PDA

View Full Version : Angle Finders

Aaron Beaver
08-15-2006, 2:06 PM
What do you guys use. I did buy one which is nice because you can "zero" it out and then get the angle relative to that. Only problem is that its VERY hard to read.

Wondering if there are any other gadgets to get/verify angles on drill presses, table saw blades, etc. Wanted to see if you guys used any that have been helpful and accurate.

Thanks

tod evans
08-15-2006, 3:49 PM
aaron, i use a starrett device..02 tod

Chris Padilla
08-15-2006, 4:19 PM
Aaron, I'm curious, why is it hard to read? Is it just machined marks/numbers right into the metal...like Tod's above? If so, use a marker to highlight stuff. I heard of one guy "slopping" some joint compound onto his square to make all the marks/numbers jump out.

You could also paint it, and then sand off the paint and the paint should stay in the recesses.

Aaron Beaver
08-15-2006, 5:16 PM
Aaron, I'm curious, why is it hard to read? Is it just machined marks/numbers right into the metal...like Tod's above? If so, use a marker to highlight stuff. I heard of one guy "slopping" some joint compound onto his square to make all the marks/numbers jump out.

You could also paint it, and then sand off the paint and the paint should stay in the recesses.

Chris, very small painted on lettering, and I mean small especially if you have it on your table saw blade and have to squat down in front of your saw just to line your eyes up with it to see it. Seems like a mile away to see the thing.
Here is a link to it. I love the way it works, you can "zero" it out on your saw top then put it on the blade and adjust to whats needed. Also has a magnetic base which is very useful, markings are very small though.

I could just get a magnifying glass and hold up to it when I need to read something. :D

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32584&cat=1,43513

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 5:16 PM
I actually use a Neander bevel gage...and a protractor if I need to know the actual measurement in degrees.

Chris Padilla
08-15-2006, 5:24 PM
Chris, very small painted on lettering, and I mean small especially if you have it on your table saw blade and have to squat down in front of your saw just to line your eyes up with it to see it. Seems like a mile away to see the thing.
Here is a link to it. I love the way it works, you can "zero" it out on your saw top then put it on the blade and adjust to whats needed. Also has a magnetic base which is very useful, markings are very small though.

I could just get a magnifying glass and hold up to it when I need to read something. :D

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32584&cat=1,43513

You should email LV and tell them about how difficult the scale is to read. You might be surprised what they have to offer 6 months later! I asked them a few times for a long Aluminum straight-edge and low and behold, they came out with one! I'm sure I wasn't the only one but they do listen to their customers.

Brad Townsend
08-15-2006, 7:26 PM
Has anyone tried one of these yet?

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html

Steve Beadle
08-15-2006, 7:38 PM
Aaron, I have the same device and have the same problem reading the tiny scale. It has the feel of a quality tool, but it's just too hard to read. I have also had trouble getting it to move at times. The scale seems to get stuck and will not rotate. I need to work with it some more, so I can get a better feel for the problem.

Ooooh! Just saw that digital angle gauge. I really like that idea! If it's truly accurate, that is!

Steve

Aaron Beaver
08-15-2006, 7:50 PM

ahhhh, thats what I am talking about. I hope someone here has used/tested one, if not I may be the first.

You should email LV and tell them about how difficult the scale is to read. You might be surprised what they have to offer 6 months later! I asked them a few times for a long Aluminum straight-edge and low and behold, they came out with one! I'm sure I wasn't the only one but they do listen to their customers.

I just called them and they will take any feedback or suggestions as long as its a item they make, the AcuAngle I have is not one of those.

Bruce Page
08-15-2006, 8:10 PM
Aaron, this is my Brown & Sharp version of an angle finder. It's an oldie but goodie.

Doug Shepard
08-15-2006, 8:45 PM
It's hard to beat a plain old bevel gauge. For setting angles on the bevel gauge I picked up a set of machinists setup blocks that's been getting a fair bit of use. No measuring or reading involved with either of those. I also have an Incra protractor if I need to draw layout lines at a specific angle. Then there's the asin, acos, and atan functions on the calculator.

Chris Padilla
08-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Looks good and the price isn't too bad either! Go for it, Aaron!!

Gary Curtis
08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Bevel Guage and a $30 scale called the Bevel Boss. The new smaller Bevel Boss has profiles for cutting dovetails.

The scale is big and easy to read. Sold at Lee Valley, Highland Tools, etc.

Gary Curtis

Aaron Beaver
08-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Looks good and the price isn't too bad either! Go for it, Aaron!!

I did, I ordered one this morning so I will see what its like and compare it to the other one I have for accuracy. Besides I can always return it, sell it, or find another use for it if its not real accurate.

Jamie Buxton
08-16-2006, 11:28 AM

Hmm... They spec the resolution and the repeatability, but not the accuracy. That's clear and honest specs, and I applaud them for it. However, accuracy may be what really counts in your application.

Gary Curtis
08-16-2006, 11:46 AM
I have to drill a bunch of different size holes for lag bolts. Is there any online source of wall charts showing the proper drill sizes? I'll even pay.

Gary Curtis

Aaron Beaver
08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Hmm... They spec the resolution and the repeatability, but not the accuracy. That's clear and honest specs, and I applaud them for it. However, accuracy may be what really counts in your application.

Sent an email simply asking "what is the accuracy of the angle guage"

Reply:
Aaron;

Thanks for your interest in our product. It is accurate and repeatable to within +/- .1 degree which is 6 minutes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike Goetzke
08-16-2006, 11:56 AM
I know it's large and pricy but maybe look at:

Bosch DWM40LK Miter Finder Digital

Chris Padilla
08-16-2006, 11:58 AM
I have to drill a bunch of different size holes for lag bolts. Is there any online source of wall charts showing the proper drill sizes? I'll even pay.

Gary Curtis

Gary,

I'm not sure what this question has to do with the topic of this thread (you should start a new thread) but a caliper to measure the rod size of the lag bolt should get you close to the pilot hole size.

Gary Curtis
08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Oops. It should have been a new thread. Please don't beat me with an Angle Finder. HEE HEE.

GC

Rich Torino
08-20-2006, 12:43 PM
just received my Wixey angle finder in the mail... So far I like it...
Easy and quick to use and the accuracy seem to be right on.
It makes setting angles that are not 90 or 45 a real snap.

Alan Schaffter
08-20-2006, 12:58 PM

I've been looking at that. If its as easy to use as the Wixey planer thickness gauge and the (beta) Wixey table saw digital fence, then it is a winner. It should be great for setting up TS bevel, jointer fence, even drill angle.

For regular angle finding I have one similar to the Starret and the Brown and Sharp. Think I got it at Grizzly for a lot cheaper than the other two.

Aaron Beaver
08-21-2006, 10:21 AM
I just got mine this Saturday and it is very easy to read and use. Found out that my "0" on my table saw blade was not 90 (to the table) and I could accurately and easily set the blade to 45. I have not tried it on my band saw or miter saw yet, but I will.

Brad Townsend
08-23-2006, 6:07 PM

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html I answered my own question and ordered one of them myself. I haven't even used it in the shop yet and I'm already impressed. I was building a railing for the stairs on our deck and needed to know the angle to cut the rail. I just set my 3' level on a flat surface, attached the angle finder, zeroed it out and set the level in the stair stringer. The readout gave me the angle to make all the cuts and they were dead on.

Chris Padilla
08-23-2006, 8:12 PM
Cool...might need to ask for one for my stocking this year! :)

Bob Noles
08-23-2006, 8:44 PM
Trying to reduce modern gadgetry in the shop, I have been looking at this one.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52403&cat=1,42936,50298

anyone have any comments on it?

Brad Townsend
08-24-2006, 8:34 AM
Trying to reduce modern gadgetry in the shop
Is it even legal to do that?:D

Bob Noles
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Is it even legal to do that?:D

Probably not :eek: