PDA

View Full Version : Holly and new turning

Brian McInturff
08-14-2006, 8:57 PM
Well, due to the rain I didn't get a chance to cut up much of the holly but what I did cut looked pretty good. I have to cut it outside so that was the main problem. Chainsaws and rain don't go well together. Anyway, I did work on my roughed out NE bowl but I ran into some problems. I turned it and left enough thickness, I thought. Well the warping was pretty significantin being out of round. I finished turning the outside but as you can see it still has some I guess what I'd call catches. It's pretty thin on one side now and that keeps me from doing much more spinning to try and clean it up. Worse yet, the inside isn't anywhere near as smooth as I'd like. Never had this problem before. Maybe I'm used to a tougher wood or my hand was heavy but I think the way it was egg shaped has led to my problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm still pleased with it over all but it's not perfect. I thought about just sanding until it cleans up and if that's the verdict then I guess that's what I'll do. I tried the skew and it worked in some of the areas but not in the ones left(or my technique just gave out). Thanks again and be patient on the Holly coming to those who are expecting it. File is too large to upload and my photo program isn't on this computer. It's less than a meg though. Brian
http://stampclassics.com/images/creations/New%20turnings%20004.jpg

Lee DeRaud
08-14-2006, 9:10 PM
Doesn't seem to be anything wrong that sandpaper won't cure. Good thing too, because there's what looks like a nasty crack over on the left side: I'd be afraid of this piece exploding on you if you spun it much longer.

Brian McInturff
08-14-2006, 9:39 PM
The crack formed during the DNA process and I sealed it with CA. It's in good shape. The CA wisked through and formed a good bond. It actually shows up better in the pic than in person. Brian