PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Walnut: What is it? What is fill grade?

Bob Weisner
08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi:

What is Turkish Walnut? How does it compare to American Black Walnut?

Is there such a thing as "Fill Grade" Walnut?

Thanks,

Jamie Buxton
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Turkish walnut is probably the same as "persian walnut" or "english walnut". Those are names for the walnuts we eat. American black walnut produces nuts which are said to be rather unpalatable, and small. In California nut orchards, black walnut is used as the root stock, grafted over to persian walnut anyplace from ankle level to head-high on the tree. The persian walnut from these trees is lighter in color than black walnut, but otherwise looks similar.

I've never heard of "fill grade" walnut.

Steve Schoene
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
American black walnuts are a long way from being unpalateable--they contribute a very attractive flavor to cooking. Much better in brownies than pecans or English walnuts. But black walnets aren't often found commercially since the nut meats are very hard to remove from the shell, and I doubt there is a mechanized solution.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
American Black Walnuts are in fact quite good. They are oily and have really thick tough shells making the meat hard to get at.

The English Walnut is, I think, a very beautiful wood having superior grain and color as compared to the Black Walnut.

Kent Fitzgerald
08-15-2006, 12:07 PM
I've never heard of "fill grade." If someone knows of an industry-accepted definition, great, but I'm skeptical when vendors come up with nonstandard grading descriptions. Wasn't one of the big box stores advertising "prime grade center cut" lumber a few years ago?

Tom Jones III
08-15-2006, 2:22 PM
One of the lumber yards that I use has a designation #1 common, in my understanding this is a grade lower than what they have on the shelves for common consumption. Possibly fill grade is the same thing? However, I think Kent has it right, when a store comes up with their own terms they are usually trying to get away with something.

Brent Grooms
08-15-2006, 2:27 PM
Hi:

What is Turkish Walnut? How does it compare to American Black Walnut?

Is there such a thing as "Fill Grade" Walnut?

Thanks,

I might have an answer for you. Turkish walnut is quite often used or touted as "the best" for use in gunstocks. Prime blanks can go for thousands of dollars. As for the "Fill Grade" I think it is actually filigree.(not sure of the spelling) Normally this word is used in terms of metal work but I have run into more than one gunsmith that will apply it to the wood figure, quilting etc.

Norman Hitt
08-15-2006, 2:29 PM
Maybe the vendor is just being Truthful, :rolleyes: (in a sneaky way), about the quality of the wood, and means that it will take a lot of "Filling" to cover up the voids and blemishes, or it should only be used for interior structure of cabinetry/furniture where it won't be seen. :D (I've seen some wood for sale that SHOULD have had that "Grade" stamped on it).

Nick Roper
08-15-2006, 2:40 PM
American black walnuts are a long way from being unpalateable--they contribute a very attractive flavor to cooking. Much better in brownies than pecans or English walnuts. But black walnets aren't often found commercially since the nut meats are very hard to remove from the shell, and I doubt there is a mechanized solution.
Actually there is a mechanical method however the price is still around 15.00 per pound wholesale for Black Walnuts compared to around 2.00 for the English flavor free variety.
Black Walnuts also have a premium price on their shells which are a prized abrasive used in some rather sensitive manufacturing processes.