PDA

View Full Version : Small Gloat - New Bosch

John Bailey
08-14-2006, 9:54 PM
About 11 yrs. ago I bought the only drill I could afford at the time, a $39 Grizzly. It served me well folks, I've no complaints. But, after dropping off the roof quite a few times, and my son using it as a go-cart engine, it finally bit the dust and I had my chance to get the Bosch. Nice!!

Now, if I can just find some way of breaking the Craftsman random orbital sander and jigsaw....

John

Peter Pedisich
08-14-2006, 10:17 PM
John,

That Bosch is a nice drill, I've looked closely at that drill (brute tough line) after my 2nd!!! Panasonic 12v was knocked off my bench (by me:o ) and with each one the chuck or shaft got bent and bits wobble.
Next time its a Bosch brute tough!

Enjoy it!

Pete

Bob Aquino
08-15-2006, 7:25 AM
I have a whole collection of Bosch blue in the shop, you will like the drill. Is that a 12 or 14.4 Volt model, cant tell from the pix. I have an older 14 v drill, circ saw, jigsaw and about 5 batteries. I find them very handy, especially for use outside.

John Bailey
08-15-2006, 7:36 AM
Bob,

It's the 14.4 model.

John

Matt Meiser
08-15-2006, 7:42 AM
Congratulations on the new drill.

and my son using it as a go-cart engine

I've got to hear more about this. :eek:

John Bailey
08-15-2006, 8:17 AM
Matt,

When my son was 12, he built a go-cart out of old wood and some wheels off an old lawn mower and some buggy wheels he probably stole from some baby. Anyway, he got some gears from a friend and they were able to get the gears on the axle. I asked him how he was going to power it and all he told me was he was working on it. To my horror, the next day, he was using my Grizzly 14.4v drill. At first, I wanted to kill him, but the thing worked. He would sit on the cart with his hand behind him and pull the trigger. It was the only cart around that had reverse. He drove that cart around the neighborhood for a couple of months, cracked the casing on the drill, almost caused a number of accidents, and all the time had a bang-up good time. I couldn't stay mad at him.

I kept taping that drill up for 11 yrs. as I hate throwing things away that still work. I'm getting to the point that I'm having to replace most of my handtools because they are just wearing out. Most are 20 yr. old Craftsman that have given me great service. However, the quality of the new tools is like playing a different game.

John

Brad Townsend
08-15-2006, 8:35 AM
Matt,

When my son was 12, he built a go-cart out of old wood and some wheels off an old lawn mower and some buggy wheels he probably stole from some baby. Anyway, he got some gears from a friend and they were able to get the gears on the axle. I asked him how he was going to power it and all he told me was he was working on it. To my horror, the next day, he was using my Grizzly 14.4v drill. At first, I wanted to kill him, but the thing worked. He would sit on the cart with his hand behind him and pull the trigger. It was the only cart around that had reverse. He drove that cart around the neighborhood for a couple of months, cracked the casing on the drill, almost caused a number of accidents, and all the time had a bang-up good time. I couldn't stay mad at him.

I kept taping that drill up for 11 yrs. as I hate throwing things away that still work. I'm getting to the point that I'm having to replace most of my handtools because they are just wearing out. Most are 20 yr. old Craftsman that have given me great service. However, the quality of the new tools is like playing a different game.

John If you sent this story on to Shiraz Balolia, we might see it published in the next Grizzly catalog. It's great!:D

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 8:49 AM
Congrats on the new tool, John!!

Now as to those you want to break...you just need to get creative. I recall a story that someone told me a long time ago about a woman who was frustrated that her boss wouldn't buy a new fax machine. The existing one was on live 10 of 9 and so frustrating to (try to) use. Then one night a paperclip "accidentally" fell into the little cooling slots, causing a "Rice Crispies" moment. Boss bought two new fax machines as they were on sale... ;)

Jesse Cloud
08-15-2006, 10:13 AM
I have an older model of the same drill. Love it. And it has survived several falls from benches, tops of ladders, etc. You may really have a problem when it comes time to retire this one;)

Matt Meiser
08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
If you sent this story on to Shiraz Balolia, we might see it published in the next Grizzly catalog. It's great!:D

I agree. That is a great story.

Randal Stevenson
08-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Heck, if you sent them pictures, I wonder if they would send you a drill, and HIM a drill. LOL

Matt Meiser
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Heck, if you sent them pictures, I wonder if they would send you a drill, and HIM a drill. LOL

They'll upgrade him to a 24V for more power though. :D

Charles Wilson
08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
The 18 V Brute tough is a heck of a drill too. May FIL was helping me put in a deadbolt and asked if I needed a drill. I told him that I had an 18v Bosch. He told me that he would bring a corded drill b/c the cordless would not be able to do the job. Low and behold, the Bosch drilled both of the holes for the deadbolt on less than half of a charge. My FIL response, "Tell your MIL that she can buy me that drill for Christmas.":rolleyes:

Regards,
Chuck

Randal Stevenson
08-15-2006, 1:03 PM
My first access to Bosch drills, was a 12v my mother got as a promotion for test driving a car (for dad). We asked her to test drive some more and get us EACH one, LOL.

Ed Nelson978
08-15-2006, 1:12 PM
Good drill. I bought one that has served me well. The other day I was in Lowes and they had just the drill and battery (no case or charger) listed for $50, Figured what the heck, I now have one I can leave in the shop and one I can take to jobs. They only issue I've hade was a little puff of smoke after running seeral 3/8 lag screws into ceiling joists to hang one of those Hyloft shelf systems. No problem since!