PDA

View Full Version : LaserBuzz Design

Tom Buzz Bernard
08-15-2006, 4:32 PM
I have another design for you all to try out. This yacht design will be sensitive to the thickness of the substrate you use. We always design for 1/8" Baltic Birch. On our web page we added some Toy Chest designs. Have fun and keep those grandchildren smiling with all the cool things you make them;)

Leigh Costello
08-15-2006, 4:40 PM
Love the yacht, it will go well with my motorcycle, tank, fighter jet, dollhouse and other fantastic stuff you have offered! Thanks.

I am now taking a moment to view the plans and mentally drooling. I am so glad my tomboy tendencies allow me to enjoy all your neat toys.
Jets, tanks, boats, dollhouses...so much to do so little substrate ...must order more!

Thanks again!

Tom Buzz Bernard
08-16-2006, 1:06 PM
Leigh,
Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure if I have lost interest from others?

Or maybe they got the design when I sent it out in my Newsletter? I still like to hear if anyone had success making it or any of our other designs.

So you got to read my A&E article, glad you liked it. I think next months will be more interesting.

Let me know how that big order went on wednesday, good luck!

Barbara Buhse
08-16-2006, 2:15 PM
Thanks tom, haven't tried to cut it yet, but it looks really cool!

Jason Sampson
08-16-2006, 2:23 PM
Thanks for sharing this Tom!

Jason

Rick Maitland
08-16-2006, 5:51 PM
This is great Tom. Thank you! Its very kind of you to share a design that I know a lot of work went in to.

Ray Mighells
08-16-2006, 8:53 PM
:) I think Tom does these on his break.???

Tom Buzz Bernard
08-17-2006, 7:56 AM
WOW, Thanks for the feedback, I feel inspired to do more!:D

Does anyone have feedback on making the Doll Houses for someone?

Or especially the furniture, I don't think you will find many designs that include the toilet, piano, and the kitchen sink:rolleyes:

I gave one of the 3 story assembled Doll Houses to a friends daughter. Wait, let me back up, she has some small doll houses so I gave her the furniture first and she gushed all over it as she pulled them out of the box. She tried them in her current Doll Houses and they fit tight. I then went and got the 3 story Doll House and gave it to her and she burst out crying and kept repeating this is just too much, too much, which started her mother crying - hell I damn near started to cry. I don't know about you, but I sure felt good at that point for what little talent I have to make a child feel so happy!!! Sure made the memory of the last angry customer fade away.

William Capman
08-17-2006, 8:49 AM
Hi Tom,

I am in the process of gluing up a doll house for my local craft & gift store. I had shown the store owner the first one that I cut when she stopped by to pick up some other products. She wanted it right then, off the work bench. She wants to make it the center point of a display just inside the store entrance and thinks it will be a big item from now through Christmas.

We have not discussed pricing and I need some help in that area. It will be on consignment. She was suggesting a price of around $95.00 for the glued up model and maybe $15 or $20 less for a kit, if a Dad or a Grandpa want to build it themselves. Any feed back on the selling price from others?

I’m still hobbling around with my broken foot and can not drive, so will probably not be able to get to her until late next week.

Bill
Wachusett Laser Crafts

Tom Buzz Bernard
08-17-2006, 9:29 AM
Hi Bill,
I first displayed the new Toy Chest product designs at the NBM Indy show. I had a customer of ours who worked the booth with us to handle customers who just wanted to purchase wholesale items, the reason this is relevant is he took three orders for the Doll House - 2 he sold unassembled at $75.00, one assembled at $100.00.

With that said, I had no idea the Doll Houses could or would sell for that kind of money. We usually just try to develop products that can be high volume and wholesaled, but at that price one could sell retail and make a few bucks:confused:

I just made up a few kits for the Awana program at church. Not of the houses, but the smaller Toy Chest items. I think they will be a big incentive for the kids. I'm becoming a big softy, maybe I could grow my beard long, buy a red suit and play Santa this year:rolleyes:

Dave Jones
08-17-2006, 9:38 AM
She tried them in her current Doll Houses and they fit tight.

I designed a couple of pieces of dollhouse furniture for a friend, and in the process found that most dollhouse furniture is either 1" = 1' or 1/2" = 1' (1:12 or 1:24)

If you design your stuff at those scales then your furniture should fit standard dollhouses, and your dollhouses should hold standard dollhouse furniture.

Leigh Costello
08-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi there Buzz! Well, now that I gave them such a selection, they are going to order a bunch of one and want to offer another for personalization by their club member. Didn't even flinch at the price I quoted. Now that being said, with the variety to choose from, it will take them a little more time to decide. So if they order, do you think it would be out of line to request a percentage of the cost of the original order when it is placed?
Leigh

Tom Buzz Bernard
08-18-2006, 7:52 AM
Leigh, in this case I think it would be OK to ask for some up front. There are always exceptions to the rule. I had a laser customer get a corporate order, much to our surprise they ordered over 12,000 pieces. The corporation (just like the company I use to run) is not set up to make advance payments. Actually we had invoice periods, if the invoice came in just after the cycle period, then it would be paid in the following cycle. This means your payment could be close to 60 days out. My suggestion was to batch bill on the same P.O. # as you completed the work. By the way this order was unusual in it's size and it doesn't take this big of an order to want to bill as you complete. $$$ amount matters. I've seen Government orders run 90 days easy in account receivables.
Another method I suggest (when wholesaling orders to a retail outlet) tell them the first order can be made by credit card, then you will invoice them net 30 on all orders after that. This gives you their credit card info (safety net) encase they do not pay in the future.

Leigh Costello
08-19-2006, 1:47 AM
I will be meeting with some other folks on Saturday, yipes later today. They do the school clubs and such and were wondering if I could offer some samples for the club members to see. May be getting more business that way too. So between the United Bowhunters of Missouri and our local schools, I may be a very busy person for a while. :D

Thanks for all your help!
You rock!
Leigh

Tom Buzz Bernard
08-21-2006, 9:38 AM
Leigh, Do you have the graduation design that allows the tassle to be hung on the Wall Tribute? This may make a good product for the schools?

Jeff Lehman
08-21-2006, 9:56 AM
After reading this thread I searched on "dollhouse" and read where in June, that you were still working out the bugs in the pattern. Is it available yet?

Thanks

Tom Buzz Bernard
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Yes, we have 3 Toy Chest kits available. 2 are Doll houses, with furniture! You can see them under Toy Chest on our web page www.laserbuzz.com (http://www.laserbuzz.com)

Leigh Costello
08-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Yes Buzz, I have that pattern. Actually did not notice it until you mentioned it. What a wonderful thing to add to the sample pak...for all of you who don't have any of the Laserbuzz software, do try some. I have so much fun just making samples to show and especially love to take orders for them. ;)