PDA

View Full Version : Darra/James Table Saw

Dick Brown
08-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Just bought a Darra/James 12 inch table saw. It no longer has the name plate and ID tag but I think it is a model 95. Would like to know if parts are available and if so where, what the original color was, It's age, what it is worth in fair condition, and any other info you might have. Need to decide if I want to restore it or maybe sell it like it is. Also in the deal was a 6 inch jointer that may or may not be a Delta of about the same vintage as the saw. Both are major heavy cast iron tools.
Thanks,
Dick Brown :confused:

Al Killian
08-14-2006, 10:30 PM
There is a web site for old machines called Old Wood Working Machines. Since Links are not allowed I just underlined the letters for there site. Conrats on your find and hopefully you will find what you need.

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 9:07 AM
The link that Al mentions is the initials followed by .org . The only reason it can't be directly linked to is that it is another forum site. But you now have enough information to get there... ;)

Welcome to SMC!

Jim

CPeter James
08-15-2006, 9:24 AM
I used to have one. It was a very well build and rugged machine. Mine had a 3/4" arbor, but I had a new one made that was 5/8" so I use could standard blades and accessories. I only sold it after I bought a PM66. It was very smooth and dead on as far a cutting straight. The original color was gray. Parts?? I replaced the bearings and hand wheels using parts from MSC as they are a standard item. I put a Vega Pro 52" fence on it and also Exactor sliding table and overarm blade guard.. It served me well for about ten years.

CPeter

Jeff Horton
08-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Actually the web site is OWWM.com (http://www.owwm.com) this is not a the forum so we should be able to post the link. dot org is the forum and while they are related, they are not the same web site. Different owners on each one.

Here is a link direct to the Darra-James (http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=240&PI=ALL&#PhotoIndex) section. Looks like a couple of '95's posted on there. I would have to restore it, but thats me. :)

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 5:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Jeff! I personally didn't know there were two sites.

Todd Davidson
03-28-2012, 3:02 PM
I just picked up 2 Darra James (Hybrid) Cabinet Saws (1 Model 95 & 1 Model 97) and am wondering if anybody is currently using one? They're both in fair to good shape and complete /original (aside from the missing blade guards and the motors - both have been outfitted with newer Baldors - 1 is 3 Phase 2HP & 1 is 1 Phase 5HP) but I'm ghoing to completely tear them down and do a ground up restortion. I'm contemplating keeping both of them and selling my General Int Cabinet Saw, but want to converse with a few people that own one. I'll head over to OWWM, but wanted to check in here first.

A few things.....

I'd love to get a 5/8" arbor manufactured for it - currently has a 3/4" arbor and takes a 12" blade - but have never done an arbor swap on a saw before so am unsure where to begin. I'd like to be able to use the assortment of 10" blades that I have.

I'm a little surprised that the extention wings and outfeed table are aluminum on a saw manufactured somewhere around 1947. Am guessing WWII and prioritizing metal/cast iron for the military had a lot to do with it.

Will post some pics of the

Rick Lizek
03-29-2012, 5:01 AM
You looking at the arbor thing all wrong. I'd bore it to 1" and bush it down to 3/4". Bushings are cheap. Then you could get 1" to 5/8" bushing to use on other saws. I do this on dado sets in our shop so I can use them on 1" and 5/8" arbors.

If you get so inclined you could remove the arbor and have a machine shop turn it into a 5/8" arbor which would certainly be cheaper than a new arbor.