PDA

View Full Version : Big 'ol bowl (pix)

Joe Fisher
08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I had to put my new MM16 to some good use, so I cut out a blank that barely fit my lathe. After I got it on there and lined up the way I wanted it, I had to nip a corner off so it'd spin freely ;)

Sycamore crotch. 15"+ in diameter. Finish is BLO.

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/bowl_081406_1.jpg

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/bowl_081406_2.jpg

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/bowl_081406_3.jpg

It really is an impressive piece, sizewize.

My neighbor asked me to turn her a salad bowl set. I was considering using this as the central piece. Whaddya think? She wants to pay me for it, but I'm not sure what I'd ask. Maybe if I had less fun turning them :)

-Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Nice turning and pretty wood Joe! I like the different colors in that wood!

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 11:31 PM
That is some mighty fine turning and wood. Love the colors. Nice job.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Joe great job really nice. things to think about when pricing , wood cost, real or possible , who is the person , design , is it yours, theres, how much time does it cost you and what is your time worth. I turned fifteen bowls friday after noon two sizes 6 and eleven nice wood but free . I will charge based on time 45.oo hr so three hours divided by fifteen plus what I call the ooohh value..20%

Bob

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 2:59 AM
Nice looking bowl, Joe. Quite a colorful piece of wood.

Glenn Hodges
08-15-2006, 4:44 AM
That is a beauty. Ask her what she thinks is a fair price.

Mark Cothren
08-15-2006, 8:52 AM
That's some very pretty wood, Bob! More color than I expected to see in Sycamore, but my experience is fairly limited. A nice bowl, for sure!

Travis White
08-15-2006, 9:31 AM
Very nice, I like the changing colors in the wood.

Joe Fisher
08-15-2006, 9:48 AM
Thanks for the nice words, everyone :)

Yea, I was really surprised to see all the color in there. It's a crotch piece, so that may have contributed to the colors.

Really I'm just wondering if it'd make a functional salad bowl. I'm not going to charge much, since I like my neighbors :) I'll just take a token amount so she doesn't feel guilty about taking gifts. It's rare to find truly good neighbors, and we take care of each other.

-Joe

Joe Fisher
08-15-2006, 10:07 AM
That's some very pretty wood, Bob! More color than I expected to see in Sycamore, but my experience is fairly limited. A nice bowl, for sure!
Hey, thanks! Who's Bob? :)

-Joe

Joe Fisher
08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Joe great job really nice. things to think about when pricing , wood cost, real or possible , who is the person , design , is it yours, theres, how much time does it cost you and what is your time worth. I turned fifteen bowls friday after noon two sizes 6 and eleven nice wood but free . I will charge based on time 45.oo hr so three hours divided by fifteen plus what I call the ooohh value..20%
You mean you turned 15 bowls in 3 hours? Does that include sanding and finishing? You're a better man than I am, sir! :)

I've got at least 3 hours into this bowl alone, between chainsawing the blank, bandsawing it, turning, sanding and finishing.

What do you charge for swearing at the bowl when it misbehaves during turning? I could be rich!

-Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Very interesting bowl. Well done and great color!

Bruce

Keith Burns
08-15-2006, 3:31 PM
Nice job on this one Bob:) :)

Joe Fisher
08-15-2006, 3:41 PM
Nice job on this one Bob:) :)
Dang. That one's gonna stick, ain't it? :D

-Joe

Andy Hoyt
08-15-2006, 4:02 PM
Hey Bob. In order to be a bonafide member you must use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6)with that information and she will update your registration accordingly.:D

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 8:27 PM
You mean you turned 15 bowls in 3 hours? Does that include sanding and finishing? You're a better man than I am, sir! :)

I've got at least 3 hours into this bowl alone, between chainsawing the blank, bandsawing it, turning, sanding and finishing.

What do you charge for swearing at the bowl when it misbehaves during turning? I could be rich!

-Joe
Well ,actually Joe in the wood working industry Its called the irratation factor,usually applied to troublesum customers, but can be aplied to bowls as well ,can be as much as 20%, and I used 8/4 Hondurous Mahogany ,its soft and turns easily ,and the shape was simple, yours was not so simple.
I try not to sand ,it takes to long I practice on sharpening and cuttting its cheaperand easier on the fingers.
Bob

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 9:40 PM
hey Bob

here are those bowls no comparison to yours.

Sorry Joe I couldnt resist images/icons/icon7.gif

Bob

Joe Fisher
08-15-2006, 10:21 PM
hey Bob

here are those bowls no comparison to yours.

Sorry Joe I couldnt resist images/icons/icon7.gif

Bob
Har har ;) I think I'm going to have to get a hat that says 'Bob' on it now ;)

Those are pretty nice for not being sanded. I'd be curious to hear about your techniques. Bowl gouge? Side grind? Scrapers?

If I can learn to do less sanding, I'm all over it! :) On bowls that aren't gigantic, I can get a good surface, but it still needs some sanding. I usually go up to 320 on bowls.

-Joe

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Har har ;) I think I'm going to have to get a hat that says 'Bob' on it now ;)

Those are pretty nice for not being sanded. I'd be curious to hear about your techniques. Bowl gouge? Side grind? Scrapers?

If I can learn to do less sanding, I'm all over it! :) On bowls that aren't gigantic, I can get a good surface, but it still needs some sanding. I usually go up to 320 on bowls.

-Joe

I used one tool a 5/8 bowl guoge robert sorby Ive had it for ten years or so
I did sand these 120 grit orbital sander leaves no marks you can clear coat or oil.I used to sand to 1600 grit take all day for one turning but after seeing the difference between the two and most people dont know the difference. I cut clean no tear out and sand lightly mostly for bumps.

Bob

Joe Fisher
08-16-2006, 8:59 AM
I used one tool a 5/8 bowl guoge robert sorby Ive had it for ten years or so
I did sand these 120 grit orbital sander leaves no marks you can clear coat or oil.I used to sand to 1600 grit take all day for one turning but after seeing the difference between the two and most people dont know the difference. I cut clean no tear out and sand lightly mostly for bumps.

Bob
Cool. Do you use one of those air powered orbitals, like a Grex?

Thanks,

-Joe

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Cool. Do you use one of those air powered orbitals, like a Grex?

Thanks,

-Joe

Nope just a plain ol yellow dewalt electric. IM not fancy ,but I am lazy wich ,makes me want to do the easiest thing possible. : ) I use the same technic over and over . I cut off the corners and move in ,until the outside is to my liking .I hit the thing with my orbital and turn it over. I then ca glue the bowl to a premade wood base already centered on a face plate that is the same dimension of the base .(makes centering easy) er turn the inside basicly the same way. pad sand , hit it to pop it off sand the bottom to remove glue ,I use four drops.thats it.

Joe Fisher
08-19-2006, 8:57 PM
What's a big salad bowl without some nice salad servers?

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/salad%20servers.jpg

These were fast and fun to make. Rough shaped them on the BS from a piece of 4/4 cherry, then turned them on the lathe. Back to the BS to cut the "cheeks" off the flat ends, and finished up on a belt sander.

-Joe

Myrel Willeford
08-19-2006, 9:27 PM
Joe nice work good color like it a lot.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Joe.
Those are cool ! I have to make a bunch of those. I love cherry.
Well done!
Bob

Joe Fisher
08-20-2006, 2:06 PM
Thanks, guys! This is my first time working with cherry, and what a pleasure! Even bone-dry it was still a joy to turn. And darn if it ain't purdy :)

-Joe

Mark Pruitt
08-20-2006, 3:16 PM
Joe,
I just now caught this thread. Nice stuff! Tthe bowl and servers look great. I've been busy practicing what you taught me last month.
Mark

Joe Fisher
08-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Joe,
I just now caught this thread. Nice stuff! Tthe bowl and servers look great. I've been busy practicing what you taught me last month.
Mark
Great! Come up with any new pieces? Has your wife been thoroughly hooked yet? ;)

-Joe

Mark Pruitt
08-21-2006, 9:49 AM
Great! Come up with any new pieces? Has your wife been thoroughly hooked yet? ;)

-Joe
Three NE's this weekend. Roughed out from wet poplar, pine, and oak; need to be stored away for drying. Gee, I'd like to have a way to dry them NOW.:( :p Six months is a long time to wait.

Susan is still up to eyeballs in writing assignments, but periodically she'll come downstairs and check out what I'm up to. She's also been watching Bill's DVD and a Raffan video as well. It's going to get interesting when we both have something to turn!:eek: Guess I'll just have to buy a second lathe. Darn.:D Maybe mustard?
Mark

Joe Fisher
08-21-2006, 4:14 PM
Mark,

If you're impatient like me, try turning some of those NE's right to finished thickness. Just make sure they're on the thin side (around 1/4" give or take a little) to allow the walls to flex a little as they dry.

This bowl was done that way. Turned from a log to a bowl overnight. When I went to sign the bottom after a couple days of the bowl drying, the circles I had cut in were very noticeably oval. Kinda neat :)

-Joe