PDA

View Full Version : My recovery from a rough turning Saturday.....

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Yesterday, the LOML and I drove to Spokane and I bought some more turning wood. I bought some cherry as I like how it turns but I wasn't overly fond of what they had in stock. I also let the guy talk me into buying some tigerwood. The tigerwood is the most dense stuff I've ever held in my hands! I cut a piece and by 11:30 last night I had a new goblet stem finish turned but not parted from the lathe. I frictioned in some BLO last night and then early this morning I started frictioning some Zinzers (sp?) dewaxed shellac into it. I also turned captured two rings. Because of their ovely large size...I'm going to turn a couple more and cheat and put them on over the small end of the stem...but these two were turned captured ...Mrs. Fitzgerald witnessed their captured state and will testify to same. Anyone contesting Mrs. Fitzgerald's honesty will be sent down the hall to "time out" or " attitude adjustement"...whatever the current trend is........ I'd show the goblet but it's at the engravers
Tiger wood......6 1/2" by 3 1/8"............the last photo....two too large captured rings to be replaced by some smaller ones....

Barry Stratton
08-14-2006, 10:26 PM
to "time out" or " attitude adjustement"...whatever the current trend is

2 x 4's still work just fine BTW.

A FINE looking goblet stem, Ken. Beautiful wood as well. Please post a finished piece once the glass is back!

Forrest Price
08-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Aahhhhh....and a calm settles over the little town of Lewiston once again. All is well in the valley.

Nice job Ken!

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Ken that is a nice job. I like the wood and finish. Beautiful.

Scott Donley
08-15-2006, 2:31 AM
See, practice makes perfect, great job Ken.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 3:08 AM
Lovely work, Ken. Glad you made that recovery!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-15-2006, 12:20 PM
That is SOME recovery, Ken. Very nice!!!!!

Bruce

Keith Burns
08-15-2006, 3:37 PM
Great job Ken !!! I first thought the cup part looked knida small....then I remembered you were mounting a glass one........DUH:D :D