PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

Liem Tran
08-15-2006, 2:22 AM
Hello everyone
I finally found some time to really play with my lathe. After I got the hang of turning some spindles, I wanted to try turning a bowl. I didn't have a way to mount the bowl to work on the base, so I just left it alone.
Feel free to criticize. :D

Liem

Scott Donley
08-15-2006, 2:29 AM
Nothing I can see to criticize ! Outstanding first, would be an outstanding 20th for that matter.

Barry Stratton
08-15-2006, 2:34 AM
Way better than my first (or 10th) bowl! Good job Liem!

Details though - what kind of wood??, dimensions??, finish???

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 3:10 AM
Great looking work, Liem. What's the size/wood/finish?

BTW: Have you considered making a donut chuck for finishing the bottoms of bowls?

Tony Kent
08-15-2006, 3:49 AM
Hello
wow that's your first? very nice...good job all around. My first was awful, just awful...lol.
Take care,

Glenn Hodges
08-15-2006, 4:19 AM
You have a nack for the design, and I look forward to seeing more of your work on the Creek. You have all you need to finish the bottom of your bowl. Do a search on the creek about reverse mounting the bowl or finishing the bottom. There should be a lot of info about this already posted here.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-15-2006, 5:15 AM
Looks great for your first bowl.

Make yourself a Donut chuck, they are easy to build and work great.

The bottom of your bowl, and the inside is a bit flat, it usually looks better if it is less flat and more of a curve, but certainly, you are doing very well!

Cheers!

Ben Werner
08-15-2006, 7:00 AM
Looks great!!:D

Is that a crack I see??!! uh oh
I love the form though nice execution on the inside too!

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 7:33 AM
My first bowl didn't look anything like yours! Mine barely looked like a bowl at all. Yours is great.

Raymond Overman
08-15-2006, 7:45 AM
Great job Liem. For a first bowl I think you're well ahead of the curve.

For finishing the bottom, you may want to look up jamb chuck. A donut chuck is a great way to go but is a little more involved.

Mark Cothren
08-15-2006, 8:44 AM
Very impressive for a first bowl, Liem!!! Nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2006, 10:14 AM
I've been turning for 6 months and your first bowl looks better than mine do today! Nicely done Liem!

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Very nice bowl Liem. You did a outstanding job. That looks way better than my first for sure.

Joe Fisher
08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I agree with the other posters; nice work!

As for finishing the bottom, I'm waaaaaaay too lazy to make a donut chuck :) It also doesn't fit my style of work.

I'm a big fan of using a friction chuck to finish the bottom. All that requires is a block of wood, something squishy (rubber, router mat, drawer liner, etc.), a piece of fine sandpaper and the tailstock. It's also the only way to finish the bottom of a natural-edged bowl (which I do a lot of) if you don't have a vacuum chuck. Vacuum chucks suck, anyway (they suck! Get it? Nyuk nyuk nyuk!).

If you can't find any resources using the search feature, feel free to ask.

-Joe

P.S. Just kidding about the vacuum chuck. They're very cool, but I can't justify the expense at the moment, since I don't have any trouble with friction chucking, even on a bowl upwards of 15" in diameter.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Glad you got the lathe repaired. It was worth the wait. VERY NICE bowl!

Bruce

Keith Burns
08-15-2006, 3:30 PM
Liem, that is a great first bowl. You have a good eye for form. You are well on your way. Now, lets see more:) :)

David Foshee
08-15-2006, 4:41 PM
Looks great my first one ended up in pieces on the floor.

Liem Tran
08-15-2006, 4:52 PM
Looks great!!:D

Is that a crack I see??!! uh oh
I love the form though nice execution on the inside too!

No! There's 3 cracks! ;)

Liem Tran
08-15-2006, 4:57 PM
WOW! Thanks for all the positive comments. Is it really that good for a first? I really don't know what I'm doing. I got on the lathe immediately after watching Richard Raffan's video. :D Maybe that's what helped me.

What's a donut chuck? Gotta look that up. Is it like the Nova cole jaw set? If it is, That's what I plan on making next.
I'll post more pics asap

Liem