View Full Version : New member & big questions

Anchul Axelrod
08-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Hello! My name is Anchul, pronounced On-chill. I am 41, a minister, and crazy about working wood. I have been reading the forum for some time, and just joined. I am so amazed at the kindness and helpfullness of the forum, and how so many celebrate with others over tool(toy) purchases, shops, and projects. Kudos!

I recently moved to MO, just put a contract on a home, which sits on 7 acres, and will be closing on it Sept.8th. Shortly after, a construction crew should be there to build my dream shop. It will be a 30 X 50 pole barn, insulated, metal sheeting, 3.5 ton heat pump, 10' walls, and a 12 X 50 shed porch on one side. Hence, questions . . .

First, I was thinking of putting a walk through door in the middle of the 50' wall that the porch is on. On one 30' side, a 8 x 9 insulated garage door for load in. Was also considering putting another 8 x 9 insulated door on the other 30' wall. I am a little hesitant about the garage doors due to DC and lights. Any thoughts, suggestions, and alternatives?

Second question . . . very vague . . . . set - up. Looking for opinions. I don't own software to graph out the shop. I own a lot of tools. The largest being . . .

3H Jet cabinet saw with excaliber sliding crosscut table and extension table.
Jet 6" jointer
Jet 16" planer
Makita SCMS
Sears RAS
Lathe (full size and pen)
DeWalt Scroll Saw
Sear Radial Arm Drill Press
Sharpening station (Tormek)
Station which houses grinder, Delta mortiser
2 Router tables
Router station which houses Leigh D4 & FMT
Jet DC-1100

I need to have lumber storage. I would like to frame out a finishing room also. Will also frame a small bathroom. So my new found friends . . . .any suggestions regarding set-up?? Any help from far more experienced people then me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Don Baer
08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Well Anchul that is a heck of an intro. Incase you ahven't noticed we lik epicture. Perhaps it might be easier if you put together a schetch of what you invision and let us change it for you. I personaly would put the loading doors on ead end (30 nft walls) and leave the porch for sitt'n.

Oh and welcome to the creek. Remember your boss was a carpenter...:D

Cecil Arnold
08-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Anchul, welcome to the creek. Somewhere on the Grizzly web site there is a shop layout program available, amd I think at one time John Lucas (see member list for his site) had a link to a layout program.

Roy Wall
08-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Anchul,

Welcome to SMC!

I don't know about where to put doors......but two garage doors would be important to get some NICE VENTILATION and a breeze in the shop.

Secondly, go to Grizzly website - the have "shop software" you can build and move around your machines..... just use your email address and a password. you can save multiple "shop setups" to save, print, (and post here on SMC) to get some expert opinions....

Good luck and looking forward to the new shop!

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 9:05 AM
Welcome, Anchul! SMC is a great community and I think you'll enjoy it.

BTW, there are several members of the clergy who are also avid woodworkers and SMC members...

Scott Loven
08-15-2006, 9:36 AM
I am building a 30'*34' garage/shop/garden shed with a 6'*34' porch on it. The porch wall will have two 36"*65" windows along with a full light door. I will try to do a sketch on Grizzly and post a link. I also need to take some pictures and will post those also.
Scott

Frank Fusco
08-15-2006, 9:38 AM
Anchul,

Welcome to SMC!

I don't know about where to put doors......but two garage doors would be important to get some NICE VENTILATION and a breeze in the shop.

Secondly, go to Grizzly website - the have "shop software" you can build and move around your machines..... just use your email address and a password. you can save multiple "shop setups" to save, print, (and post here on SMC) to get some expert opinions....

Good luck and looking forward to the new shop!

Heck, he can drive to Grizzly in Springfield, MO. Only about two hours away. That's a lot more funner than doing the internet thingy. Welcome Anchul.

Joe Blankshain
08-15-2006, 9:47 AM
Welcome to the Creek! There are a number of individuals that can/will assist you in this endeavour as they have or are in the process of building a dedicated shop. Best of luck.

George Conklin
08-15-2006, 9:55 AM
Welcome, Anchul.

I didn't see a lathe in that beautiful list of equipment:confused:

Please have this rectified by your next post;) .

Have a good day:) .

Sonny Porter
08-15-2006, 9:56 AM
I recently moved to MO, just put a contract on a home, which sits on 7 acres, and will be closing on it Sept.8th. Shortly after, a construction crew should be there to build my dream shop. It will be a 30 X 50 pole barn, insulated, metal sheeting, 3.5 ton heat pump, 10' walls, and a 12 X 50 shed porch on one side.

We'll be right over!

Jesse Cloud
08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the Creek Anchul.

Sounds like a wonderful shop you are building. One thought that comes to mind is to think soon about dust control and compressed air. You might want to place a large DC unit and a large compressor outside of the main shop for noise control. You might want to discharge your dust outside, too. You might want to have those items thought through before the bulders start...

Hope you will post lots of pics of your progress!

Chuck Saunders
08-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the neighborhood Anchul, my wifes' folks live in Warrensburg. Windows make for a happier shop.
Chuck

David Wilson
08-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Anchul
Welcome aboard.

Don Baer
08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Welcome, Anchul.

I didn't see a lathe in that beautiful list of equipment:confused:

Please have this rectified by your next post;) .

Have a good day:) .

Geez George, you want to borrow my reading Glases ?

"3H Jet cabinet saw with excaliber sliding crosscut table and extension table.
Jet 6" jointer
Jet 16" planer
Makita SCMS
Sears RAS
Lathe (full size and pen)
DeWalt Scroll Saw
Sear Radial Arm Drill Press
Sharpening station (Tormek)
Station which houses grinder, Delta mortiser
2 Router tables
Router station which houses Leigh D4 & FMT
Jet DC-1100 "

But I don't see a band saw, comes in handy to prepare blanks

Jerry Olexa
08-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome aboard..You're certainly no beginner..Glad to have you...

Ron Blaise
08-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a very nice shop (part of that abundant life eh?).
Happy Sawdust,

tod evans
08-15-2006, 12:38 PM
welcome anchul!

Jerry Strojny
08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the Creek....waters warm.

Bryan Somers
08-15-2006, 1:07 PM
Welcome to the creek. You will find some good folks here, and while I dont post often the few times I have asked questions the responces have been very helpful.

Nice tool collection, You have given me a case of "Tool Envy"

Larry Browning
08-15-2006, 2:02 PM
Anchul,
A few random thoughts.
I built a 30X42 shop a few years ago and the help on this forum is extremely valuable. There are mountains of information for you to ponder over in the post history of SMC. Do a search on "new Shop", "Shop ideas", "shop layout", or maybe more specific like "Shop doors" or "Shop lighting" or maybe even just "Shop". Also, as you go along, don't assume that you will build it in a particular way, leave your mind open for some new ideas. If you don't do these things, one day you will read a post, and say to yourself, "Man! I wish I had done that to my shop!" Take the time to really think things through, from top to bottom. You will probably only do this once or maybe twice (if you are lucky) in your lifetime. Get all the input you can get your hands on, and SMC is a really great source, but it is only one, there are lots of others.
As for the Garage doors, I really didn't like to idea of a overhead door, it takes up too much overhead space. I thought about a sliding barn door, but thought that would be too hard to open and close. I ended up with a 6ft double entry door that I installed swinging out. It is perfect for me, but may not be for you. I also made a decision to make this a woodworking only shop, no cars allowed. This changed many things and allowed me to have a wooden floor, a smaller door, a loading dock, and more. Always remember as you make decisions about your shop, you are building this for your enjoyment, make it so that you just can't wait to get in there and stay all day!

Have fun!!!!

Oh, and welcome to the creek!!!!

Randy Long
08-15-2006, 3:46 PM
Welcome to the Sawmill Creek. I'm too much of a newbe to be of help with your shop but I can say Hi and Welcome.

Randy