PDA

View Full Version : The SAGA continues!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Picture #6 - I took a chance and cut it up. Looks like one side grained piece about 7-7 1/2" and an end grain thing 3-1/2 X 4" (What am I saying......... end grain............... There ain't no Grain left in this thing.)

The biggest piece is mounted in Picture #7. My lathe was crying "What did I do to deserve this kind of treatment?" I had to agree, but a gift!?!?! MUST be turned!

Picture #8- If I remember correctly............... Andy said something about this being "SPALTED HICKORY"................. Looks more like Rotten limburger cheese. Talk about TEAROUT. Good thing I had my faceshield on. Think of turning Green wood where the Water feels and sounds like Grains of SAND hitting you. The picture really doesn't do the punkiness justice!

Picture #9....................... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM at least there seems to be some interesting stuff going on here.

Picture #10 - Boy am I going to have to do SOMETHING HERE! .................................................. Better stabilize it or it's going to GET ME!

Oh OH , That's ten. Got to go to another post!

Be Right back!

Bruce;)

OOPS, forgot to add Pictures........... Here they are.

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 11:13 PM
That's what I call taking it to the limit. Go Bruce!:D

Mark Rios
08-14-2006, 11:16 PM
HOLY PUKING PACHEEBIES.......................................

I'll say it again....You turning folks are amazing. Way to go Bruce. What will it be, what will it be?

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 2:57 AM
Keep it up, Bruce, it looks like you've something special going there!

Dale Overman
08-15-2006, 8:51 AM
Good looking start. It is fun to start with something that looks like a piece of cork and the more you work the more you are sure it is cork but finally you end up with a nice piece. good looking start, looking forward to finished product.

Don Baer
08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Bruce,
Your takiing that little Rikon to the limit. Good job.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2006, 10:18 AM
GO Bruce! Can't wait to see the final product!

Reed Gray
08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Bruce,
I am kind of curious as to why you didn't trim up the blank more (chain saw and/or bandsaw) before you started turning. It saves a lot work, and gets you to long shavings faster. I guess that translates to more time turning, and less time roughing.
robo hippy

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-15-2006, 12:31 PM
I Agree, in most cases with what you said, Reed, BUT there ARE NO SHAVINGS with this thing! It roughed rather quickly, as it tore off chunks of grain quite well.

Bruce

Keith Burns
08-15-2006, 3:28 PM
Bruce, you got it looking good ! Looking forward to seeing the finished product:) :)

Paul Engle
08-25-2006, 4:40 PM
I have a piece of concrete that looks like that ......poor lathe...

Jason Christenson
08-25-2006, 5:29 PM
When you put a blank like that on the lathe without "pre-rounding" it in any way, what do you use to rough turn it? Bowl gouge? Roughing gouge?

Richard Jones
08-25-2006, 6:02 PM
Bruce,

I admire your tenacity, for sure.

One thing I don't like about my Rikon is that the banjo is too short to take advantage of a piece that is max for the swing. I sort of have to attack the edge trimming details from both sides. Not real happy about that, but still a nice lathe.

The pennies are adding up for the 1642, we'll see what the next couple of months brings..........

Rich in VA