PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Door panels flat

Steve Clardy
10-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Here is a way I keep my glued up door panels flat if I'm not quite ready to profile them and get them set into the door frames. Just stack them up and clamp them together.
I sent this idea to Wood Magazine a couple years ago for their woodworking tips and they said it didn't justify being published. I think it does, as it does keep the panels from going astray before being put together. Steve

Ron Meadows
10-02-2003, 1:33 PM
Good on you Steve!! I do the same thing, with one minor variation. I clamp them to my assembly table. Since my assembly table is nice and flat the panels are guaranteed to stay that way too.

Ron

Steve Clardy
10-02-2003, 6:25 PM
Good on you Steve!! I do the same thing, with one minor variation. I clamp them to my assembly table. Since my assembly table is nice and flat the panels are guaranteed to stay that way too.

Ron

Tell me about your assembly table.
I'm fixing to redo mine. I have a 4x8 and a 4x6 that stay cluttered for the most part. I want to throw both of these out and build 1 4x12 with drawers and such underneath. Maybe a sanding station on one end. Post a pic of yours if you can. Steve

David Rose
10-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Steve, I guess the idea is too obvious and simple to publish. Hogwash! It's those simple, obvious ideas that someone just didn't happen to think of that get used.

I usually stack mine stickered. If one is unruly, as usual, he warps away. I don't know if it makes a hill of beans difference, but I like the idea of air flow around the stack. Next time it will be clamped too! Thanks from at least one of the readers. :p

Now I gotta go buy a few large C-clamps... grumble grumble..

David

Steve Clardy
10-02-2003, 11:53 PM
You mean something like this under my bench? Come on up, will loan you some till my next staircase job. Steve

David Rose
10-03-2003, 12:06 AM
That's it! You like to use those "G-cramps", doncha? :D I would love to get up there one day. That haul of nice walnut from the BBQ was a great enticement too!

My clamp rack has mostly long Bessies, a couple of sets of pipe clamps for reeeeally long stuff, a bunch of quick squeezers, a few other odds and ends and... two whole c-clamps! I think c-clamps would beat the quick sqeeze type for this purpose. Besides, I need every one of those suckers if I need more than two. :rolleyes: I'm trying to develop the habit of clamping with fewer clamps. Otherwise one day I will do a big project and need to own a clamp company.

David

Ed Falis
10-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Tell me about your assembly table.
I'm fixing to redo mine. I have a 4x8 and a 4x6 that stay cluttered for the most part. I want to throw both of these out and build 1 4x12 with drawers and such underneath. Maybe a sanding station on one end. Post a pic of yours if you can. Steve

If I were building one now, I'd definitely consider building a torsion box for the top to make and keep it flat.

- Ed

Brad Schafer
10-03-2003, 12:10 PM
You mean something like this under my bench? Come on up, will loan you some till my next staircase job. Steve

Good GRIEF. The National Debt - in clamps. Amazed, :eek:

b

Steve Clardy
10-03-2003, 1:08 PM
If I were building one now, I'd definitely consider building a torsion box for the top to make and keep it flat.

- Ed

Ed, tell me about your torsion box. Do you mean to x-brace the table? Steve

Steve Clardy
10-03-2003, 1:36 PM
Good GRIEF. The National Debt - in clamps. Amazed, :eek:

b
Yes on the national. Maybe I should take Davids advice and buy into a clamp co. Heres some more.
Hmmm, and USP just delivered 12 more cabinet master clamps. Steve