PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw rail length and cutting width confusion on Grizzly 1023SL?

Mark Rios
08-15-2006, 1:26 AM
Okay, I'm really close to pulling the trigger and ordering this thing but now I'm really confused (what else is new).

What model of Grizzly 1023 comes with 50" rails? Doesn't this length rail allow for 30" (or more) to one side of the blade? The specs on the Grizzly site state that the 1023SL cuts 8" on one side and 26" on the other. That's only 34"; where does the other 16" go? I would like to get 30" to the left of the blade. Can this happen with 50" rails?

Thanks for your help and advice.

glenn bradley
08-15-2006, 2:35 AM
Not sure I understand the question "I would like to get 30" to the left of the blade. Can this happen with 50" rails?". Do you intend to use the fence on the left side of the fence? If so, I believe the answer is no. Griz 7 foot rails add width on the right of the blade.

My fence is a 30-30. 30" on either side of the blade but it is an anomaly and is not made to fit a Griz. I have seen folks buy really long rails and modify them to provide more left side fence support than intended but, have not done this myself.

I hear Griz is easy to talk to, I'd call their support line or email:

CALL:(570) 546-9663FAX:(800) 438-5901E-MAIL:Customer Service: csr@grizzly.com (csr@grizzly.com)
Technical Service: techsupport@grizzly.com (techsupport@grizzly.com)

scott spencer
08-15-2006, 6:34 AM
Hi Mark - The angle iron that makes up the "T" portion of the t-square designs that locks against the rail is usually ~ 14"-20" wide, thus giving a rip capacity of the length of rail to the right of the blade minus about half of the "T" length, and ~ half the width of the fence. Griz's 7' rails have the 50-52" rip, the 50" rails give 26". It's a bit confusuing b/c both rail length and rip capacity of are often mistakenly interchanged. HTH.

Bart Leetch
08-15-2006, 8:48 AM
The actual rail for the 50" Shop Fox rip fence is 7' long.

See the shop Fox fence on my Unisaw.

Mark Rios
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Nah Glenn, your correct. I'm a bonehead. I meant 30" to the right of the blade.

Scott, I wasn't aware that the "T"-portion was that long. I can see now where the extra length goes. I guess I never used a REAL saw. :D The "T" part on my fence is only 10" wide; it locks at the back as well to keep it form moving.

My rails now on my Emerson built Ridgid are 61" (the front rail, the back one is a little shorter). I recently moved them to the right to get more capacity on that side, 32" now, and I still have about 20" to the left of the blade.

Thanks very much for the info and your time.

And thanks for the contact info, I'll give them a call.