider?

Naa.... see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41084

Jim King
08-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Bob: I guess that is probabaly what we do different here than you guys up there. The skew I made was sharpened from both sides into a round point to qualify as a skew. It can either be used to simply use the sharp edge to slice or cut off the wood depending on the angle you can get at it or it is very easy to use a scew as what you call a scraper. Turning wood is nothing but using anything harder than wood to wear it down to the shape you want. The only tool we have with a point is about 3/4 inch wide and the point is used for knocking down rough peices to manageable peices as quickly as possible. Round is in here, I hate catches, they are not healthful.

Don Baer
08-15-2006, 10:10 PM
The skew I made was sharpened from both sides into a round point to qualify as a skew. It can either be used to simply use the sharp edge to slice or cut off the wood depending on the angle you can get at it or it is very easy to use a scew as what you call a scraper.

I guess the franken skew can be called a skewper

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Based on the look of the resulting work...Don I'd say it was a "Super Skewper"!

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
I sharpen at least one of my skews as you do and use it the same way its basiclly a scraper if turned on its side ,I prefer an upward slant on the tool when used this way more cutting then scraping.

Bob: I guess that is probabaly what we do different here than you guys up there. The skew I made was sharpened from both sides into a round point to qualify as a skew. It can either be used to simply use the sharp edge to slice or cut off the wood depending on the angle you can get at it or it is very easy to use a scew as what you call a scraper. Turning wood is nothing but using anything harder than wood to wear it down to the shape you want. The only tool we have with a point is about 3/4 inch wide and the point is used for knocking down rough peices to manageable peices as quickly as possible. Round is in here, I hate catches, they are not healthful.

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Holy Cow Jim that is beautiful. I can tell you this I am like Ken. Can't hold a candle to that. Awesome job Jim.

Jonathon Spafford
08-16-2006, 2:04 AM
That is a beautiful piece of work... especially to have been done completely with a skew... that is really something to be proud of!!!

Vaughn McMillan
08-16-2006, 2:11 AM
Very nice, Jim, and very creative the way it all goes together. And amazing wood, which is pretty standard with your pieces. :)

And here I was thinking about entering a pen. :p

- Vaughn

Tony Kent
08-16-2006, 2:27 AM
Hi Jim,
Glad to see you here!!! You and the folks down there never cease to amaze me. That is a great piece....................again!
Hope you all are doin well,

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-16-2006, 8:14 AM
Lovely work, Jim. Another masterpiece. It's amazing what you can do with homemade tools!

Frank Fusco
08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Amazing. I w

Wally Lloyd
08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Down here we have to make most of our tools. For turning tools the rear right hand spring of a 1972 Toyota Corolla has the best steel!!!
We even made a sawmill from scratch once.

Mike Jory
08-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Jim,
As I said when I first saw this photo this morning on the other Forum, you have incredible artistic skills. This is beautiful work.
I guess this means you've figured out the tool, not only how to make one from scratch, but how to use it in every application.
I have never even heard of someone useing the skew to hollow out a form!

Myrel Willeford
08-16-2006, 11:21 AM
That is great love it, nice job.:)

Jim King
08-16-2006, 10:42 PM
I would just like to say thank you for all the nice comments. The turning is quite standard for us but we had never made it with such a strange tool.
It only took about 20 years but I finally learned the name of this unknown chisel in English.
Now my apprentice wants his shot at the contest and he is better than me so lets see what he can get done.

Ted Jay
08-16-2006, 11:20 PM
This is my try for the reign of Skewdom. The peice was made in six peices as you can see and when assembled makes a double bowl one on top of the other. Simple no shine finish. The wood is Dalmation Caspi and the peice assembled is 18 inches tall and 9.5 inches in dia.. I must admit it was the first time I ever sharpened a chisel on both sides, I actually fired a guy for doing that once. We call everything chisels "folmons" here as we never knew the English names. Sorry about the color varience in the photos, the sun was going down fast.

Jim, that wood is stunning. I like the color variances in the grain.
Is this piece natural, unstained?
Does this wood take stain easily?
Is it a heavy or light wood?
And the big question: When are you going to start selling guitar blanks for resawing into some nice laminate top guitars in all that beautiful wood you got there?
Ted

Wally Lloyd
08-17-2006, 8:16 AM
Ted, this is one of the hardest woods we have, quite heavy too.

Jim King
08-17-2006, 9:44 AM
Ted: We are working on guitar blanks and gun stocks but the problems incurred in drying have really slowed us down. When we get it figured out we will truly have some outstanding peices.

Ted Jay
08-17-2006, 9:45 PM
Ted: We are working on guitar blanks and gun stocks but the problems incurred in drying have really slowed us down. When we get it figured out we will truly have some outstanding peices.

Cool, I'll be looking forward to when all the problems are solved.:)

Ted, this is one of the hardest woods we have, quite heavy too.

Guess it'll have to be for bass guitars then...:D
And welcome to SMC Wally.