PDA

View Full Version : MY first hollow twist

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-14-2006, 8:47 PM
Hello Every One.

I had a couple of spare minutes and decided to try something my boss was telling everyone I could do , so after a few trys I finally managed to get one close to correct .It probably would have been better if I wasnt using my own reject post but here it is.

oh ya and I did it all with a skew! :)

Bob

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 9:39 PM
Impressive Robert. Nice work

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-14-2006, 9:41 PM
Thank you Ernie.kind of a bad picture.

Ben Werner
08-14-2006, 10:09 PM
HOLY COW!!!! how do you do that??!! :eek: Tutorial Please!!!!

Stephen Hibbs
08-14-2006, 10:41 PM
I vote tutorial, that thing is abolutely amazing!!! Great job!

Andy Hoyt
08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm staying outta this. Last time I voted on a tutorial to be done by someone else I got tutored in how not to vote for a tutorial by someone else.

News at 11 - in another day or so.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-14-2006, 11:21 PM
thanks you guys are always too kind. I can see if I can come up with something for you guys if you want a my twist on turning twists. <--- pun
Im loaded with projects right now so it might be awhile.

Bob

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I'd be interested in how it was done, too!

Bruce

Dennis Peacock
08-14-2006, 11:51 PM
I'd be interested in how it was done, too!

Bruce

Yup, count me in on the curious of how you did that spiral cutting. Inquiring minds wanna know. :D

Michael Cody
08-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Are using Stuart Mortimer's techniques or something similar for the twist? I got to spend 4 hours watching him @ a seminar .. it's fascinating to watch him work. If you layout the stuff right, the work is pretty straightforward, but the layout was sorta detailed and complex to me.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 3:05 AM
Robert, Wow... Howintheheck did you manage do do an open twist with only a skew?! Unless you have a rose engine lathe or something similar we don't know about... :)

Glenn Hodges
08-15-2006, 4:35 AM
You are to be commended for your patience and fortitude. I have watched Stuart Mortimer do his twist at a national seminar, and I also concur the layout is precise and time consuming. Get yourself some good rasps, right? I know the amount of work that went into making this twist, and I appreciate your talent, and thank you for posting it here.

Andy Hoyt
08-15-2006, 8:07 AM
I know the answer and it lies within.

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 8:13 AM
Fantastic piece and I'm with others asking for a tutorial!

Jeff Myers
08-15-2006, 8:45 AM
I'm stunned, that's amazing talent there!!!!!!!!!!
Count me in on the curious-need to know-tutorial !!!

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 9:18 AM
Kewel...and "air filled" bonker! :D

Seriously, very nice job. Based on articles I've read and demonstrations I've seen, these things require a lot of patience to make and you did an outstanding job on it.

Mark Pruitt
08-15-2006, 9:25 AM
Fantastic piece and I'm with others asking for a tutorial!
Chris, if he enters this in the skew contest I think I might already know the outcome.:D

Robert, that's an awesome piece. Looking forward to seeing how you did it.

Mark

Frank Fusco
08-15-2006, 9:47 AM
OK, now I quit and take up knitting. ;) Howjadodat? :confused:

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 9:54 AM
Chris, if he enters this in the skew contest I think I might already know the outcome.:D

Robert, that's an awesome piece. Looking forward to seeing how you did it.

Mark

Not to question Robert's integrity but, I see a couple of details that would make me wonder about all of it being done with a skew. I think he was pulling our legs (collectively):o

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 5:27 PM
Chris, the piece could easily be turned with a skew since the spiraling is done manually after the spindle is completed. ;) Without using some form of ornamental lathe, you can't "turn" a spiral...

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 5:34 PM
Chris, the piece could easily be turned with a skew since the spiraling is done manually after the spindle is completed. ;) Without using some form of ornamental lathe, you can't "turn" a spiral...

Hence, the piece isn't turned with a skew. It might be started with one but... Also, there is another feature on that piece that can't be made with a skew. Can you find it?

Andy Hoyt
08-15-2006, 5:45 PM
...... Also, there is another feature on that piece that can't be made with a skew. Can you find it? It is the "Dug Fluties".

You guys need to do some "research" to find out what kind of lathe Robert fires up every day.

Gary Max
08-15-2006, 5:56 PM
Maybe a Legacy ?????????????

Jerry Strojny
08-15-2006, 6:28 PM
I'm in for a turorial. That looks very cool.

Spiral....with nothing in middle....amazing....I'm so lost...

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 7:51 PM
It is the "Dug Fluties".

You got it, good for you Andy!

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 8:15 PM
HI EVERYONE!

Thank you for all the hoop la , but as Andy has pointed out that I did not turn the newel with a skew sorry ,It was a joke ,I did not intend it to be taken seriously . I just got home from work so , Ill explain a bit. I use a hydrolic duplicator. I make a pattern to within thousands of an inch , make a blank, set up the machine dial in the diameter, and turn the post takes ten minutes. I then tear the lathe down set up the mechanism for fluting twisting etc. set up the correct gears and with a bit of luck . walla! ITs not that easy and there is a million small things that go bad. but thats it . I did turn a hickory bowl at break time today. bout ten inches two inches deep it was fun....

Bob

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 8:27 PM
HI EVERYONE!

Thank you for all the hoop la , but as Andy has pointed out that I did not turn the newel with a skew sorry ,It was a joke ,I did not intend it to be taken seriously . I just got home from work so , Ill explain a bit. I use a hydrolic duplicator. I make a pattern to within thousands of an inch , make a blank, set up the machine dial in the diameter, and turn the post takes ten minutes. I then tear the lathe down set up the mechanism for fluting twisting etc. set up the correct gears and with a bit of luck . walla! ITs not that easy and there is a million small things that go bad. but thats it . I did turn a hickory bowl at break time today. bout ten inches two inches deep it was fun....

Bob

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Tutorial still riquired.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 8:42 PM
OK I will but it will take some time,to collect data, are you interested in the hollow part or the whole process? I will be turning a 6 1/2 inch canary wood twist for a client thursday and friday afternoons but it is not hollow.Will that do for now?It will be the same set of steps minus one or two.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Tutorial still riquired.
Bob

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 8:45 PM
Just for the record I have about a thousand hours in on skews....

Bob

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 8:50 PM
Just for the record I have about a thousand hours in on skews....

I would be insane after about 10 minutes with one.... :eek::rolleyes::p:D

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 8:52 PM
OK I will but it will take some time,to collect data, are you interested in the hollow part or the whole process? I will be turning a 6 1/2 inch canary wood twist for a client thursday and friday afternoons but it is not hollow.Will that do for now?It will be the same set of steps minus one or two.

Bob

Bob,

I say that in jest because we are all impressed and amazed and we just want to know more. No insult implied. It was supposed to be a joke but, I forgot to put the smily face behind it.:o :) :eek: ;) :D :(

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-15-2006, 9:32 PM
Oh ya im off the hook .

I hate writing manuals..eeewww :) images/icons/icon7.gif

Bob

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-16-2006, 8:04 AM
HA! So you ARE using an ornamental lathe! I KNEW it! :)

Mark Pruitt
08-16-2006, 8:14 AM
Oh ya im off the hook .

I hate writing manuals..eeewww :) images/icons/icon7.gif

Bob
I for one would still like to see a picture of the tool in use, if possible.:)

Mark

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Mark
Ask and you shall recieve.Picture with turning attachment,not set up for twisting.

See post Couple of pictures of my lathe....

I for one would still like to see a picture of the tool in use, if possible.:)

Mark