PDA

View Full Version : "Slow setting plastic resin glue"

Brad Hammond
10-02-2003, 4:27 PM
what's the glue david marks uses when he's got a difficult glue up. he calls it a "slow setting plastic resin glue"
thanx
brad

Bob Lasley
10-02-2003, 4:56 PM
Brad,

Its probably something like Unibond 800.

Bob

Brad Hammond
10-02-2003, 5:37 PM
Brad,

Its probably something like Unibond 800.

Bob

unibond.........thanx bob

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-02-2003, 9:23 PM
Or DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin that comes in tubs that you mix with water. I use that for pretty much everything now. No raised glue lines or creep like you (I) get with yellow glues...

KC

Greg Daves
10-03-2003, 1:18 AM
what's the glue david marks uses when he's got a difficult glue up. he calls it a "slow setting plastic resin glue"
thanx
brad

Actually participated on a chat line with David Marks over on WoodNet this past Sunday and that question came up. He said it was Urac 185 from Highland Hardware.

Link: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=1659

Quite an interesting guy, and very nice.

GD

Rich Enders
10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
For a 14 layer bentwood lamination project I tried DAP Resorcinol (the local Rockler only had two choices and the other one was $150 epoxy). Besides Resorcinol’s dark red color it is very difficult to mix to get rid of the hardener lumps, and it winds up being too viscous to spread very thin.

URAC 185, and also Unibond 800 both involve the same process as the Resorcinol of adding a powdered hardener to a liquid resin, so I may still have the same viscosity problem. DAP Weldwood says it is to be mixed with water which hopefully would give better viscosity control.

Has anyone tried these?

Jamie Buxton
10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
URAC 185, and also Unibond 800 both involve the same process as the Resorcinol of adding a powdered hardener to a liquid resin, so I may still have the same viscosity problem. DAP Weldwood says it is to be mixed with water which hopefully would give better viscosity control.

Has anyone tried these?

I use Unibond 800 quite a lot. The catalyst mixes into the resin quite easily. I find that if I stir it, let it slake for a few minutes, and stir it again, there's no lumps.

I use it for veneering, and spread it with a throwaway foam roller. It rolls out quite nicely.

Frank Hagan
10-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I've used DAP Weldwood, and mixing can be a chore if the glue is old. The first tub I bought was sitting in a hardware store for a few years. But the fresh tub I bought worked very well. Instructions for use are at the DAP Site (http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=42), as well as the MSDS. Some people get a "contact dermititis" from it, so you should wear latex or vinyl gloves.

The tech bulletin at that link provides the way to mix; measure out equal amounts of water and powder, pour 2/3 of the water into a mixing container, add the powder and mix, then slowly add remaining water. Pot life is about 4 hours. DAP recommends it for things like cutting boards, and chopping blocks, so the cured glue is OK for those things.

tom tangie
10-18-2008, 4:28 PM
Weldwood plastic resin glue. It comes in powder and mix in water. You wont find it at typical hardware store like Lowes or HD. Couple of my local lumber yards carry it, Austin and Ganahl.

John Lucas
10-18-2008, 7:43 PM
Unibond 800, Weldwood or any of the powder mixes...if you are a cook, mix like a roux. For the non-cooks, mix powder and a little of the liquid into a thick paste. Mix until smooth then add whatever amount of the liquid you need...no lumps...smooth as gravy should be.

Frank Hagan
10-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Weldwood plastic resin glue. It comes in powder and mix in water. You wont find it at typical hardware store like Lowes or HD. Couple of my local lumber yards carry it, Austin and Ganahl.

I found it at my local ACE Hardware, and at a local lumber store. Its also available from aircraft building supplies (amateur airplane builders love it ... Aircraft Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/weldwood.php) carries it). Also Amazon.com as item number B001003J16.

Will Blick
10-19-2008, 1:27 AM
Urac 185 has a 30 minute open time.... not that much complex glue ups.... so whats the big appeal?

Dap Weldwood has 120 minute open time....

LV has Cold Cure Glue, 30 minute open time?

I am sure DM knows what he is doing.... can anyone explain the appeal to the Urac 185?

Frank Hagan
10-19-2008, 1:28 PM
Urac 185 has a 30 minute open time.... not that much complex glue ups.... so whats the big appeal?

I am sure DM knows what he is doing.... can anyone explain the appeal to the Urac 185?

Maybe he's just more comfortable with it; most of us quit experimenting with new products when we find something that works. I've used Weldwood urea-formaldehyde plastic resin glue before, and like it, so maybe Mark's is in that same position.

John Hain
10-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I know I've still been assembling/adjusting for around 45 minutes with Urac185 without problems.

If you're like me, if you're still assembling/adjusting after 45 minutes, you didn't do very good planning beforehand....;)

Randy Klein
10-20-2008, 7:04 AM
thanx
brad

Here's his own words (http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/Where_can_I_get_the_SlowSetting_Plastic_Resin_Glue _you_often_use_46688.asp) and a PDF (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.djmarks.com%2Fpdf%2Fureaglue. pdf&ei=cGX8SI39IY2mernnpCk&usg=AFQjCNH3gg7B6iitEJD0qNGuK-60vZV9xA&sig2=yvVd80rO0UmMn0Y7-cyHeQ).

Ronald Kellison
10-20-2008, 1:51 PM

LV Cold Cure is a clear, very low viscosity epoxy made by Industrial Formulators. I've used it extensively when building boats. Setup time (30-60 minutes) is primarily related to temperature but can also be affected by the mixing ratio. An excellent glue, (:))but pricey compared to Weldwood.

Ron

Dave Avery
10-20-2008, 3:57 PM
Anyone know if a respirator needs to be worn? I checked the MSDS which talks about PPM without really saying whether it's required or adviseable. Many thanks...... Best. Dave.

Randy Klein
10-20-2008, 5:38 PM
Anyone know if a respirator needs to be worn? I checked the MSDS which talks about PPM without really saying whether it's required or adviseable. Many thanks...... Best. Dave.

I do when mixing, since the powder kinda poofs everywhere. But I don't after it's all liquid.

Peter Quinn
10-20-2008, 6:52 PM
What is the appeal of a 30 minute open time versus the next best PVA alternative of 14 minutes 'maybe' with titebond III. Is this a serious question? When I'm gluing up an extra 16 minutes is like light years.

I'm known at work as the "Anal-izer" because I analyze each glue up, dry fit twice at least, set my clamps to length, set my self up as much as possible before applying glue (some say I set up too much). I don't like suprises once the glue clock starts ticking. I suppose there are situations where a 120 minute open time may have some appeal, but in my work I have yet to encounter them. If a glue up takes longer than 30 minutes to assemble I have a cup of coffee, develop a sub assembly strategy, add a second person to the job, find a more efficient applicator, something.

Does the 120 minute open time translate into a longer clamp time too? Seems most plastic resin glue or 45 minute epoxies I have encountered have about a 12 hour clamp time at 70 degrees, the epoxy i know can be seriously expedited by raising the temp with an electric blanket. In my home shop clamp time is rarely an issue, but at work sharing space and clamps with 7 other guys and having to account for each minute of shop time to the forman, slow setting glues often don't work in my favor.

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 6:58 PM
Peter,

It all depends on what you need to do! It is project specific. I was putting together a 7' x 4' gate using epoxy and the 2 hour open time was a godsend because things were just too tough to put together in 10 mins.

Rich Enders
10-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the guidance. Even though the Resorcinol was a pain to mix, and too thick to apply reasonably thin, the bentwood lamination went OK and the leg is rigid with no measurable snap back. Probably making roux will solve the mixing problem.

I have now obtained the Unibond, and the Weldwood adhesives (The URAC is on 2 week backorder). I will glue up the remaining legs and see how these adhesives compare.

Probably the conditions in Arizona are a factor also.